Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Funny thing (NOT!) happened on Monday

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiggy'sIROC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Funny thing (NOT!) happened on Monday Reply with quote

Monday morning I had to head down to Twin Falls to an ENT doctor about my sinuses. It is about 70 miles of highway. Before I got into the IROC, I checked all fluids and such as I always do, especially since my 5 year old daughter was going with me. The trip down was uneventful, or so I thought. So, I finished my doctor's appointment and headed for home. 30 miles up the highway, my SES light comes on. It didn't phase me at first since it usually comes on due to the EGR anyway (code 32), but this time was different. After about a minute, I saw the oil pressure gage decline to 0, the sphincter factor rose to maximum as I pulled off to the shoulder. Luckily, I had stuck two quarts of oil in the rear storage box. So, I lost 5 quarts of oil out of the rear of the engine in 100 miles. I will get pics tonight of the back of the car (nasty!) and my driveway where I parked it. I guess I had better get that 350 block of mine to the machine shop so I can replace the motor huh?

Mark

WIGGY'S IROC HOMEPAGE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you see at all where the oil is coming out of? losing oil pressure suxors (just ask Schultzy) it could be that you blew a gasket back there there are also a couple of problematic places with gauge senders back there too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that is a bad luck stretch of highway...i remember gitting sruck along their whar my ac bracket broke. at least you were able to make it home safe. loss of oil pressure seams to be a comon problem with the crew reseantly(knocking on wood). so here it to an uneventful dyno gathering.

"He looks like Donky Kong from Mario Kart."
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you just blew out your oil pressure sending unit? Leak the oil and no pressure?!

heh that sucks. 350 is better anyway.
wiggy'sIROC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there was smoke coming from behind the engine, but I couldn't tell if it was the rear main seal, oil pressure sender, or one of the oil galley plugs. I do know that the underside (along with the back) of the car is an oil slick. I am going to see if I can borrow my buddies cherry picker and get that thing out.

Bart, come to think of it, I was only a few miles away from where your car broke. Weird huh? I'll try to post pics tonight.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kind of creepy i think i might try to avoid that strech of road from now on
sllt1776

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear that. same thing happened to me about 10 years ago on a cutlass i had. i recently had all the gaskets replaced on the engine. i went on a trip about 1.5 hours. on the way home the car seemed fine. sputtered a bit. nothing on the guages. no oil light and the oil pressure guage was fine. then it started to slow down so i pulled over. no oil! i had to call a friend to bring me oil but it was too late. after a refill it was blowing blue smoke. fried rings. i had to trade it in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: