Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Porting/polishing the TPI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Project_1986_TA

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Porting/polishing the TPI Reply with quote

I posted this over on TGO but want a few other opinions. Im thinking of porting the pluenum, runners, and maybe the base too (maybe even Siamesing it (SP?) ) along with polishing the the pluenum, runners, fuel rails and TB but have a few questions.

1) How long does it take (on average) and how involved is it to do this?

2) I hear porting the intake manifold isn't worth the risk and just isn't worth it?

3) How far do you port with out screwing things up?

4) Porting wont effect the Custom chip i had done?

5) How much would a shop charge to do the porting if i took everything off? Just currious because if its cheap enough i may just have someone else do it.

Im trying to gain any bit of HP (leagaly Sad ) for little or no money at all and also to clean up the engine bay a bit. I plan on making a custom CAI soon too.
So do you guys think its worth doing or should i just polish it and waite a few years for the real engine build up?

1999 Black Trans Am-Auto/ Stock
2K7 Yamaha R6S-Yoshimura Race Slip on
2K5 Yamaha R6- RIP Sad
1986 Trans Am WS6-Sold Sad
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Porting/polishing the TPI Reply with quote

Project_1986_TA wrote:

1) How long does it take (on average) and how involved is it to do this?

It can be as involved as you want it to be. I ported my plenum and polished it and the runners. Took me a few days of sanding away. If you don't have an orbital sander and a dremel, don't even think about it. Takes about an hour of grinding to do the plenum. The polishing is what takes the longest but looks good when you're done. Orbital sander with some 80grit to take the casting out. SOME you will have to do by hand but most can be hit with the sander. Then move to like 120 grit, 220, 400, wetsand 400. Then use a polish.

The hardest part is getting into the ribs ontop. What I did is sand it down a little, and then painted the ribs. You might want to spend $25 if you do this, and pick of the corvette aluminum plenum extension and polish it too. Or the plasic stocker looks fugly!

2) I hear porting the intake manifold isn't worth the risk and just isn't worth it?

The only thing you could get out of porting the intake, is just taking off this little tiny ridge that is about 1/2" into the top of the runners. You have to take the intake off to port it. Don't, it's not worth it.

3) How far do you port with out screwing things up?
When you pull the throttle body off, you'll see two flat spots that protrude into the air path. You grind those down round in each throttle bore. Dont worry about porting anything else in it.

4) Porting wont effect the Custom chip i had done?
No it wont.

5) How much would a shop charge to do the porting if i took everything off? Just currious because if its cheap enough i may just have someone else do it.
Good luck finding a shop to do it, and it wont be cheap.
Project_1986_TA

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if using the Chrome engine paint would look good on the TPI? I cant find any high temp paint that comes close to my car so i thought about painting it chrome.
Gibby85

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eee gads, do not use chrome in a can.....it's more like silver and not very nice.

www.cardomain.com/id/gibbys85
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibby85 wrote:
Eee gads, do not use chrome in a can.....it's more like silver and not very nice.
MEXICHROME! haha
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side not, paint your engine engine bay. Engine/hoses/wiring and all and you can get mad $$ on eBay for having a custom chrome car!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: