Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wow, insurance is nuts. o_O

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laserbeak

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Wow, insurance is nuts. o_O Reply with quote

I was looking into a possible replacement for my car if it ever gets sold, so I wanted something that was fun for me to drive, yet still somewhat practical, but I didn't have the budget for a car in the range of the GTO/350Z, nor was I interested in purchasing a used car. So I thought I'd see how a WRX/STi looked, and it looked ok, but the only problem was that it has a history of having major understeer problems.

So then I went to look at an EVO VIII. Roomier than the Grand Am I'm using for now, 4 doors, 4 cylinder + turbo. Should be cheaper to insure, right?

WRONG.

Here's my insurance right now:

Insurance: 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
* Bodily Injury Liability: $300,000/$300,000
* Property Damage Liability: $100,000
* Basic Personal Injury Protection: Option B
* Underinsured Motorist: $300,000/$300,000
* Underinsured Motorist Property Damage: $10,000
* Comprehensive: $500.00 deductible
* Collision: $500.00 deductible
* Emergency Road Service: Non-deductible

Premium: $287.20 every 6 months.

---------

Insurance: 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
* Bodily Injury Liability: $300,000/$300,000
* Property Damage Liability: $100,000
* Basic Personal Injury Protection: Option B
* Underinsured Motorist: $300,000/$300,000
* Underinsured Motorist Property Damage: $10,000
* Comprehensive: $500.00 deductible
* Collision: $500.00 deductible
* Emergency Road Service: Non-deductible

Premium: $684.10 every 6 months.

MY GOD, that's TRIPLE what I'm paying now for the SAME COVERAGE! Shocked

Damn punk kids and their driving habits. Mad

I can't wait until I turn 25. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think i would buy the Evo, i have heard of alot of problems with thier breaks, and engines. they are running on the raged edge, IIRC it runs over 30psi out of the box, there isn't alot of longevity built into that car.

Mitsubishi is set to go bankrupt shortly. I think GM is pulling out, and just going to let them sink.

The Evo's have been known around the world (long before they came to the US) as being a fast, but low quality car, one of the cars you buy, trash, and try to sell in 2 years, before everything goes to hell on it.

What is it you are looking for in a car, after eyeing a 05 STi that Bart swung buy, and eyeing the over $35k pricetag, if i was looking i would be leaning towards the Audi's if i was looking for a small AWD toy. Especialy considering the lack of a used market for the higher end sports sedans. (i know you said you don't want used...) You can pick up a 2 year old S4 for a good deal. (read: mid-low 20's sometimes less). and i would say that the build quality along with fit/finish of the german cars is far better than that of the scubies/mitsu. And you are rolling around in a car that 2 years earlier, was near or above 50k.

Also, the demagraphic for the Audis are far better than the tuner cars, i would bet insurance would be similar to those other cars, possibly even lower.

----------------

Insurance.

It is still a sports car, i would wager if you dig into it, that liability is similar, but you are paying for collision on a 20k+ car, instead of on a $2000 car. there is a big diffrence that the insurance company has to pick up somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

May I reccomend a 240sx? My buddy has one and we just turbocharged it, it is laying down somewhere between 215 and 250hp and this thing freaking hauls.

And with an inline 5, I doubt insurance would be to bad.

Or you could always get something like an audi 4000 quattro with a turbo.

You got a lot of possibilities... But those insurance rates are ridiculous.

Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to buy the cheap model and charge it. Much cheaper.

It's like taking a v6 camaro and putting a big block in it. Cheaper insurance than a 305 TPI Rolling Eyes
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

count your blessings man,my insurance on my 84 t/a L69 was 100 a month,and my 98 dodge for full coverage is 380 a month,i only have one ticket Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mangus

1989 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laser -

Who is your insurance carrier?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: