Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You know, I never started a project thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jess
Administrator

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
I wish I could display pictures here. Getting pretty dry just typing messages.

If you're not opposed to creating a Yahoo account, Flickr gives you 1TB of storage and allows embedding in other external sites/forums etc... Can even have the photos marked private and share/embed them with a 'guest pass' link so they are visible on the forum but not to the general Flickr user base.

Wish I could help you on the technical question, but thats over my head...
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qwk,

That does seem a bit odd to me. but maybe not totally out in left field. Although .020+ is a bit of variance. I would imagine the difference is probably in the deck more then the crank centerline. Could always find that out though.

I have always measured the deck zero'd the dial and then took a reading on the level portion of the piston at tdc. There is always portions that are a bit under or over on the piston. I try to make sure I measure the exact same spot on all.

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks. That gives me confidence I did it right. Taking a measurement is simple. It's knowing how/what to measure that is key!

I talked with Mamo and the numbers didn't seem to bother him one bit. In fact, he agreed with my idea to run two different gasket thickness. Unfortunately, Cometic does not make the thickness we wanted for the short side (0.038) so we went with 0.040 gasket on both sides. It's not much of a difference either way but would have been nice if they had the thinner gasket available.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LS7 is done. Just need to decide when to drop it in the car. This will be a 600 WHP thumper with reasonable street manners.

* LS7 stock short block (4.125 bore, 4" stroke). Forged crank, lightweight titanium rods, lightweight cast aluminum pistons).

* Tony Mamo 265 heads (ported Trick Flow 260 LS7 heads) that flow 415 cfm. Yes, that's right.... 415 cfm from a 265 cc runner. Freakin' fantastic.

* Tony Mamo ported MSD LS7 intake. Nasty billet fuel rails to keep my current tall Bosch 650 EV14 injectors.

* Johnson low-travel link-bar lifters, Manton pushrods, Mamo Yella Terra 1.85 rockers.

* Comp Cams LSG lobe, 240/254 , 114+3 , 0.658 / 0.659

* Wet sump conversion. IWIS timing chain, Scoggin Dickey crankshaft spacer, Melling high pressure pump; Holley 302-1 oil pan (6 Qt); Improved Racing crank scraper, windage tray, trap door baffles.

* ATI damper, 10% under drive, fitted with 66 durometer rubbers.

The rest pretty much gets transferred over from my car.
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on man, now this is exciting!

Can't wait to see numbers!

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord man.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the car running a few weeks ago but I've been chasing down bad noises with various causes. Right now the passenger side cylinder head is removed and I'm waiting for new lifters to show up. Hopefully that will be the last of the noises.

This engine seems legit though. I've only touched the throttle once at part throttle and extremely mild timing (just 20 degrees) and it felt like it destroyed my old engine. The car was all over the road and so freakin' fast.

I thought my exhaust was loud before but now the car is stupid loud. And I do mean LOUD. Must be the higher compression or something. The noise is at "you're a problem" level now. I'll have to think about a catalytic converter or something to hush it some.

I hate the rebuilt clutch. It's awful. It's very grabby with almost no street friendly slip zone. I drove that clutch for 3 years and it was a bit tricky but now it's downright awful. I keep killing the engine or smoking the clutch. It's ridiculous and it makes it look like I have the skill of a 5 year old.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't tuned the engine yet other than drivability, which is pretty decent now. There's no point because the car is choking the engine from all sides: fuel, intake, & exhaust.

I've had a Boost-A-Pump on order for ages and still hasn't arrived. Hint: Don't ever buy anything from TPS Motorsports. That's all I will say about that.

The 4" intake is choking the engine. Getting a 3 kPA drop in MAP, maybe more, as the engine revs through its range. Not sure what the engine wants but I guess I'll step up to a 5" intake tube and see what happens. I'd like a real gentle transition to the 4" throttle body but I'm not seeing anything like that for sale. Anybody got ideas for that?

I'm considering going to a dual 3" exhaust. But first I am going to fix the intake and fuel issues and get a baseline dyno run to see how much power the existing 3.5" single exhaust is robbing. I'm not rushing to replace my existing exhaust unless I'm going to get a lot of gains.

I also raised the ride height of the suspension and lo and behold I suddenly have a lot more traction. I haven't even bothered airing down the new tires yet because they're working good! Must have been on the bump stops waaaaaaay more than I had thought. Still haven't tried to launch from a stop yet though.... That will be the real test. But if I'm hooking better on the roll, then it stands to reason I'll hook better off the line too. Heck, maybe I'll even go faster than a 2.0 second 60' time. LOL!
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got fuel.
I've got air.
I've got a tune.

Rolled the dyno with tires spinning above 4K rpm and came within 4 HP of setting the naturally aspirated record. I go back to the dyno in a week for another try with tire compound.

The car is so...... right. I nailed it this time. Yup yup
Jess
Administrator

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty sweet, bet the car is a total kick in the pants to drive! Think just eliminating the tire slippage will be enough to break the record?
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. What was the actual number?!?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tire compound didn't arrive by the day I was supposed to retry on the dyno. I doubt I'll be getting on dyno before the car is put away for winter. I guess it's just going to remain a mystery.

The tires spun between 4000 - 7000 rpm. The whole meat of my torque and power curve is basically undocumented as the tire grip pretty much flatlined at about 420 lb-ft torque. It just so happens that 420 lb-ft at 7000 rpm is about 571 RWHP, so that's the number that was shown on the screen. Obviously peak HP is something different at a lower rpm. And who knows whether it's actually more or less, because it's kind of hard to understand how the dyno Horsepower algorithm is skewed by tire spin.

The n/a record on this Mustang dyno is 575 RWHP, and that same car turned something like 610 RWHP on a DynoJet.

Oh well, it's just a number. I'm really curious what is the 1/4 mile trap speed. The car hauls ass from a roll. And you wouldn't believe how good it drives.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video. It's going 150 mph at the top of 4th gear.

Even though the car sounds healthy, it's still a bit of a surprise when you hear it go all out. Thumbs up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSxVGqnxJcc
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last post just for old time sake.

Last year I ditched the drag radials and put proper tires on the car with a set of Falken RT660. This..... this is the final ingredient that was missing. Car is so dynamic now. It was built to corner and this feels so right. This car will never see another set of drag radials again.

It's my old car. Had it for 30 years now. Sometimes have thoughts of selling because I'm kind of tired of the work that comes with maintaining an old car. But I think I'd be bored with out it. Either way I'll keep playing with it as long as I have it. I am NOT running out of ideas!
Jess
Administrator

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one sweet car. There a good road course around there to get it on? That's my dream, someday when the formula has a little more go under the hood - do a lapping day on a road course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58
Page 58 of 58

Jump to: