Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good combo/Q's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roshambo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM's and IM's guys... let's keep the post back on track.

-Joe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Twilightoptics wrote:
There may be nothing wrong with summit cranks.. infact i bet they are another brand rebadged summit. But atleast for me somethings very important like a crankshaft i want from a tried and true name.

84transam383 wrote:
FYI,alsmot everything summit sells under the "summit" name,is all name brand stuff...the "summit" cranks are eagle cranks

Rolling Eyes and anyway, just how do you think you can prove that they are eagle?
i cant factually prove they are,as ive never bought one,but calling the summit tech line {since i considered buying one} he said theres 3 major manufacturers of cranks scat,cat,and eagle..he also said its not the first 2 who supply them. he's ALSO the one who advised i check elsewhere online for them....also,the place i bought my stuff from,said its exactly the same stuff summit sells,look on ebay,they all say that,granted it doesnt mean its true..but id be willing to bet it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not doubting there are cheaper ways around it... however, I'm all for peace of mind, and I tend to lean towards the Strange side of life when it comes to rearends because I've seen what they can hold up to and how much better they are, you get what you pay for in the end, and though I'm not doubting a used and rebuilt 12 bolt is great and all... you leave yourself open to other options with something different... plus, the strength and warrant also tends to help... again, peace of mind Wink

you'd be surprised at how many different companies summit uses for parts... like I said it all depends on the company at the time... I know quite a few folks who've gotten better pistons and rods just due to the time they ordered them. Summit doesn't stock up on things, they just buy whats cheapest from the manufacturers at the time, so it is various, its not one brand specificly at any given time, regardless of what most phone techs will tell you.

as for ebay...
it all really depends
yeah, its cheaper, but nothing is guaranteed and you'd be surprised at how many people have been hit with fraud suits when dealing with engine parts.

but again, peace of mind.
thats what it really comes down to isn't it.
who you're going to trust.

a kid with a budget and doing something for his first time...
is he going to trust someone on ebay who may screw him?
I doubt it. If that happens, he's out a bundle of cash and the parts to boot.

or is he going to go with a reputable company who will pretty much guarantee a delivery (ok so schultzy got mucked around with a bit with his, but in the end most of it was correct, and 98% of the items were still there)...

guess thats all it really comes down to...

ebay is great and all, but for someone who wants that peace of mind, its not worth the risk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Roshambo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you hippies need to lay off the quote EVERYTHING crack pipe for once. Makes it so much easier to read when you don't have to scroll half a page to get to the new content. Idea

-Joe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get screwed anywhere , it doesnt matter where the parts are purchased from.

btw,as long as yo uresearch things first on ebay,and check user historyand feedback,your chances of getting screwed are slim to none.

the person whom i purchased my stuff from has a rating of 5k plus,with a 99% rating,the odds of him screwing over one person is almost zero.

*yawns*
Project_1986_TA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the best and cheapest way to build a 383? The 350ci w/ 400 crank or what?
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roshambo wrote:
Man, you hippies need to lay off the quote EVERYTHING crack pipe for once. Makes it so much easier to read when you don't have to scroll half a page to get to the new content. Idea

-Joe

Thumbs up
For you, no problem.
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project_1986_TA wrote:
What is the best and cheapest way to build a 383? The 350ci w/ 400 crank or what?
thats a 2 way street,doing it the "best" certainly wont be the cheapest,yet doing it the cheapest certainly wont be the best.

on ebay you can find a cast eagle steel crank for around 190,SIR rods are around 200 bucks,and pistons are usually found around 100-200 depending on what you want,youll also have to have the block clearanced

finding a 400 crank is becoming hard to do,then factoring in the cost of having the mains machined down to the 350 main size,its makes more sense to buy a eagle or scat,there brand new,and ten times better then stock.
J96Z

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="84transam383"]Rolling Eyes

far more cheaper alternatives then buying a 2500 dollar rearend...

buying a used 12 bolt,and putting new gears/posi/axles and rewelding the 3rd gen mounts and spring perches is ALOT cheaper,and just the same{asuming you know how to weld} < this is what ill be doing whenver the 10 bolt i bought goes boom.

quote]
what about the torque arm? There arent any factory 12 bolt rearends with a torque arm provision. The torque arm provision is cast into the pumpkin on the strange and moser rearends just like the factory 10 bolt.
84transam383
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="J96Z"]
84transam383 wrote:
Rolling Eyes

far more cheaper alternatives then buying a 2500 dollar rearend...

buying a used 12 bolt,and putting new gears/posi/axles and rewelding the 3rd gen mounts and spring perches is ALOT cheaper,and just the same{asuming you know how to weld} < this is what ill be doing whenver the 10 bolt i bought goes boom.

quote]
what about the torque arm? There arent any factory 12 bolt rearends with a torque arm provision. The torque arm provision is cast into the pumpkin on the strange and moser rearends just like the factory 10 bolt.
any competent welder/fabricator can make a tq arm provision. depending on how long this "built" rearend i bought {richmond 4.10s,atfmkt axles,and a locker} holds up,i'll be fabbing up a 12 bolt for my car,ill cross that bridge when i get there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: