Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Major electrical gremlin... help please!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
90RSrocks

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Major electrical gremlin... help please! Reply with quote

Last night on the way home a problem started. The battery meter went past the maximum and pegged out, and the headlights/interior lights all went super bright. It looked like whatever is supposed to regulate the electricity stopped working. When I pulled over and let the engine idle, the problem went away a little, but as soon as I revved it got just as bad. I shut it off a couple times after I got home but it was just as bad when I restarted it. It also gave a SES light every time I revved the engine. I thought I was going to have an electrical fire or blow the battery up. Sad

This morning I went out to pull the codes but the car was dead. Not even a hint of power left in the battery. I thought about jumping it and pulling the codes after letting run for a while (to charge the battery) but I don't want to run it much until I fix the problem. I don't want to toast my electrical system.
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a new alternator. Sad
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Rod's right. The regulators built into the alternator. Sounds like it fried.
90RSrocks

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least its something that isn't too hard to replace, just a bit spendy. Guess I better look around for a cheap but decent replacement.

Thanks for the help, guys. You rock Cool
Camaro350Z28

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of alt you got, i got a 68 or 72 amp lil stock thing sittin in my garage that you could pretty much have, its for an 85 camaro with the quardajet im not sure what your runnin, but just throwin it out there

Tim
90RSrocks

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to run out and look in the morning, I'm not sure. All the ones that I found while looking online this afternoon were 100 or 105 amp, so I don't know what to go with. Supposedely they were the correct ones for my engine/electrical combo, but I certainly don't know. arg... it was much easier replacing the alternator in the wife's Probe, only one kind for all models/years. I couldn't expect that much from Chevy though! Rolling Eyes
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know that the 85 will fit his car, since he has a serp. belt setup. only way i could think of it working, is if the mounting holes are the same, and then he swaps pullies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
90RSrocks

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the new alternator is in, and I tried to jumpstart the car.

Unfortunately, when I try to hook up the jumper cables, it emits a shower of sparks when I try to attach the final connection. I tried hooking them up + to+ and - to -, and also swapped it just to make sure I was covering all my bases. Same result either way. I've never seen this except if you hook it up wrong, but I know I've tried both ways to no avail. Sad

I got the alternator hooked up correctly, and everything is put back together. What the heck is going on??? Confused
Camaro350Z28

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, somethin is apparently tweakin, id figure it might be the jumper cables? cause if your gettin sparks like thats tryin to jump but your not gettin any sparks just from hookin up the battery then theres somethin way wrong, id guess jumper cables but im not too great with electrical...

Tim
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i'd buy a new battery too and just use the old one for a core.

Soon to be less than stock
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly you really dont want to try and charge the battery with the alternator. You'll just end up frying the new alternator. I'd take the battery out and have it charged then tested. If things arc bad when you go to hook it up again then you must have a bad short somewhere. The arcing now could either be from a short, or just from the dead battery trying to suck the juice from the good one.

Anyway, charge that baby first or you'll overheat the alternator and it wont last as long.
90RSrocks

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Les Schwab down the street can charge it and test it for me. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tips guys. Hail hail
90RSrocks

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I borrowed a friends battery charger and tried that, no charge in the battery after many hours of trickle charging. To test if it is a battery problem, I took a known good battery out of the van and put it in the Camaro. When I tried to hook it up, I again got a shower of sparks. I guess it's an electrical system problem, not a battery problem. Sad

I have no idea where to start looking for the problem though, having no experience working on the electrical system for this car. I didn't see any obvious fraying or damage in my examination of the lines running from the battery.

Could that new alternator I put in be bad/defective? Might that give these symptoms? I just can't understand how it could run ok the night it started acting up, and then have this major electrical short the next day. Nothing changed in the electrical system except the alternator. Mad

Any suggestions you guys???
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try unhooking the wires off the back of the alternator and see if that changes anything.
90RSrocks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure enough, I disconnected the new alternator, and then tried charging it and had no problems. I took the alt back in and told them what was going on, so they tried to check if it was good and their machine said it was bad. They replaced it right away. The new one is in and the charger has been trickle-charging it for a few hours. Soon it should be good as new!

Thanks much for the help everyone, it saved me alot of time and $ hunting the problem down. Cool
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in time for Cows!
90RSrocks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell ya! Very Happy And, to top it off, it sounds like we may be able to make it Friday afternoon instead of trying to make it up there early Sat for the car show. Cool
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome news Kelly! Glad that you will have the mean machine for the gathering. See you Friday when you get there!

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quality of new parts is AWE inspiring isnt it? Rolling Eyes Good to hear its up and running though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: