Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stupid question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott in wa.

1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: stupid question Reply with quote

Ok,
I have to ask this.
its about my water pump rotation when standing in the front of the car.

I have a serpentine belt that goes on the crank pulley then up around the water pump, then over around the alt.
alt. is on the top left

power steering is a single v belt at lower right side.

the smog pump and air conditioning have been removed.

correct? its the water pump off of the 305

thanks
scott
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have the standard rotation pump. Always think about it this way, if the pulley is turned by the grooved(inside) side of the belt it's standard rotation. If the pulley is turned by the backside or flat side of the belt its reverse. Sound's like you've got the same belt system as me. Flat belt running the water pump/alternator and v-belts for everything else. This isnt a true serpentine setup. Also left/right side etc on a car are always from sitting in the drivers seat. So drivers side is left, and pass is right(at least in america).
scott in wa.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: water pump and belts Reply with quote

Hey do you think you could send me some pictures of your set up???
Iam starting to think something is wrong.
I was and am thinking reverse rotation???
was a 305 now a 350 using all the old hardware. car was taken apart when I got it.

Temp runs around 230 or so when warmed up just sitting there.
At least that what the gage says. One fan come on about then.

when I rev the motor with the radiator cap off when cold its like a fountain in there on the line just below the filler cap. goes all over the place

I had to go straight from the throttle body bypass to this tube Iam referring to, because the heater core has a hole in it.
Also had to take off the heater control valve, for now.

Also yesterday I saw some smoke come out of the vents in the car, smelled like exhaust. when I first started it up. It went away when I turned the fan on, but it still smells like exhaust.

its kind of scaring me Confused Confused Confused .
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot you're tpi arent you? Just look at which side the belt runs on the pulley.. If its a flat smooth pulley you're reverse. If its a ribbed pulley its standard.

If I understand correctly you're talkin about the heater hose? If you don't have the shut off valve in the line the hose should run full bore. That's no problem at all, almost all gm rigs except these work that way. Should look like a garden hose wide open. A chevy waterpump pumps a huge amount of water per hour.

Smell's like exhaust/smoke.. sounds like heater core maybe. Does it steam up the windows?

Factory fan's turn on at a really high temp. Mine was set at 235*. You need a fan switch with a different temp rating to get that lower.
scott in wa.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: coolant Reply with quote

yes tpi
Ya the heater core is bad I have a puddle in the car Iam soaking up.
how would the exhaust get into the heater core? should be a sealed coolant system right?

So now I have disconnected the heater core hose and I ran a single hose from the bypass on the block, up front ( in front of the throttle body) straight to the top of the radiator.
but man it sure seems like a ton of water.
Oh ya I think I have a small leak in rad as well

thanks
scott
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking you're smelling antifreeze steam not really exhaust. Kind of a sweet exhaust like smell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: