Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I remember now why I disliked holley

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: I remember now why I disliked holley Reply with quote

After first smoking out the shop at the dyno, then running lean on the next 3 runs, I promptly removed the holley and put the edlebrock back on Monday night. It's now sunday and i've finally taken the time to disassemble the holley to see what happened.

One of my pet peeves with holley(besides leaking) has always been ruptured power valves. This new holley had the power valve protection ball in the base plate however. So I figured I was good to go. NOT! Pulled the primary metering plate off and I find the power valve vacuum chamber full of fuel. Not supposed to happen. So there's why I was rich till 1700 rpm. The thing was sucking fuel right through the valve, when the built up fuel was gone it would clear up. Also explains my lean condition. With a hole in the diaphram it couldnt build enough vacuum to open the valve and enrich the primaries. I have a feeling that the power valve protection ball might be stuck too. Havent disassembled the carb that far though.

Havent decided yet whether to try the holley again or not. The holley had much much better throttle response, and the secondaries supplied a nice tire slippin sideways moving kick. But the edlebrock simply runs good at all times and is basically indestructable. Plus I never could get the electric choke to work right on the holley(though that could be something to do with the powervalve as well). The choke on the edlebrock works perfect, just start her and drive off. As easy as it is to switch between the 2... maybe a summer and a winter carb?? Laughing
z28redline

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a carter 625cfm on my 305 and it's a beautiful thing. Turn the key after two months and it starts right up, no leaks. But I've thought about going to a 750cfm Holley or Barry Grant Road Demon when I put the 400 in cause the carter just isn't going to cut it. Was your Holley easy to tune?

z28redline
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody always says how simple holleys are to tune. But I really think the afb/edlebrock is easier. Even find the q-jet easier. The thing with a holley is that EVERYTHING is adjustable. Almost too many things to play with.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, all the effort you put into the carb swap, just to pull it back off Sad

btw, how was your trip to 'the couve'?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually went to LaCenter. Horse must be too fat burned over half tank gettin there and less than a quarter coming back! Very Happy Anyway, truck pulled like gangbusters with the edlebrock.

Funny, when I first switched to the holley I told everybody there were 2 things I hated about em. #1 leaks, and #2 powervalves. Well I thought it wouldnt leak because I put the dual inlet center hung float bowls on it. No more crossover tube, which is what I always had a problem with before. But, when I first put it on, what did it do? Leak at the dual inlet line where it goes into the carb. Took a new inlet fitting to fix that. Then I figured the powervalve protector would save me from problem #2. Guess not there either. Confused Guess I've come to the decision tonight that I'm leaving the edlebrock on there. Tuned it a bit different and I can feel the secondaries kick in and give me a little sideways kick, not quite like the holley but I may keep playin with it.

If anybody wants/needs a holley, I just finished fixing this one back up. It's been tanked and kitted. Has center hung float bowls, been converted to have a rear metering block instead of plate, has electric choke, quick change secondary spring kit(with springs), its the newer style 1850 with the powervalve protector( Rolling Eyes ), its dual feed inlet and comes with the chrome inlet line. All parts are genuine Holley. Current jetting is 66's in front and 71s in the rear. Current powervalve is a 7.5.

I'll let it go for whats I've got into it for parts. $150... A little much for a 600 maybe but almost all the parts will work on an ebay/junkyard 750 too.
Roshambo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didnt you just burn some chips and fix the rich/lean problem Brandon? Very Happy

Sucks the thing had to crap out on you before the dyno.. what is it with that? Confused

-Joe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bad about the Holley.

I was just wondering what do you think is easier to tune a broken Holley or a TBI car?
z28redline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 4160 right? Does changing it to a 750cfm just involve changing the main body over or is there more to it then that?

z28redline
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just luck Joe, normal everyday luck.

To change it into a 750 you'd need a main body and a base plate. Base plates have different size bores.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: