Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what do you think it could be

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: what do you think it could be Reply with quote

At work today I got a chevy 1500 with a 5.3 vortech that smokes really bad at start-up. I was thinking that it could be the valve seals. When i pulled the plugs their was a lot of oil on them. The owner also claimes that they burn off a quart of oil every 200-300 miles.

So What Do You Masters Of The Over The Internet Diagnosis Think?
PonchoTA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right. Valve seals. They are probably GONE! Of course, the guides are bad too. Either way, it's going to need the heads reworked.

Of course, knowing the age of the truck/engine and how much heavy use it has done would help with diagnosis too!

With older engines and ones that have done a lot of towing, you could expect that the rings would be contributing as well (longer term 200-300 mile oil consumption)

Good call Bart!
(you ARE going to let us know if we pick the right thing, right?!!!) Laughing
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my god, if its a quart of oil EVERY 200 or 300 miles,its either the rings,or an oil leak somewhere,i seriously doubt valve stem seals alone would cause that much oil loss or consumption.

since hes reffering to the 5.3 vortec it cant be older then what? 98 or 99?

customers have a habit of over exagerating stuff like that though...

at my shop i get it all the damn time,its agravating,or they have done something thats related to the problem there having,yet they will not admit it or hint to it { i hate that the most}... case in point..

weds i beleive it was a 87 dodge 600 k car with the 2.2 alum head was dropped off at my shop needing work... i ask the customer what was wrong with it,her response was the following... " i dunno!! it just died on the freeway and wouldnt restart" i got in in the car and tried to start it,no dice,wouldnt even TRY to fire,i get out,examine connections{efi,dist,coil} and notice theres a small puddle of coolant on the ground,i was like wtf?! further examination revealed that the cooling system was being pressurized during engine cranking,obviously a blown head gasket/cracked head or block... i mention this too her,when she FINALLY reveals that her super duper father whos a mechanic noticed a water leak,ans was going to fix it....she aparently noticed the temp gauge on this car,which reads to 280* was pegged,she said she thought it was the oil pressure gauge Mad Mad Mad her father told her it would be fine Rolling Eyes then i had to inform them because of basically there ignorance,the head had warped AND cracked in several spots,and i dunno wtf was up with the oil,it smelled HORRIBLE,like it had been boiled and coked and was about 10 years old.

eh,anyways sorry about the rant,ive just been dealing with this kind of BS all week Evil or Very Mad

but back to topic,bart id seem to think the rings are shot,maybe they ran it low on oil and cooked the rings? if you find something out though lemme know,im kinda curious what the problem actually is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People actually fix K-cars. Shocked
PonchoTA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing <--- Rodney!!

I was thinking valve seals/guides because Bart mentioned that it smoked at startup.

I've only seen problems with rings displayed by big clouds of blue smoke under acceleration. The startup oil would be the oil that puddled on top of the valve(s) after shutdown, by leaking past the seals and guides. Typically called the Chevy salute, this seems pretty standard on abused Chevy engines. I would seriously question the owner's care standards.
If the car is started and run enough each day, you could go through some serious oil too!

2 more pennies for the pot...
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a net search bart you'll find a million compliants on the new LS style chevy motors and oil consumption. Most of them have to do with piston/ring problems. Seems the early versions had alot of piston slap. This scarred the cylinders up bad ruining the rings. I dont think chevy really got it taken care of till 2001-2 models. Theres quite a bit of pressure for a recall too. If you pull the magnetic oil drain plug out and theres alot of iron filings, i'm told this is material from the cylinder walls.
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:
People actually fix K-cars. Shocked
Laughing nah rodney,they didnt want to have it repaired,they towed it down the street and sent it to the junkyard Very Happy i was MUCH happy!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right B. When I did an oil change there was a little bit of metal shavings on the plug. I did not think that it was excessive but I don’t know how long ago the oil change was.

So you guys know the truck is a late 90's like 98 or 99 I cant remember exactly. The truck is sitting all weekend and I’m going to fire it up on Monday to see how smoky it really is. After I gave it a tune up on Friday (plugs, fuel filter, PCV, and oil change) I let in run in one of my stalls until it got warm and then some then parked it out side for the weekend. I’m going to start it up this Monday then see what they'll let me do. What do you think the nest step should be pull the head and get the valve seals done or would bad rings show up on a compression test on it?

-Bart
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
If you do a net search bart you'll find a million compliants on the new LS style chevy motors and oil consumption. Most of them have to do with piston/ring problems. Seems the early versions had alot of piston slap. This scarred the cylinders up bad ruining the rings. I dont think chevy really got it taken care of till 2001-2 models. Theres quite a bit of pressure for a recall too. If you pull the magnetic oil drain plug out and theres alot of iron filings, i'm told this is material from the cylinder walls.
even the 01/02 ls1's have problems with oil consumption but its more related to the pcv than anything, with the exception of course of the ones lucky enough to get the ls6 modified block and the re-worked pcv system (though the differences between the ls1 and ls6 intake aside from the pcv are still unknown to me, probably isn't anything but that but i've never bothered asking or looking into it) ...

though the swap isn't exactly hard to do, the average ls1 user either doesn't know about it, can't work on it themselves, or aren't willing to pay a dealership or other mechanic to fix it for them.

However if there is a recall on it, GM has a lot of work to do with that one...

I've never heard the piston slap thing so maybe its just the truck engines (since you said iron and all)

yeah that pretty much had nothing to do with what this thread was about but ehh, ohwell, i felt like typing
Roshambo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demon wrote:

I've never heard the piston slap thing so maybe its just the truck engines (since you said iron and all)

Even the Vettes and F-bodies have the piston slap problem and since the LS1 was introduced it has been mentioned in alot of magazines, etc...

I am going to bet the owner of that truck hasnt treated the motor too well in the past if it really is using that much oil.

-Joe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demon wrote:

The Cylnder Walls even in Aluminum blocks are iron based. I don't know of any kind of engine that uses anything else.

What is on the out side of an engine does not mean that is what is on the inside.
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roshambo wrote:
Demon wrote:

Even the Vettes and F-bodies have the piston slap problem and since the LS1 was introduced it has been mentioned in alot of magazines, etc...

I am going to bet the owner of that truck hasnt treated the motor too well in the past if it really is using that much oil.

-Joe
didn't know that... I don't read many car magazines though
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the TSB's yet Bart? I'd definately do that and see what chevy's latest take is on it. From threads i've seen, some people are actually being told 1 qt per 500 miles is normal! Shocked In fact chevy has changed their definition of "normal" several times. And I think now its not even listed in miles but in pounds of fuel burned. Which of course makes it much harder for the consumer to figure out if his vehicle is normal or not. Probably the point to it actually.

Edit: Just did a search on my favorite reference site(TC) and found a whole website devoted to this problem. http://www.pistonslap.com/
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks B for the help tell you guys what i come up with tonight

So I got valve seals oked and well see if that fixes it
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve seals did it.

the intake side one were very bad and the exhaust was bad as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: