Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Suspension Upgrade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jess
Administrator

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: First Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

Well, the upgrades have begun - this one born of necessity. First week of February (right before the snow hit) I pulled the bird up on the ramps for an oil change, figuring the oil had to be close to two years old based on conversations with the previous owner during the purchase. Looking under the car while changing the oil I notice the bushings for the sway bar end links are all basically gone - which explains the occasion clunk I heard during cornering.

So a new set of Energy suspension Polyurethane end links now reside under the car. Of course I ended up doing the whole thing the hard way after sheering off the bolts and having to hack saw the other half of each end link. And then the Energy Suspension sleeves were longer than stock, so off to Auto Zone for a pair of cheap Value Craft end links (less than $9 for the pair with tax). Took the 2 1/4" stock length sleeves out and binned the rest of the cheap hardware. Will be cutting down the Energy Suspension sleeves for the rear set most likely.

She handles like a dream and no more clunk when hard corning. The wife and I took the Formula up the scenic twisty route (Chuckanut drive for those familiar with northern Washington) on our afternoon out over the weekend - perpetual smile running the Formula through a twisty road for sure!
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Good bushings make all the difference. Given the age of our cars, if I was buying one today, I would go through and replace all that stuff just so the suspension can do its job. The a-arm bushings especially.

Its cool to see you back with a bird, and enjoying it. And actually working on it. Mine hasn't moved in probably 5 years at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jess
Administrator

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, something big break and just haven't gotten to it? Its been great having the Bird again, even the kids really like the car (our 6 and 4 year olds both want a Firebird of their own). Have a lot of plans for performance goodies, but after getting the rear energy suspension set installed those will be on hold for a bit till the budget frees up or birthday/Christmas rolls around again. Right now its figuring out the hatch motor (runs and doesn't move - and won't latch/lock - hopefully just the screw nut is stripped).
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jess wrote:
Dang, something big break and just haven't gotten to it?

It needs a new pinion bearing and some clutch work.

But, started gathering a ton of parts for the next phase, and it needs a bunch of paint work now as well.

Then I got into the bikes too much , and just haven't done anything with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jess
Administrator

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those going to be garage repairs or let a shop do those? Don't sound fun...

Well, I got the rear Energy Suspension set installed tonight. I had cut down the spare sleeves to match the 2 1/4 fronts and low and behold, the rears are longer than the fronts, but shorter than the Energy Suspension sleeves - thankfully I was able to re-use the stock sleeves.

Crawling under cars is definitely not my favorite thing in the world, especially when you add bruised ribs to the equation...
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jess wrote:
Those going to be garage repairs or let a shop do those? Don't sound fun...

Well, I got the rear Energy Suspension set installed tonight. I had cut down the spare sleeves to match the 2 1/4 fronts and low and behold, the rears are longer than the fronts, but shorter than the Energy Suspension sleeves - thankfully I was able to re-use the stock sleeves.

Crawling under cars is definitely not my favorite thing in the world, especially when you add bruised ribs to the equation...

I'll do tall the mechanical work, probably have a shop do most of the body/paint work. It's a long ways off, based on some stuff in the works with the motorcycles, it will probably be another 5 years before anything gets done to my car.
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycle, motorcycle, motorcycle. This is a THIRDGEN forum dude!

Thread Jacked Give Me Beer

-Schultz

P.S. This is nostalgic... feels like playing retro games LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: