Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When you KNOW you an old man thread, kids first car....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IROCDave

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: When you KNOW you an old man thread, kids first car.... Reply with quote

My oldest son (Tyler) is turning 15 in early January of next year. He is damn near as tall as me now and I am a little over 6'3". He has my wide shoulders but my gigantor younger brothers bone mass. He weights 245 pounds right now and sinks like a rock when in water. I always floated when I was his age and didn't hit his weight until I was almost 40. Sometimes I wonder how this happened.... but I digress.

Tyler is going to be a very large person by the time he is 18, 6'7"+ and 310 pounds wouldn't surprise me or his family doc. He hasn't shown much interest until lately about driving, but has started to ask about getting my car running Shocked That kinda jolted me in to action. I knew what to do, but am out of touch with what is cool for today's kids.

I struggled to wrap my mind around buying my kid a vehicle, I damn near came to blows with my dad after buying my first car with money I made from my 30 - 40 hour a week job when I was 15 YO while still passing HS and playing football and baseball. I worked my ass off for that to happen and my dad was pissed that I parked my car in front of the house. That's my baggage I suppose, but that's my experience and the type of drive I was hoping to see from kid #1.
IROCDave

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just to layout the boundaries of my dilemma, should I buy him a vehicle or not? I already knew the answer, my wife would buy something without telling me, with my money so I needed to proactive. The car is cheaper than a new wife, so I have heard.

What vehicle would you look at for the soon to be very large son? Keep in mind I already have my CC truck, wife's Yukon XL ( suburban) and company truck (2014 chevy HD single cab) parked in the driveway and my car in the garage and boat in the backyard.

I had a couple of vehicles in mind...
IROCDave

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at 93 - 96 Impalas, and found a couple I liked. My son was like "EHH". I know that if he took a ride in one he would have been more like hell yea, but then my wife would have intervened. BTW, there are a couple on CL last week that are worth looking at.

But that wasn't my first vehicle to search for. I was on the hunt for a 96 - 99 2 door 4x4 Tahoe, followed by a single cab Z71 fleetside from the same era. I've looked at several, the 92 - 94 Blazers are much more common, and honestly, seem to be in better shape. But that TBI setup and older interior is hard to take. I had a couple of Chevy trucks from that 89 - 94 area, the mouse fur interior was hard to look at back then and TBI settup made decent TQ on initial tip in but was so bad at any other performance level. The 95's had a much better interior but were still saddled with the TBI and 700R4.

So our search ended Saturday with this...
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cascadecrew.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10572 Laughing

Seriously though, I have no idea but I imagine a car big enough for him to be comfortable in isn't going to be great on gas or "cool" to him.

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
IROCDave

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1998 2 door Tahoe, with rear barn doors, original paint, no rust, lightly used interior and barely working AC.

Dang, lost my phtobucket account info, guess I need to figure out an alternate way of posting pics. I will be back soon.
IROCDave

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
http://cascadecrew.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10572 Laughing

Seriously though, I have no idea but I imagine a car big enough for him to be comfortable in isn't going to be great on gas or "cool" to him.

LOL, I have experienced one of those a couple of times in my life, and neither was good. My wife had a mid 80's version of one of those piles when I met her. I spent a ton of time fixing everything I could so she could off it to some other poor soul and buy something that didn't fall apart in the driveway. RX 7's were horribly built, and that is setting the rotary engine issues aside and being gentle to any who might still be stuck with one.
IROCDave

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/wilsonator2014/media/IMG_5644_zps04t5rkim.jpg.html[/img]
IROCDave

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/wilsonator2014/media/IMG_5649_zps4tzlq9hk.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

Last edited by IROCDave on Tue May 30, 2017 7:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
IROCDave

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone care to assist with how to post from Photobucket to this site? I used to remember how to do it....
IROCDave

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how to post pics on this site anymore, so I will post a link to what I bought for my kid. As mentioned, a 1998 2 door 4x4 Tahoe, super clean.

http://s1339.photobucket.com/

Peruse for yourself, I am having a hard time handing it over to my kid. It runs like a champ ( rebuilt 4LE60 tranny), 20 MPG on the trip home, everything but the AC works, unmolested.

I am really thinking hard about buying a certain 93 Blazer for 1000.00 that needs a motor and transmission. It would make a perfect candidate for a LSx LQ9 and 4LE80 swap. Lots of interior room, lower it a tad and look out!.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GMT400 is a great choice for tall people, and no one seems to want the Tahoes or 'Burbs anymore so you can get into a nice one for a great price.

'98 means you get the good interior, and it looks like they ticked all of the options inside to boot.

If you're worried about just handing it to him why not keep yourself on the title as the sole legal owner and sell it to him on contract?

Photobucket is a dumpster fire now. I've switched over to Imgur or Google Photos for everything now. My PB is only legacy photos and I should probably pull them off before it goes under completely.

Pics:

Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swanky ride. Aaron's right, those things have no demand now and go for a song. 96+ is definitely the way to go, and replacing the stupid poppet injectors with the aftermarket injector spider is an excellent idea as well.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now, I went through everything on that RX-7. I agree on some sides about build quality, however this thing you'd think had 70k on it. It's early 80's electrical, most mfg had issues there. Easy fixes.

Also, I fit better in the first gen RX-7 than in the Thirdgen Camaro. I'm 6' 0" and 240lbs.

Tahoes are a good choice. I'd say he needs to start getting into some cars physically and try them out. My little brother likes his early 2000 Ranger and he's 6'2" and all leg.

IROCDave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Hey now, I went through everything on that RX-7. I agree on some sides about build quality, however this thing you'd think had 70k on it. It's early 80's electrical, most mfg had issues there. Easy fixes.

Also, I fit better in the first gen RX-7 than in the Thirdgen Camaro. I'm 6' 0" and 240lbs.

Tahoes are a good choice. I'd say he needs to start getting into some cars physically and try them out. My little brother likes his early 2000 Ranger and he's 6'2" and all leg.

Lol, my comments were not directed at the one you were selling, just my experience with the same vehicles.

It's to late for him to try out vehicles, He has the one he will be driving for the next 2 - ? years. I'm 6' 2 ish, my younger brother is 6'6"ish. I didnt ask my kid what he wanted, I started with asking my younger brother what he fit in back when we were in in our early 20's. My oldest kid is going to by huge. I want him to have a vehicle he feels comfortable in, has 4WD and is easy to learn to drive in. The super short wheelbase, airbags, ABS, good crash rating, enough power to get out of its own way and decent fuel economy make the 2 Door Tahoe the perfect choice, not to mention it doesn't take up much room in the garage. I have several vehicles to park at our home and stuffing this one in the garage is a big plus.
IROCDave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught myself how to work over oxidized and or worn out factory automotive paint as well as marine gel coats. I am no expert, but can transform crappy looking paint or Gel into a decent looking product.

I am a big fan of doing a major paint overhaul every couple of years. This includes a thorough Clay Bar, several compounds on a mechanical buffer and premium waxes to keep the shizzle from messing up the paint. Neither of my sons have been interested in assisting with this bi-annual process on our DD's. Until now......wow....my oldest son is now interested in learning! I spent last Saturday working over the hood on his truck. I got him him hook, line and sinker now! He wants to know how to do it all.
IROCDave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="aaron_sK"]The GMT400 is a great choice for tall people, and no one seems to want the Tahoes or 'Burbs anymore so you can get into a nice one for a great price.

'98 means you get the good interior, and it looks like they ticked all of the options inside to boot.

If you're worried about just handing it to him why not keep yourself on the title as the sole legal owner and sell it to him on contract?

Photobucket is a dumpster fire now. I've switched over to Imgur or Google Photos for everything now. My PB is only legacy photos and I should probably pull them off before it goes under completely.

Man, to hear that is depressing, PBucket was the way to upload and post pics for more than a decade.

As far the demand for GMT 400 platforms, there is little interest in Suburbans or 4 door Tahoe type vehicles. 2 door vehicles have bottomed out and are on the rise. Their are very few with LSx swaps, and I can see that as a popular option soon. It wont hurt resale value one bit.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IROCDave wrote:
I taught myself how to work over oxidized and or worn out factory automotive paint as well as marine gel coats. I am no expert, but can transform crappy looking paint or Gel into a decent looking product.

I am a big fan of doing a major paint overhaul every couple of years. This includes a thorough Clay Bar, several compounds on a mechanical buffer and premium waxes to keep the shizzle from messing up the paint. Neither of my sons have been interested in assisting with this bi-annual process on our DD's. Until now......wow....my oldest son is now interested in learning! I spent last Saturday working over the hood on his truck. I got him him hook, line and sinker now! He wants to know how to do it all.

I see now why you bought him a truck in black. Cool

IROCDave wrote:
Man, to hear that is depressing, PBucket was the way to upload and post pics for more than a decade.

Yeah, most of my '06-'13 stuff is still on there. I really should figure out how to archive it before they get any worse or go under completely ala Flikr.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Photobucket has become a total pile of poo. It has become a test of patience to try to use it. I need to transfer all my stuff to Google too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: