Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You know, I never started a project thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 56, 57, 58  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mystery of the gages is now revealed. Kept it simple with the black background.

I don't really care for the dual gages being oriented vertical so I might turn them to be horizontal like the stock gages. Have not yet sorted out how I am going to mount these in the gage pod but there are a few threads at TGO with good ideas.

The reason I went with Speedhut is because of the tachometer. It has a built in shift lift. Thumbs up The LED lights are programmable to sequence by rpm intervals, but I'll just light 'em all up at the same time so it is obvious when to shift.

Even though I haven't given thought to mounting, I have given a lot of thought to wiring. The Speedhut gages have their own power inverter and dimmer dial for lighting, so I had to find a power source in the car that switches on with lights but is full system voltage (not on the factory dimmer). I found that power source, and associated ground wire, at the connector for fog light switch. My car does not have fog lights so that part of the wiring harness is open for use. I also needed to find a key-on +12V power source to power the gages. I will simply recycle the original keyed power source at the gage pod (Connector C1, Pin 9).

I traced out all the circuits of the gage pod to make sure I knew what to touch and what to leave alone. I will have to remove all the factory light bulbs and this will cause me to have to rewire the SES light circuit because that is how I am currently turning on the alternator. I will still use the stock turn signals and high beam indicator. The only alterations I am making at the dash connectors is to run the sensors wires to the new gages.

Last edited by QwkTrip on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, I got a steering shaft that was custom made to my request. It is an Astro steering shaft but the end that faces the steering wheel has been changed out for a 4th gen F-body piece so that the unit is truly a direct bolt-in on the car. I like things that fit right.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which brings us to something that doesn't fit right. I set out this morning to drill holes for the Heidts strut tower brace but didn't get any further than testing to close the hood. The thing stands higher than the fenders and the hood won't close right. I put a piece of tape across the engine bay to show how much too high.

A dusty old hood insulation mat came in a bit handy. Pretty obvious where first contact is made. It also hits the AC hose. The bar really needs to bow forward instead of going straight from strut to strut.

Points of first contact on driver side.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joys of owning a bird vs a camaro. What's your plan? Modify or return?
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably take the car down to a local metal fab shop, given them the strut tower brace, and let them decide if they want to modify or make from scratch. Odds are they will make it from scratch and I'll sell this used, new in the box to a Camaro owner. Might even go to Thirdgen Expo in May just for the sake of selling this thing to somebody on the spot. Ironic that Thirdgen Expo is in the Heidts parking lot.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also decided to soften the rear springs. I am staying with the Ground Control weight jacks but dropped down to 150 lb/in, which is the lowest spring rate they sell for the rear. Hoping to improve traction off the line by reducing the shock on the tires. Not trying to build a drag car, but there is no reason why the car can't work better than it does today.

What I really need to do is improve front end weight transfer but I can't do that until I get more ground clearance. Until then the front springs will have to stay super stiff.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roll cage arrived. Have to pull apart the interior this weekend, trial fit it, and then send it off for powder coating.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heidts strut tower brace Part II.

After talking with Heidts they decided to trade out the TPI for a TBI version. Got the TBI strut tower brace and it is a "no go" as well. The hood will not even latch, and the brace doesn't line up right and would severely deform my firewall and possibly put a twist in the car if I tried to bolt it on.

The TBI brace is much lower in the center and barely clears the intake manifold. I think that is what they were trying to achieve but unfortunately that is not where the clash is with the hood.

Points of first contact are same as before, as seen by the dust from my old hood insulation.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
My favorite strut tower brace is still the edelbrock.

I'm looking around at other options now and I see this won't fit the base model Firebird hood either. Looks like almost nothing clears the Firebird hood! Can you guys think of any in the list that I missed?

QA1 (Edelbrock) -- won't clear
Spohn -- they are just reselling QA1
Heidts -- won't clear
UMI -- won't clear
BMR -- not sure yet
Hotchkis -- no longer made
Kenny Brown -- no longer made
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I thought I knew an engineer who could have possibly designed something that fit? Razz
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a fabricator, not a designer.

I'm already on top of it and made arrangements with some folks that I've done work with before through my job.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why we see two point braces on birds.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, you knew that the whole time didn't you? Give me a break. Rolling Eyes
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After making a few phone calls it seems BMR is the only one that fits without cutting the hood bracing. Good news is it is rigid mount. The 2 point and 3 point are the same strut bar, but I'll just get the 2 point and have the firewall brace finished here locally for a better finished product.

Next on the agenda is cutting up the torque arm and trans mount in order to accommodate the Alston inner subframe connectors. I'm a little worried that job will end up invasive. I want to scope it out with the shop before anything is cut.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
Oh yes, you knew that the whole time didn't you? Give me a break. Rolling Eyes

I just assumed. I knew some of the 3pt wouldn't fit, just not details on which. I remember from the stealth ram days. Never did make a bar to fit with that.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deed is done. Car has been dropped off at the shop for roll cage install. Didn't really want to do this but here we go....
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I never thought you would get to that point. That will stiffen it up for sure, what cage did you get, and what type of door bars?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a street cage, not NHRA legal. Hoop is set further back so my head doesn't split open during a fender bender. And side bars are down low by the seat cushion. It is a Hawks bolt in "Firehawk" replica cage but I'm adding some bars, building different forward bars, and welding the whole thing in place.

The Alston inner subframe connectors are getting installed at the same time, and that will probably necessitate building a new trans crossmember. I am also ripping out the UMI torque arm mount and building a new one with more ground clearance.

Then with adequate ground clearance I am going to soften the suspension for a nicer ride and much better weight transfer. The car ought to 60' reasonably well after this but still turn good. Right now the suspension is so stiff that weight transfer is non existent and is why my 60' time sucks.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test fitted the cage today and we're not going to use it. Too many things need to be changed to make it worthwhile. I'm just going to sell it and the shop is going to try to make a custom cage in-house. They've never made a hoop before (which is the hard part) so if I don't like what I see then they won't charge me and I will order up an S&W kit and we'll go from there.
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some very nicely done cages before that were Nhra approved. Seems like if you go through all the trouble of a roll cage you would want it to be legal in case you decide to turn it up a little more. So,e of those roll cages were very tight fitted and well hidden and still complied with the Nhra rules.

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 53 of 58

Jump to: