Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Duramax....... a turbocharged tale.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Duramax....... a turbocharged tale. Reply with quote

So tonight I am venting lol figured who better to vent to then my fellow crewbies.

I have an 06 Dmax dually. It's my 8k pound 6 wheeled hot rod kid hauler/ race car hauler shop truck and toy. Had it since 2010 and have loved it.

Fast forward. Turbo is getting the normal vane sticking problem (damn vvt turbos) p003a along with occasional p2563. I pull the rig into my Bay put it on the lift and remove the turbo. Thinking this was the perfect time to finish some other items that have been on the to do list I also get the pro fab egr delete coming also. Also a set of log headers and larger diameter up pipes.

I sent the turbo off to Midwest turbo connection via fed ex. Box is double braced, fragile wrote everywhere, wrapped, bubble wrapped, tons of packaging, you see where I am going with this lol. So anyways I send it to them thinking I will have them rebuild it and at the same time take the opportunity to upgrade the compressor wheel to a billet one. Fast forward almost 2 weeks. I call the turbo company "oh yea I was gunna call you........ that turbo showed up and is broke in half" crap........ so apparently fed ex dropped it from 10k feet and dropped it on the ground hard enough to break the exhaust housing on the turbo. Cast iron..... Jeesh. So now I don't even have a suitable core.

Now I have a truck on the rack for 2 weeks only to find out I have no part to work with. I decide ok I will bite the bullet and order a Danville gt3794va stage two turbo with batmowheel. Awesome turbo just never wanted to drop that kind of coin but i was going to be into it almost that anyways for a new oem replacement.

Today after almost two weeks of review fed ex has denied my damage claim of course Evil or Very Mad

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148

Last edited by izcain on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..... onto ordering the second turbo. I decided to call atp trucks over in Idaho to get the turbo since I have "Idaho rob" programming in the truck via efi live already and if you purchase large parts they will provide retune for free. For those of you that don't know who this dude is he is one that holds records for the fastest dmax in the country dragstrip speaking. Which his tuning has been great. I just went there instead of doing it myself since I have so much else going on.

I get the turbo ordered up. They say they have it in stock at first. Should be 3-5 days. Well, I find out it actually is coming from Danville in IN. Oh well. After another 3 days after the order I get a receipt and tracking number sent to me. Oh jeesh so it never even left Danville until 3 days after I ordered. 7 days later it is supposed to show up. Nope, today I get a notice, delayed due to weather in Spokane lol.

While this is happening I send my trucks ecu file over to atp to get there updated program to reinstall. 2 calls and 9 says later. Still no tune file lol

I have to laugh at this point as this is just the way this project has been going.

On the plus side the truck has been stored inside for a month. Lol

I have a slew of customers waiting to get on the rack for me to repair and it is annoying to have to tell them my own junk is what is taking up the valuable real estate.

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus side is egr delete showed in two days along with the headers and up pipes.

Also installed new calipers, rotors and pads in front.

However I am not sure what to do about the fed ex denial. They are calling tomorrow to talk with me. I have heard that you can speak to your fed ex rep from your area and it can sometimes help to get paid. Also heard that small claims court is the only way to get paid which I may need to do. It was insured for 700 so even that doesn't come close to covering the cost of a replacement but it would help.

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another plus I have been thinking about. I have this new go pro that I have been wanting to try out so I will try to get some clips of the rig for you guys to check out. These upgrades should give the truck a cool sound.

9.17 @ 148
IROCDave

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked in from a long period of time away from home. Have to ask, why would you hotrod your most trusted vehicle? I'm assuming your Dmax is that, because it should be. 06 D maxes are the holy-grail for GM diesel trucks, if it aint broke why fix it? I thought long and hard about trading my 03 in for an 06 and test drove a couple of 06's when new. It was frigging hilarious, they would bake the tires on a dry HWY on ramp when the throttled was pinned around 45 MPH.

I'm sure yours willmake crazy power when finished, but if it's your pride and joy family hauler I have to ask why hot rod it? They were great out of the box when they were new.
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lol in this case stock turbo was on the fritze. I had to replace it with something. This turbo runs the truck cooler and spools the truck better so I guess even though it is hot rodding it has made the truck healthier.

The other items were just emissions junk removed. Also the manifolds and uppipes are another gain for mpg as well as cooler egts. I did the mods with longevity in mind not to push the truck harder.

9.17 @ 148
IROCDave

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it man, but dont understand it? If you want to go fast, do it with the right tool, not the tool that was made for another purpose. 06 D max will do everything it was intended to do at the highest level. I still kick myself for not trading my 03 in on one when they were new. Such a weird time, wait a couple months and get the " cool, new body style" with emissions crap or the same old body style with the, to this date, best engine and transmission option ever offered in a US pick up for pulling.

I test drove a couple 06' LBZ's when new, I laughed every time, they went through the 6 gears so fast and at one point the CC long bed truck I was driving with the a hipster salesman in the back seat was almost sideways on the southbound 405 on ramp in Totem Lake when the tranny shifted to 5th at about 50 MPH in light rain and spun the tires and I left my foot in the throttle just to see how the landyacht would handle it. It kept spinning both tires until I let up, well past 65 MPH.

Putting a bigger turbo and peripheral support parts on your tow rig is not based on a necessity for towing purposes.

My point is this. Don't be that guy that is seduced by Diesel power and begins to think his tow rig is now more capable than the lightweight car that hauls ass that was the thing that initiated the purpose of a diesel powered tow rig.
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IROCDave wrote:
I get it man, but dont understand it? If you want to go fast, do it with the right tool, not the tool that was made for another purpose. 06 D max will do everything it was intended to do at the highest level. I still kick myself for not trading my 03 in on one when they were new. Such a weird time, wait a couple months and get the " cool, new body style" with emissions crap or the same old body style with the, to this date, best engine and transmission option ever offered in a US pick up for pulling.

I test drove a couple 06' LBZ's when new, I laughed every time, they went through the 6 gears so fast and at one point the CC long bed truck I was driving with the a hipster salesman in the back seat was almost sideways on the southbound 405 on ramp in Totem Lake when the tranny shifted to 5th at about 50 MPH in light rain and spun the tires and I left my foot in the throttle just to see how the landyacht would handle it. It kept spinning both tires until I let up, well past 65 MPH.

Putting a bigger turbo and peripheral support parts on your tow rig is not based on a necessity for towing purposes.

My point is this. Don't be that guy that is seduced by Diesel power and begins to think his tow rig is now more capable than the lightweight car that hauls ass that was the thing that initiated the purpose of a diesel powered tow rig.

You misunderstanding this post. Or maybe you didn't read it completely. The Old turbo was bad and in need of replacement, new turbo was within a couple hundred dollars of new. Hence the upgrade. Not to mention the turbo was damaged in shipping so I did not even have a viable core to use for another stock one.

All upgrades were done with towing in mind. Nothing to do with speed. Having the extra power is nice though but do I think I am going to tear away from a ZL1 Camaro? lol no!

Have you ridden in a 3794VVT turbo equipped duramax? If not then it is not in your place to state it is not a necessity for towing. The truck clocks over 1 MPG better with towing now compared to the old turbo setup. It also run a couple hundred degree's less in egt's when pulling the grade. I would say that makes it a better towing rig. As well as a healthier setup then stock. Same tool just a little bit shinier lol

I worked in the diesel performance industry I know full well about quicker diesels. This was not to make one of those rigs lol

I'm not mad or trying to pick a fight about anything but isn't hot rodding just in our nature? If it wasn't then we wouldn't be working on these old cars in the first place lol.

9.17 @ 148
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izcain wrote:

I'm not mad or trying to pick a fight about anything but isn't hot rodding just in our nature? If it wasn't then we wouldn't be working on these old cars in the first place lol.

Had that exact thought reading this. I know every rig I own becomes a project. Except the wife's honda. I looked at mod's for it last week and when I realized they were just "tinted windows, cai, exhaust" I was done. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: