Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

high performance stuff?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's for sure going to need a full build to handle that, if you plan on hooking it up. Otherwise you'll have to run street tires, and most of that torque is going up in smoke.

If you just want quick power, then yeah, get a V6 in decent shape, and bottle it. If you actually want to start a foundation for a car to be built up, then start with a V8 and work from there.
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asdfga3 wrote:
True, but there are two problems with that:

1) I don't know how many total miles are on the engine, but 12K+ with no maitinence at all didn't help it. Considering he's already had problems with valve lash, and possibly a bent pushrod, running forced induction on that engine is asking for trouble.

2) $1000 down, and lets say at least a month of hunting down parts and fabbing up a turbo, and you still can just barely hang with the V8 guys. Sure you have a little better gas mileage, and you can say you did it all with a V6, but you're at the usable limits of that engine.

If you're going to spend all the time and trouble to build a turbo system, do it on an SBC, and push 500+ HP at the wheels. Mr. Green

Edit: I'd disagree about the L98's pushing 250HP. With 2K worth of bolt-ons, you should be into the very high 13's easily.

Edit 2: Or you could just run 250 shot in it till it blows up, then drop this in it:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/pts/161938494.html

think about what you just said,with 2 grand worth of boltons,you should be in the high 13s.

they ran low mid 14s stock,with 2 grand you damn well better be in the mid 12s.

and yeah sure,there rated 245 hp,but so what,with age and miles comes wear and with that you lose some horsepower,and like i said earlier,damn near every thirdgen has really high miles,and if it doesnt you WILL pay for it. so being realistic,with your proposed budget of 3500 dollars{which will still buy a decent 3rd gen}

it will probably end up having 125-150 k miles on it,i sure as hell wouldnt start throwing 2 grand worth of parts at a motor with that many miles unless i could reuse them on a new motor down the road{that would also support the new motors planned horsepower levels}

in the end its all up to this guy really to just determine what it is he wants out of a car. i can say right now id love to have a turbo'd 3.4 with a 5spd,built right the power would be awesome,and so would 30 miles pre gallon,when gas is running 3.40 a gallon Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reasons to build a six:
even after you turbo the shizzle out of it, you will have way better gas mialage then a lightly modded (read: headers/catback) 350. you also have the ability to turn the boost way down and get better mialage for daily use.

better weight distrobution. BY FAR. which means better handling.

that being said, i had a 2.8, now i have a 350. i regret nothing. Very Happy
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw that.

Go LSX. Very Happy
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
Screw that.

Go LSX. Very Happy
thats my plan for the 84 Laughing

single RMT LQ9
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I could spend 2K in a heartbeat on one of these cars.

Full exhaust, tires, suspension, ignition, built 700R4 or T-56 swap and you can wave bye-bye to your cash.

I agree that eventually the engine is going to have to come out, it's just a matter of what gets done before then. If you start out with at least some sembalance of a plan, then you can buy said bolt-ons and not waste money down the road.

If I do the full exhaust in an L98, then decide to swap a SBC crate in there, no problems. If I have a 2.8 and run a full exhaust and rear-mount turbo, then decide to swap the same crate engine in, then it becomes a problem.

I do agree with you wholeheartedly about it being what you want from the car. For all we know he just wants a quick bit of fun so he can show off in front of the ricers, and then he'll park it and move on.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
Screw that.

Go LSX. Very Happy

*cough* Turbo
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asdfga3 wrote:

*cough* Turbo

Turbo lsx? Brilliant!!!

Last edited by iansane on Thu May 18, 2006 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asdfga3 wrote:
For all we know he just wants a quick bit of fun so he can show off in front of the other ricers, and then he'll park it and move on.

fixed that for ya. Wink
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks. Thumbs up

Rolling Eyes
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

84transam383 wrote:

Not to be an ass Mark, but there are several of us here that have a little more than $2000 in modifications and I think all are still after that first 12 sec slip. You haven't done it and until you do your just talking out your ass. The one time I seen you at the track I think you were running 17's or something. And I don't mean wheel size either. Laughing
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:
84transam383 wrote:

Not to be an ass Mark, but there are several of us here that have a little more than $2000 in modifications and I think all are still after that first 12 sec slip. You haven't done it and until you do your just talking out your ass. The one time I seen you at the track I think you were running 17's or something. And I don't mean wheel size either. Laughing

nope,ive yet to run a 12,and in your cases,NONE of you are doing it with a L98,which was my point. if you have a bone stock mid low 14 second l98,and you toss 2 grand at it,and your only running high 13s,somethings wrong,which was also my point,maybe i worded wrong or something i dunno.

the one time you saw me at the track,i was there with my 85 LB9 iroc 305,which was having major computer issues,and i ran a 17.7 @70 something with the check engine light OFF and no codes present,and 2 low 15 second runs @90 with check engine light on,and one high 14 second run also with light on,the 85 tpi system was freaking horrible.

right now,my 85 chevy 1 ton is probably the fastest vehicle ive owned,im 100% confident its in the low 13s,STOCK ls1's are easy bait,and the 2 modded ls1's that ive beat,had headers,lid,chipwork,and that was a workout,no slips,but we all know ls1s run 13s

it has been on the dyno,and its by far the most powerful car/truck ive owned,this summer we'll get some slips when i can get up to PIR
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modded ls1's unless there are serious problems can easily pull a mid-high 12. You're saying that your dana 60 equiped full size lifted truck will do similar times?

What all has been done besides...

Quote:
454 with splayed 4 bolt,demon 750 carb,2 inch headers into 3.5 inch true dual exhaust and flowmaster 10 series single chamber flowmasters edelbrock perf rpm intake,1.7 roller rockers tons of other stuff done to it,too much to list motor has 10k miles on it since rebuild.

I don't know much about BB's but that's a stretch.

As my homey-g-phunk buddy Matt once said, "You don't gotta lie to kick it, dawg" Very Happy
Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys.. i was just wondering some sites where i can buy some aftermarket stuff... i need like intake manifolds and throttle bodies and stuff..
Danked
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and my dads got a machine shop, so i can do w/e i want, i made some things that i jammed in the rear springs, made the shocks extremely tighter and lifted it about 3 inches
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danked wrote:
guys.. i was just wondering some sites where i can buy some aftermarket stuff... i need like intake manifolds and throttle bodies and stuff..

Laughing I think your thread has been jacked...
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I came in late on this one.

modded V6's are cool......great gas mileage, good handling, can hang with stock V8's. Allegedly the 60 degree V6's are pretty tough too and can take some serious abuse. (also, I've seen some LB9's, L03's and L98's take some serious shots of Nitros Oxide and keep running like champs) The downfall is there isn't a big market for 60 degree GM V6's. Most of your huge power adders are gonna be more costly and more difficult to find.

I would definately agree that the V8 platform is more open to future modification. The Chevy Small block has more aftermarket and performance parts available than about any other engine ever maufactured. This means minor modifications will be more cost efficent. Which means you can go faster for cheap! (something I think we all can agree is a good thing)

I have to agree about the modification to the V8 cars being hard on stock drivetrain parts. Anyone putting more than 250hp/300ft lbs to the pavement is gonna have a weak link somewhere,

Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
Modded ls1's unless there are serious problems can easily pull a mid-high 12. You're saying that your dana 60 equiped full size lifted truck will do similar times?

What all has been done besides...

Quote:
454 with splayed 4 bolt,demon 750 carb,2 inch headers into 3.5 inch true dual exhaust and flowmaster 10 series single chamber flowmasters edelbrock perf rpm intake,1.7 roller rockers tons of other stuff done to it,too much to list motor has 10k miles on it since rebuild.

I don't know much about BB's but that's a stretch.

As my homey-g-phunk buddy Matt once said, "You don't gotta lie to kick it, dawg" Very Happy

well actually its a dana 60 front,and 14 bolt full float rearend Laughing

anyways,im fully aware what LS1's are capable of{trying to find one right now for a daily driver}

and heres the specs on my 454,sincei havent had the block apart,i can only speculate what the previous owner told me{apart from what i can visually prove out on the outside}

454,receipts and paperwork claim 496{with an ebay purchased shortblock kit} supposed to have eagle forged steel 4.25 stroke crank,hbeam rods and 10.2 to 1 srp forged pistons
edelbrock 60559 heads,and i just put the roller rockers on not to long ago.
edelbrock perf rpm intake,and demon carb, after measuring there 2 1/8th inch headers,with 3.5 collectors,into flowmaster 10 series race mufflers,msd 6al offroad ignition box,msd distributor,and i have a barry grant plate system on it,although it was used in the races.thats pretty much all i know about the motor,the only thing ive done to it since ive owned it,new carb,roller rockers,and i repaired the fire damage{new wiring through the whole truck,and basically everything under the hood accesory wise}

theres a detroit locker in the back,5.13 gears in both axles,and im only running 36" buckshots right now,so off the line its insane,if it was a race from say 70 mph+ id get hosed easily,it still pulls hard as hell,but the aerodynamics of a brick,coupled with having 5.13 gears,a th400 and 36"s its run out of gear really quick.

if someone has either a way to host a REALLLY large video,or a way to make it smaller,ill toss up 2 vids my buddy took with my vid cam when we raced,each one is around a gig though.

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could easily put an L98 at 12.9 with 2K, but I wouldn't advise it:

Full exhaust
>>>FULL<<< weight reduction
HSR
slicks
pray your 700R4 blows up on the second pass, and not the first

And that's how you do it. Wink

83ta383 - I've seen your pics of that truck before, and it's the sh** dude. I'm not big on flames, but I love those old-school lifted Chevy's.

Ian - Good theory, if I was a rich kid. Unfortunatly some of us have to work hard for money. By the time I dropped 6K for an LS1/T56, I'd have no cash left for anything else.

Right now I'm trying to get as much spare cash as I can, then I'm going to start on a low compression SBC buildup. Run it NA while I fab up a junkyard TT setup with some T3 60's or something.

Danked - I guess you weren't listening to all the stuff we said while we hijacked your thread, but if you're dead-set on that V6, try Summit (http://www.summitracing.com/). Also, look at Jeg's, and any of the sites that advertise on TGO like Thunder, Spohn, and TDS.

The problem you're going to find is that since your car is not a popular mod platform, it's going to be hard to find engine-specific stuff like cams, headers, intake manifolds, ect. Generic parts like ignition stuff, and any exhaust below the Y-pipe would be easy though.

Edit: Wait........ *reads more carefully*
You blocked the rear springs on your Camaro to lift it!?!?! Shocked Shocked Shocked
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well in his latest post he mentions wanting new intake,etc etc. as far as i know,there arent any aftermarket intakes made for the 60 degree 2.8,3.1,3.4 family unless you go carbed,edelbrock makes a few for the older s10 trucks.

you can get cams,and computer work done,the rest i beleive is all going to be labor{porting} im unaware of any aftmkt TB'S for the 60*,but you might be able to have a machine shop make some sort of adapter and run whatever you want,big ole 58 mm TPI twin blade would be cool pokin off the end of a 2.8 intake Laughing

even headers,i know they were made back in the day,but i dont think yo ucan buy them new anymore,once again your into custom fabrication of headers

its all fine and dandy to drop your hard earned coin into it,IF you plan on keeping it,otherwise its a waste in my opinion. you could always mod up the v6'er just to make it a bit more "tolerable" and snag up a v8 roller car,and go that route,little bit quicker v6'er for the MPG,and you got your performance car being built Very Happy

and thanks for the comment on the chevy asdfga3,yeah the flames suck Mad i was contemplating having them freehand pinstriped,but i dont know now. right now im focusing on the new lift for it 12"{picked up the 12 inch lift off craigslist for 290 bucks all brand new and all spring!} and 42s Shocked and i bitch about the gas mileage now,cant wait to see it plummet after those mods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: