Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Edelbrock E street heads
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
Looks like i've got critters who like shiny new things. Shocked

Don't bring home a Delorean. They'll think they hit the mother load.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting happier. Very Happy Between the new accelerator pump and adjusting the primary metering rod lean part throttle stop richer, I've completely rid the car of a bog and sometime pop back. Seems to be running excellent! I still wish I could idle it down more out of gear but it sounds fine in gear and doesn't try to crawl. Maybe more tweeking to do there.

Also want to try adding a few degrees timing and see what happens. Car is alot stronger <4k but seems slow to pick up after that to me. Might be my imagination though.

Still need to do some more governor tweeking on the trans. I adjusted the new tv cable cam to the midpoint tonight and get some solid shifts. 50% throttle resulted in a nice 1-2 tire spin. But I still am not getting the downshifts I want. Also WOT upshifts are @ 4500rpm right now... think I want to add about another 1k rpm to that.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the more tweeking tonight. I seemed to be getting too much fuel in the idle mix, especially when choked. It would wet the plugs before it warmed up. I had followed a recipe for a similar cam in Cliff Ruggles Qjet book. Of course it was for a 350 not a 327.. maybe that's the difference.

Anyway, I pulled the idle tubes back out of the carb. I had previously drilled them to a #62, and I wanted to close them back up to a #65 or so. So I silver soldered the ends shut with the hot air on my soldering station. Then redrilled.

Tried it out tonight and idle is a bit lower and more stable. Still plenty of fuel coming cause the choke doesn't speed it up at all. But looks like a step in the right direction.

An explanation of the idle tubes. The mixture screws we all know about adjust the amount of fuel/air mix that is let in beneath the throttle blades. This is a foam actually. The size of the idle tube orifice and the air bleed above it, determine the fuel/air ratio of this foam.

The Qjet has an idle air bypass system that i've enlarged as well. Think of this as either opening the rear throttle blades on a holley or drilling holes in them. Except in a qjet this air bypasses the main boosters so it doesn't pull in fuel from them and cause drip. So this requires addition of fuel to the idle circuit. This of course is to bump the idle up for the larger cam, without opening the throttle blades into transition.

Oh.. and i'm still debating with myself about building a 383 shortblock to put under this new top end... I fear it will happen eventually! lol
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First long trip. Went up to the meet in Tacoma and back, about 250miles. 18mpg.. so that's a bit worse but not awful. Car ran beautifully. New brakes work well too. Need to set the ac idle down a bit, but the change in idle up tube size must be about perfect.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After we all headed out, Aaron and I were talking about a unique engine setup you could do...

CCC Quadrajet on a 5.3 or 6.0. That's something I'd be willing to bet nobody has ever done!

chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be beyond the point of sanity. This is close allready. I like having computer controlled timing with knock sensing, and the tcc control is real nice now that I have the zz4 chip burned for it. In fact the cruise even managed to get the tcc to unlock once on the freeway yesterday. Control of the actual carb I could do without, but I guess having mixture feedback at part throttle is a benefit. I think the biggest thing I miss from a real efi setup is the IAC.

That's something I kind of forgot before the trip yesterday. All the work I did on the trans shift points. It was much nicer working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: