Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4th gen woes :(

View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbo_jimi

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: 4th gen woes :( Reply with quote

I know it's a 4th gen, but I really could use some help. I'm getting a "winding" noise from rear end while driving and some other weird noise from the tranny(5speed). Or at least that is where it seems it's coming from. Thanks,

TJ

1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11
Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy just had that problem! I'll ask him what it was tomorrow and post back. The noises are only there when your driving right?
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles on the car? Have you checked the rear axle fluid?
turbo_jimi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only when driving...the winding sound increases with accelaration and decreases with decelaration...when just sitting, no noise, and when in neutral in motion, the noise does not increase when I step on the gas...going to check the rear axle fluid this morning...need to buy a large square shaped alan wrench...

1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noise is speed dependant, and not RPM depenedant?

If that is the case, it is going to be tranny tailshaft or further back. At least that narrows it down. I agree, I would start by pulling the cover, and giving the rear and a once over. you might also get under there, and try to spin the driveshaft by had as fast as you can, and see if you can hear the noise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
turbo_jimi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, it's speed dependant...i lubed it up, as it was low (can't trust certain mechanics to do their job, I guess Sad ) The noise still persists. I will try to turn the drive to see if i hear anything. I'm starting to think it might be a bad bearing. I've got my appointmen with a shop on Friday if all else fails. Sad

Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo_jimi wrote:
only when driving...the winding sound increases with accelaration and decreases with decelaration...when just sitting, no noise, and when in neutral in motion, the noise does not increase when I step on the gas...going to check the rear axle fluid this morning...need to buy a large square shaped alan wrench...

just take a half inch drive socket and extension and it should come right off.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found out 3/8 rachet did the trick...filled it up, but now to the bad news...#1 noise is a bad cat...looking at 150-200 to replace...#2 noise is the passenger wheel bearing(s)...replacement of both sides ~$100...now for the #3 noise and this really blows....the center support bearing...for some reason, GM equipped the V6 Models with a 2-piece driveshaft and made sure you couldn't just replace the center bearing and that you have to buy a whole new unit for a whopping 600 bucks! If that isn't BS! , I don't know what is. So, just out of curiosity, will a one-piece from a V8 work? From what I found, they are cheaper.

BTW...the rear end is in good shape so I still don't need to worry about that. YET!

Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that center bearing is what it was on my buddies car. costed him $900.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe they are interchangable, i know 3rd gen guys run 4th gen driveshafts somtimes. i have heard of them grabbing the 2-piece units. but i don't know if that is because the one piece units are harder to find in junkyard or because they won't fit. i would call your local driveline shope.

as far as wheel bearings... can't you do that yourself? that is a prety easy job on a thirdgen, is it that much harder on a 4th gen? you can save alot of cash doing the smaller jobs yourself. the cat you will have to outsource unless you have a welder. and the driveline should be easy to swap out yourself, but the cost of the unit is the big $$$.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking rear bearings? or front wheel bearings? IIRC on 4thgens, the front wheel bearings aren't replaceable, you have to get a new hub assembly.

If it is the rears, it isn't too bad, you just need a slide hammer, so you can get the old stuff out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PonchoTA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
... If it is the rears, it isn't too bad, you just need a slide hammer, so you can get the old stuff out.

Don't even need that, just use the C-clip groove on the axle to pop the old bearing out (gently!) and wooden block and hammer to put the new one in. Take about an hour for the whole job.

RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well James, now you have an excuse to drive the '85 to work! Very Happy
turbo_jimi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the cool responses! as for doing all the work myself, it is possible, but being that the 98 is my primary transportation and my current job requires that I drive my car, I'd prefer the shop to take care of some of it. I'll probably do the drive line seeing that I can get an aluminum driveshaft for $150 vs. 600 for stock. i'll see how much the parts are and make my final decision then. again, thanks and I'm sure i'll comment more about this even though its a 4th gen. Smile

turbo_jimi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, here's the lowdown...so far...Sad

car was making a hellava noise(s) last night driving home...thought the rear end was going to fall off of the car!

this has what has been done so far

new fabricated 3" aluminum driveshaft...took care of one banging noise
new rear wheel bearings...took care of another noise...they were thrashed
new rear brakes, rotors and pads...took care of yet another noise (wear indicators that were combined with the wheelbearing noise)
rear diff serviced...hoped to be a preventive measure, but i guess not as there is still a noise in there
tranny fluid drained and filled (5speed)....hell, i already know i need a new clutch, but wanted to freshen it up

still need new cat, but will look for a less expensive place to do it

as mentioned rear diff still making a noise, so they will inspect to see what's up

well that's all for now...hopefully Rolling Eyes

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is when you know it's time to put some of that Marvel Mystery crapola in the rear end and sell it as fast as you can. Razz
turbo_jimi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, need to keep it running til 09 as i don't want to buy a car and want to have money to put into the 85 when needed. Very Happy

RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, sorry I haven't called you back reguarding the drive shafts. I guess you went ahead and got one? That was quick! Did you put it in or did you have a shop do it? Please tell me you didn't pay someone to do it!!! Anyways, give me a call tomorrow.
turbo_jimi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know what...this shop is having a major problem fixing the rear end! They still have the car and have replaced all the bearings and some gear that they broke. Now they are claiming "someone else" has worked on the rear end and I politely assured them that they were the only ones to be back there since the car was built. btw, i factory ordered this car, so I know no one else has worked on it with the exception of servicing the rear diff fluid. They keep saying that there are "marks" made by someone else..who?...gremlins? and that grease has been wiped off...I'm like, what grease? gear lube is what needs to be in there. Can't they just say that they don't know what they're doing or is this going to turn ugly. I have to be nice, since they have my car...and have "mentioned" several other "problems" that weren't there before I left it with them. I just wish they would fix it and I could have it back, but I think in the end, it's not going to run right and it will have cost me a hellava lot of money that I could have used on the 85 Sad Sorry for the rant, but need to get it out of my system.

edit...guess they're done...say that i need a new ring and pinion but i will forget about that as i am now out of money...oh well....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: