Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats the best setup for exhaust for my 5.7 TPI
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakemk8706

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Whats the best setup for exhaust for my 5.7 TPI Reply with quote

i have a 91 5.7 TPI and looking to get some headers and a cat back, also two high flow cats. for the headers i was thinking the edelbrock ti-techs cause those come with a Y pipe and they are reletively cheap. for the cats i have some high flows by vibrant. for the cat back system i was thinking the american thunder 3in by flowmaster. i was just wondering if any one had any suggestions for me and what worked well for your cars.

[/img]

Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake, First off, welcome, its nice to see another Portlander! You might want to head over to the general forum, and introduce yourself!

I am not a fan of the edelbrock headers. I would look at the hooker 2055's, or Hedman. The cat back, is sort of a personal prefrence. I think hooker would be another good choice for that.

This always turns into a bit of argument, as diffrent people like diffrent sounds. But that is my opinion.

"Ever see a Motorcycle in front of a Psychiatrists Office?" Me neither
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jakemk8706

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i will keep that in mind but the thing with the edelbrocks is that they have the wholes for the A.I.R system and also come with a y.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at it this way, man: Yesterday I needed to do three things to the IROC: Change the header gaskets, change the spark plugs, and change the O2 sensor. I started working at 9:30am, and finished up around 3:00pm!

That includes time spent wrestling with a spark plug socket while holding the headers up in the air, using a 3/4" wrench to turn a spark plug socket because the headers where dirrectly over some plugs, and heating an 11mm wrench with a blowtorch so I could bend it flat enough to get the back passenger side header bolt. Bashy Bashy

It took me about eight minutes to swap out the O2 sensor, and that includes jacking and lowering the car. Don't buy the Edelbrock headers. Trust me.

As for the catback, I'm thinking about a Dynomax system, but I'm wondering if it would be loud enough.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakemk8706 wrote:
ok i will keep that in mind but the thing with the edelbrocks is that they have the wholes for the A.I.R system and also come with a y.

True, however unless you are a hippie, or you live in or are moving to California, you should cut the AIR system out of your car entirely. And if you're really worried about the enviroment, you really shouldn't be driving a 15 year-old muscle car getting 20mpg anyhow. Laughing
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've been curious about this as well, thanks for all the great information. Cascade Crewbies to the rescue again! thanks guys!

~JAKE (the other one) Razz

jakemk8706

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well what is the benefits of taking out the AIR system, and how would i go about doing that. cause i dont want to randomly start taking things out that i dont know what they are. cause right now my car is clean as hell, my engine is running perfectly, but its just not fast enough you know what i mean.
Gibby85

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the G92 option, eh? That's the dual-cat RPO.

And for the Dynomax, I have that setup and it's plenty loud. It's not as deep as the Flowmasters, but it's very significant. I personally prefer my Dynomax sound over Flows.

www.cardomain.com/id/gibbys85
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakemk8706 wrote:
well what is the benefits of taking out the AIR system, and how would i go about doing that. cause i dont want to randomly start taking things out that i dont know what they are. cause right now my car is clean as hell, my engine is running perfectly, but its just not fast enough you know what i mean.

Basically the AIR system pumps fresh air into the exhaust manifolds and the cat. This saps power from the engine (parasitic drain), and adds weight to the front end (which is very bad for a car like this).

I haven't done the delete on an F-body, but I have done it on other Chevy's. Basically the system comes in a few parts:

-Pump/belt/bracket (easily removed)

-Tubes to Manifolds (remove the upper sections with the pump, the lower tubes going to each cylinder should be replaced when you get headers. You can cap off the tubes before they split with any cheap metal cap from a hardware store (check the plumbing section)

-Tube to cat (these can be very tough. The previous owner who did the AIR delete on my current car left the pipes hanging behind the block. I removed one of them when I removed the AC box, but the other one was trapped under the main wiring harness. If the pipe is disconnected at the cat, it can be left under the hood, as long as it's not going to get caught in anything)

-Cat (up to you if you want to keep it. Not sure how tough your emissions testing is)

Do you guys in Oregon have visual testing? If so, make 100% sure to do a clean job, or don't do it at all. If they see hanging tubes in the engine bay during visual, you'll fail for a tampered.

This post has gone on long enough. I'll be quiet now. Razz
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in washington county the visual is a mirror under the car to inspect cat. they do NOT open your hood at all. in such a case as this i would leave the air tube to the cat and cut it off closer to the engine bay. thats how mine was befor the lst emissions test.

also jake, if you remove your smog pump (air injection pump) you will need to swap to a different size serpantine belt. the stock one will no longer work.

doing this should have ZERO effect on how the engine runs, it will change what comes out of your tailpipes but not significantly enough to fail you on emmissions test day. you may/should see a small power gain as you will weigh less, and your engine will no longer be turning the AIR pump. this and an AC delete and you are running alot less restriction.

i would recomend SLP headers (cause thats what i roll with Very Happy ). i have them and do not have too much trouble getting to my plugs. there are two plugs i hafto use a sawed-off socket on due to clearence, and one that i use an open end wrench on. the other 5 i can get at with a regular plug socket and wratchet, or plug socket and open end wrench. the SLPs do come with AIR tubes as an option, or w/o air tubes. i have them with AIR tubes, despite my lack of an AIR system.

my engine mods are the AIR and AC delete, headers and catback, and i just ran a 14.3 @ 95. you will see big butt-dyno gains from headers and AC AIR deletes. have fun
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the heck does Oregon have a county named Washington? Neutral

Anyway.... if you're going to spend the money for a catback, you may well want to invest in either a high-flow cat, or a solid pipe (depending on testing conditions and morals Razz). Both of those would eliminate the AIR tube connection under the car.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake,

The hooker 2055's do include air-tubes and a Y-pipe, just like the eldebrock. I would really look into them. You should be able to price them thru Baxtors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asdfga3 wrote:

...Unless you are a hippie, or you live in or are moving to California, you should cut the AIR system out of your car entirely. And if you're really worried about the enviroment, you really shouldn't be driving a 15 year-old muscle car getting 20mpg anyhow. Laughing

EFFIN RIGHT!!!

I'm probalby gonna be hating filling up at $3.25/gal once or more a week....

I'm estimating with a good reman Q-jet and HEI...I'm staring down the barrel of 13mpg city and 15mpg highway.

Shrug

Mine's not even muscle.....I'll bet I'll only throw down about 140ish horsepower and 190ish torque.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well portland sucks cause i have to go through deq and right now the car has no cats. it has a good sound but failed the test misserbly (looked good doin tho and went down like a champ). but i already ordered the high flows and will have them installed. my plan is to pass the emissions test, then buy exaust system stuff and possibly go no cats and see about some how fanagle my way into special plates thru DMV by saying its a rec. vehicle. but thats just what i have heard thru the grape vine and im not 100% sure if it will work.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have a relative outside Clackamas, Washington or Multnomah county that you could register the car at that address......its pretty simple really. Just go online to www.odot/dmv.gov (I think that's the link, you can google Oregon DMV if that's not it) and go to the "address change" section. You just add that address as a second address but retain your portland as your mailing address, and they'll send you a sticker in the mail for your licence..Then all I"d do after that is when your renewal comes up, go to a DMV in the county that said relatives live in and re-register it there...your licence itself acts as proof of your new address.

I did this with my 84 and 85 camaros.

Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he actualy lives in portland. the "silverton/salem" under his name is just in case "the man" starts poking around. the man is everywhere Shocked ....

john, we need to get you a deweylicius fur coat and a fadora with a large quail feather in it... because you are pimping those 2055s like the hookers they are. Wink (the first version of this was worse)
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned other ones. Heck, I would go with anything but Edelbrock.

heh, I see we are getting the use of deweylicous up. The young lady that coined that phrase, will be rather thrilled to know it is catching on.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a woman said that to you? i just know it because you made it your MSN messensger handle.. Rolling Eyes

yeah from what i have heard i would stay away from the edlebrocks too. pull headers to change plugs... Shocked .. no thanks
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:
a woman said that to you?

You met the one who said it.
jakemk8706

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so it seems that the general consensus is no edelbrocks, and go with hookers. cool i will definantly check into that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: