Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Progress.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully this will work.

A little go pro action.
https://www.facebook.com/zachary.cain.777/posts/1505045139534017?comment_id=1505832316121966&notif_t=feed_comment&notif_id=1503361118549552

Funny how the camera doesn't pick up the purge or see out real well. I need to adjust it I think.

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does work. That thing actually launches pretty darn straight, makes it look like a 9sec pass is no big deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea it has always been very predictable. That was 1.45 in the 60

I watch the go pro and think the same thing. Until your riding in it lol

9.17 @ 148
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks so casual! Sign of a good build I say. No burn out even?
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man!

There was a burnout in the beginning of the vid albeit not a very long one, it could of used a touch more heat in the tires.

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we have burned up the transmission. It didn't scatter itself and it made it back into the trailer and back into the garage so I call that a win.

We have secret squirrel parts coming this next week. Let's just say we won't be having trans issues anymore lol

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transmission specialties inc. 5000 series powerglide is on the way.

1.80 straight cut gears, billet input and output shafts, Sfi case, roller tailshaft, basically the best of everything. They rate it for 2000+ hp.

The converter is on its way back to Lenny @ ultimate for a restall and cleaning for the new combo.

Precision Performance shifters is supplying a new shifter assy. It is a bad@ss piece. Weighs less then 10 lbs

The glide should shave between 40-50 pounds out of the car also from what tsi is saying.

Plus no more blankets and stuff.

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the TSI glide is installed in the car. It is back down on the ground, runs and shifts. Time to load it up and see how it goes Sunday.

Lenny at Ultimate converters restalled the converter and gave it a cleaning from the last bit of mayhem.

Scaled the car last night and moving to a glide has shedded almost exactly 50 pounds out of the car. It is now 2945 without driver. What is interesting is that the rear is a bit uneven, by about 140 pounds or so. If it was the right side I wouldn't care but it is the drivers side without me in it. I am thinking a drag race anti roll bar is finally in order to even that out.

Headed over to Bremerton on sunday for a battle of the brands race. Never done that race so it will be interesting. Hope the car is all ok lol

Had to lengthen the driveshaft, they had to retube the center and rebalance. Along with a fresh set of 1350 spicers.

Going to take me a little bit to get used to the action of the new shifter and getting proficient with it. There is only so much sitting in the car making motor sounds that you can do before having to do the real thing lol

9.17 @ 148
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't miss that single shift now. Laughing Does a race glide still hog less power then the turbo?
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea this one has roller everything including tailshaft so it takes a bet less hp to turn the the th350. I had the Torrington bearings throughout the th350 but it still doesn't compare.

I am happy to report that the new glide is awesome.

Same tuneup (mild 150hp hit) the car ran a new best of 9.48 @ 143 along with a 1.44 60'

This was at 80% start and ramped to 100% over 1.5 sec.

It repeated within a couple thousands for 4 passes until being eliminated. I redlighted by -.009 AHHHH Embarassed

I turned up the car for a time only run but the cars in front of me oiled down the track so I didn't get to run it and had to call it for the day.

I really wanted that 8.90 pass but it's ok. We will come out swinging next year with even better things to come. Very Happy

It was a great season this year and the car is faster and stronger then ever.

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is everyone using for posting pictures now? Everytime I time to post something from my phone or anything it is always to big.....

9.17 @ 148
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Google because I have an Android phone and my pictures end up being there anyway. But it is a a round about process to get pictures to display in forums from a Google account, and the pictures will not show up on this site at all. That's why my posts here no longer have pictures. I can display pictures at thirdgen.org though.
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So end of season,

Time for extensive garage cleanout and getting everything ready for the next round of tear down, inspection, and update. Figured I would just keep adding to this thread and keep it updated so here is the plan for the winter.

This winter I think is definitely time to upgrade the brakes. Looking at a willwood or strange drag setup with drilled rotors, They claim a 50 pound decrease. Thinking for sure it will be a manual brake conversion. Any of you crewbies have experience in these brake kits and manual conversions?

I always have good brakes thru the traps but on the line it can be a little annoying with the hard pedal, even with an extra catch can for vacuum. Which is more weight also that can come out.

Also going to look really hard at the rearend setup and see how the axles are doing and if need be, replace with larger spline count. 31 splines are in it right now. If I end up going down that route it will definitely get a aluminum bolt thru center case and 35 spline axles with a spool. The Detroit trutrac has worked flawless but I fear I am at the end of the spectrum for use. Not to mention this would also drop a lot of weight out of the car.

Also thinking I will pull the top end of the motor apart a little bit and inspect the lifters and install a new bronze gear on the dizzy to make sure there is no problems for next season.

In the motor department I think ed quay is finally going to get a call and I am going to move to some 1 7/8's or 2" headers with 3.5" collectors. This along with a larger carb. Trying to talk with some people and see if I want to stay with a 4150 style carb or move to a dominator 4500 carb.

Definitely going to be installing a chute bracket finally and a decent chute on the back. It is time and I know I am skating on the edge of needing one. I would rather have it in a emergency then be without.

This season got me really thinking also when I watched the car in front of me catch on fire as it was headed up the return rd. and dropped crap all over the ground right underneath my car. It got me thinking about doing something in the car that would help save it if need be. All this money and time and effort spent it would be a shame to lose it. Maybe some kind of halon setup or something. I see them advertised in the summit catalog and have installed the 10 lb one in a drag car I built for a customer. Even a smaller 5 lb setup. Just something to help buy you some time till help got there.

Funny how you start thinking about that sort of stuff as you get older and your family is now in the grandstands watching you! lol

It is a very optimistic list and if I even get half of this done I will be happy but better to shoot for the stars and be happy to get off the couch then to not have any plans.

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no pictures this is a bummer, Rearend is back apart.

Been busy with things. I have a new 35X spool installed going to 35 spline axles. Axles should be here next week. This should make it so I am not back there every other race pulling axles to check it out. I should be able to make it more of an annual thing instead.

I have the brakes apart on the rear and I have located the Drag brake kit from wilwood I will be installing. So pretty much I decreased weight in the third member, but added weight with larger axles. Hopefully by the time I am done with the rear brakes I will have lost a few pounds back there. At least a wash would be ok since there is other things I can work on to lose weight.

Trying to decide on what anti roll bar to go with in the rear. I looked at the spohn unit and almost thought about the cyber Monday deal but I am not totally sold on the mount where it is fixed to the rear frame. Also I had a dealing with them on a driveline from them that I got a pretty snappy response from their tech guys. If you are going to be like that then it makes it hard to want to be a repeat customer.

This moves me more towards a BMR extreme bar or a UMI bar. I have used both companies products on the car in the past and I have been happy with them.

The TRZ antiroll setup looks awesome but then I am replacing parts I have already converted to tubular construction and I don't know if I would gain much.
Would really be awesome to have a set of Viking double adjustable coil overs for the rear! but those are expensive yikes!

This weekend I plan on getting the rest of the brake system gutted out so I can start mapping out what master and whatnot for under the hood. I think I will end up with a racecraft setup for a master cylinder and then add the normal hurst roll control and adjustable prop valve for the rear.

Very easy to let your mind spiral out of control on this car and before you know it you have it torn down so far you wont be racing next season lol since you bite off more then you can chew lol

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update.
Manual master cylinder and line lock mounted and plumbed. Also installed a wildwood prop valve to the rear brakes. I am not thinking I will even need it though. Bigger tires in the rear so I would think I would have no problem with them working. Should help stabilize the car after the traps.

Plumbed new brake lines for the front.

Axles installed and everything together just waiting on the brakes to get here for the front and back to button up the brake setup.

Also have some battery charge lugs I am trying to figure out a place for. something that will let me charge between rounds without having to pop the hatch all the time. Also going to address the charging issue with a different alternator I am thinking. Something light and small and I can move it even closer to the block. Making it better for an even smaller belt for less chance of it puking the belt. It seems to love doing that as its favorite pass time. Even with everything in perfect alignment.

9.17 @ 148
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine that a drag car brakes real screwy with all that rear traction and very little traction available on the front. Is this a case where it would be better to put the prop valve on the front brakes so you can dial in the right brake bias?
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering the same thing myself. I have it fitted to the rear brakes but I honestly think I will end up just leaving it cranked down and full power going to the rear. It always braked good even with the stock settings before I mainly was doing this for less weight and having a firmer pedal.

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ended up going for the gusto.

I am just waiting for the correct lug nuts to put this thing back on the ground since the billet specialities wheels don't play nice with their own lug nuts..... lol long story.

Ended up with a setup of custom valved Viking crusader DA adjustable shocks and struts with coil overs all the way around. These are so shiny I almost didn't want to hang them on the car. The old front setup weighted in at 34lbs on each corner in the front. The new setup is 13lbs per side in the front. The rear is another 6-7 lbs per side lost.

I also fitted wildwood dynalites on all four corners as well. The fronts are over 30 lbs lighter then the stock style brakes. I'm not sure on the rears but it appears they are considerable lighter also.

UMI extreme anti roll bar is installed. Just have to do some finish welding. I have to load the car up and bring it to work so I can use the welder.

Used the UMI camber plates since that is what the Viking were designed with they claimed.

Also used a motion raceworks parachute bracket and mount. I hung a stroud 430 chute of that. Might be a little overkill but it is nice quality chute that shouldn't jerk the chassis and will open nicely and provide plenty of slow down.

Also installed a 1/4 turn valve with a 5 inch gauge setup in the passenger area for the nitrous pressure. This will make it a lot easier then having to reach behind me to open the bottle each time. I can also keep tabs on the pressure a lot better.

Still have my normal routine items I have to get done. Gotta pull the dizzy and check the gear. set lash, new cap rotor wires. Change oil. The usual......

but this thing is getting close.

So that pretty much sums up what I have been doing lol
Car has a alignment date set for the 13th of next month so we should be good to go after that.

I gotta figure out how to post pics on here. It is turning out awesome. Should have the car under its own weight this weekend so that I can scale it and set ride height as well as do some initial adjustments to the anti roll bar.

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well another season in the books.
Ran a string of bottom 9 sec. passes but could never put together that 8.9x pass for some reason. I found the reason why lol
Z ran well until the end of the season,
I was getting it ready for an upcoming grudge battle at the track and saw the oil pressure waver 3-4 lbs less then normal for what it was. I dropped the oil and cut the filter. Sure enough...…. copper in the oil filter. Funny it never made any other noises or signs of distress.

Pulled the motor out. Two damaged rod bearings, crank needs polishing, rear main cap shows a bit of cap chatter but not bad considering. All exhaust valves leaking, best cylinder leaked at 35% all others were 45-47% Heads will need work.

A couple races prior I had a nasty over rev where water was at the starting line and as I let go of the transbrake the car hit the moisture and lost all traction. Hit the high side chip (8500) this created a loss of valve control which made exhaust valves touch kiss the tops of pistons slightly. I had the normal .080 intake and .100 exhaust clearance so I am shocked it touched but it did.

At first I thought all was ok but then after teardown I believe when the pistons kissed this also took away the cushion of oil on those two rod bearings.

So now we have Z back to racing on hopes and dreams lol

My old man wanted me to do the grudge event anyways so I am now behind the wheel of his 67 grudge car. We will be at Pacific raceways this 13th. So come on out and support a crewbie lol Even is Im not wheeling the 3rd gen haha

Been wheeling his for a bit and getting used to it. We have both cars setup very similar with this in mind. Although he has almost 200 more cubic inches then me along with a lot more nitrous setup.

I am now in the mode if trying to figure out where I take it from here.

Do I rebuild what I have now that I know what weak points are, address them and go faster.

Or do I move to bigger cubic inches. Both have their pros and cons.

I have to get it rolling by next season though since my 2 1/2 year old girl will not let that car sit or I am in trouble! "Cause that's daddy's race car and it goes fast!"

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the update is simple.

Bigger cubes, More compression, better heads, More nitrous, Better converter lol

That is the jist of it and I will show more shortly but in short.

I am prepping the car to receive a 585 cube 9.8 deck dart bbc. CFE heads. Still conventional headed though.

I got the motor used from another project that I am building. It was not going to be used for the racecar we are currently building (540 new century block based twin 94mm pro mod precisions) 68 tube chassis Camaro.

So I thought what the heck. I will make some improvements to the combo and drop it in Z and let er rip.
This same engine pushed a 2600 lb car to 8.1x at 170 or so miles an hour.

So my thought. I rebuilt the engine to accept a shot of nitrous, researched the head flow and sized a camshaft a bit more deserving of the large 385cc cnc runners, then install a induction solution sledgehammer plate.

So far. I have the engine shortblocked and am waiting on a few shims to finish the installation of the belt drive. I have the dominator carb apart and am rebuilding, improving this a but with some trick goodies. Also ed quay is finishing up my 2 1/4 headers to get them to me so I can do a test fit and final weld up on them.

Trying out Kings new XP series PMAX coated bearings. They installed sweet and the clearances were good right out of the gate!

Going to try to get the car to chassis cert in the next few weeks and get the motor installed shortly after.

Spoke with lenny over at ultimate converter concepts and I need to get another converter ordered.

I purchased an AIS front motor plate. profiled for our cars. Going to run a front plate and the side motor mounts for travel limiters. but no midplate. I can always add one later.

Should be interesting. Not sure if anyone is reading this forum much but it is fun to look back at this and see the morph of this project.

9.17 @ 148
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: