Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nominated for COTM at thirdgen.org
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resistance will not help lol

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And let's not forget about the votes of spite from the people that hate Hawks.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
Sweet. Now the mindless masses that want to vote for a winner will vote for me just because I'm ahead.

Boy you weren't kidding. What a rout.

QwkTrip wrote:
It is QwkTrip, not QukTrip Wink

I told you you should have left your wife in there.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, boobs guns and cars. I should have had at least 2 of the trifecta. Maybe next time.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Puma because I like his car best, but I'm rooting for you in the personality contest. Gotta love a TGO troll, but can't feed them. I'm sure you understand. Laughing

Looks like you're well on your way to winning however.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius wrote:
Looks like you're well on your way to winning however.

Only because I am competing against people that haven't showed up and don't seem to give a shizzle.

You've got to admit, this is one messed up COTM competition! Laughing
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius wrote:
I voted Puma because I like his car best

Yep, nothing like a Camaro with all terrain white letter tires.
Appreciate you voted with your heart though. I can totally respect that. Cool
IROCDave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whaaaaatt??? You got your ride on the road? When did this happen? I don't visit this very much anymore but in the back of my mind I always thought I would have mine back on the road before you did.

I checked out the link and tried to vote, but need to dig up my old login for TGO. You deserve to win, your car is bad asss. What does it weight? The vid was so choppy I couldn't see the 1/4 mile time. Guess I need to get off my ass and get my relic back on the road...How hard was the LS swap really....
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has been busy! Time to get that ride back On the road Dave!

9.17 @ 148
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still in the lead! Sweet. When does voting close?

9.17 @ 148
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Dave! I think I got the engine running around early March? Yes, it has been all kinds of fun driving it again! Smile

The nuts and bolts of the swap are easy. I would say the most difficult, and the most effort, is the wiring. But you get to decide how easy or difficult it is by how much you cut and chop things.

The car is normal full weight, whatever that number is. The run in that video was 11.89 @ 123 mph with a 1.96 60' time. Comparisons that night were a new Mustang GT running 13.7 @ 108 and a 5th gen Dodge Viper (640 Hp) running 12.55 @ 121. I will go back next spring for another try and should be quicker, both time and speed. There were some problems with the car that were slowing me down and I should have that fixed. Also going to lift rev limiter a bit and get another +25 RWHP shifting into each gear. Although the car will never 60' well because I don't have it set up that way.

Izcain is building a very fast car so you should take a little time to look at his thread here. I think you'll have fun reading it and get some ideas for yourself!
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izcain wrote:
Still in the lead! Sweet. When does voting close?

Those threads usually wrap up around the end of the month.

It helps when you're the only person to actually show up to the event. Guaranteed first place ribbon. It would have gone differently if the other guys had posted up. But hey, that is the way it rolls sometimes and I'll take the wins with the losses!
IROCDave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
Hey, Dave! I think I got the engine running around early March? Yes, it has been all kinds of fun driving it again! Smile

The nuts and bolts of the swap are easy. I would say the most difficult, and the most effort, is the wiring. But you get to decide how easy or difficult it is by how much you cut and chop things.

The car is normal full weight, whatever that number is. The run in that video was 11.89 @ 123 mph with a 1.96 60' time. Comparisons that night were a new Mustang GT running 13.7 @ 108 and a 5th gen Dodge Viper (640 Hp) running 12.55 @ 121. I will go back next spring for another try and should be quicker, both time and speed. There were some problems with the car that were slowing me down and I should have that fixed. Also going to lift rev limiter a bit and get another +25 RWHP shifting into each gear. Although the car will never 60' well because I don't have it set up that way.

Izcain is building a very fast car so you should take a little time to look at his thread here. I think you'll have fun reading it and get some ideas for yourself!

I really understand the way to go is LSX, guess my question is, what is the Rom cost for going all in. Transplant engine is a variable, but transmission, drive shaft, cross members, motor mounts, accessory drive systems, AC, pedals, fuel system upgrades, cold air induction, electrical adapters to make the newer gen computer communicate with the old gen stuff etc. Is the commitment 8K or 25 K? Im willing to pull the trigger, just want to have an idea of what I'm stepping in to.?
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you listed can be a massive variable, though, Dave.

Grandpa billet buyer could sink 25K into a swap without trying too hard. Just give him a credit card and the Summit and Hawks catalogs.

On the flipside a guy with a Millermatic, a soldering iron, a nearby PickNPull, the patience to wait for eBay/Facebook/craigslist deals, and some spare time on the weekends could do it for one tenth of that price.

I think you're definitely the type of guy who can wait for a deal and slowly accumulate the parts you will need, so even with the added complexity of aircon and not fabricating all your own parts I still think you'd come out alright.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, what do you want from your car? Rule of thumb, the more you spend the less every day driver it will be.

My car is just a toy. I have about a 30 minute time limit before I want to get out of the car because my ears are done. I can't use the power without getting a massive traffic ticket. And the car is a little too uncivil for driving in heavy traffic because the engine won't drive at slow speed and the clutch will not tolerate being slipped. Also, the car needs constant maintenance and I think the longest stretch I went without tweaking or fixing something was 4 weeks. The only reason I did it is because this is my old car. Otherwise I would have gotten a C5 Corvette or something like that.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my drivetrain in 2012, I got a low mileage complete LS1/T56 out of a 2002 Z28 and put it in my car completely stock. Engine and trans have never been separated, still has the factory original clutch to this day. I paid $4500 shipped for the engine and transmission which included an uncut harness and stock PCM. I spent around $250 on mounts, reworked the harness myself, spent $150 on a mailorder tune and a few hundred getting the exhaust together. I then spent an unnecessary $550 on aftermarket gauges instead of using my factory ones and probably another few hundred on ancillary swap necessities for the fuel system, maintenance parts, etc. I reused my thirdgen pedals, radiator, electric fans and driveshaft.

I'd say I was in the $6-7k range all-in. Better driveability than any stock thirdgen, better fuel economy, and I made 325rwhp/340rwtq on Steve's heartbreaker dyno down in Portland on the Crew Dyno Day. My car should be in the 12s if I ever make it to the 1/4 mile.

For my truck however, I paid $500 after tax out the door at PickNPull for a complete 4.8/4L80E dropout drivetrain with all accessories, harness and ECU. That was out of an Express van. A truck engine swap can be a lot cheaper, but you still do need the front accessory drive, intake and oilpan from an F-Body to do the swap as clean as possible. Here's what I'd spend on a not-quite budget thirdgen swap:

Let's say a good, verified running complete 5.3/4L60E dropout from a Silverado or something costs you $1k. (Add $1.5k for a T56, but subtract a few hundred for no 4L60)
Let's also say you can't get a good deal on an LS1 FEAD so you spend $600 on all that stuff.
You can't do wiring? Pay someone $400 to rework your harness and flash your PCM.
Mounts, fuel system parts, and maintenance accessories could cost you $500 conceivably.
Get an LS1 oilpan, intake manifold and exhaust manifolds for $400, pay the dude at the exhaust shop a couple hundred to make a y-pipe.
Spend a couple hundred figuring out how to run your stock mechanical speedometer off of a VSS signal or get the trans housing modified to have a cable speedo drive.
Toss in a $50 LS1 cam or $100 LS6 cam just for fun while it's apart, the truck cam is unimpressive.

Call it in the neighborhood of $3500 all-in for 300whp and 30mpg on the highway. It's a solid option for a good cruiser, and you can trim the fat from that budget too. I think Aaron is pretty spot-on for $2500 being about the reasonable floor for an LSx swap in a thirdgen.

On the other hand, you have a T-Ram. Make it go and don't look back! Way cooler than an LSx swap I'd have to say.

izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's official there man! Your car was on the front page when I pulled it up!
Way to go!

9.17 @ 148
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! But I am finding that being a celebrity isn't all it is cracked up to be. No privacy, camera flash blindness, untrue stories about me in the Enquirer. The worst part is my wife getting in knife fights with all the female groupies. She might be a small woman but being a veterinarian she is pretty handy with a blade.

Looking forward to getting my old life back when this is all over in February.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: