Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intake idea

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlie6178

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Intake idea Reply with quote

So last summer after I ran out of other projects, I finally finished up my I guess you could call it "restoration" on my 92 1LE Z28. I had a blast cruising it around for the summer, and now I am looking to do some bolt on power. The car has headers on it, 3.73's, a 2800 stall converter, and drag radials. Other than that it's a stock old L98. It runs high 13.80's, low 13.90's all day, and will pull a 1.79 60' pretty consistent. I want to do some crazy cutting and welding, and mold both an L98, and LT1 intake manifold together, and basically make a bolt on LT1 intake with a front water crossover, and utilize the factory rails and line placement of the L98. I'm a machinist, and do these type of off the wall parts for all kinds of cars, all the time. Does anybody happen to have a whole TPI setup laying around they would let go of locally? I have complete LT1 to cut on, now I just need an L98 manifold to play with / canabilize!
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an interesting way to go about it, I thought the LT1 manifold basically bolted on if you machine the distributor hole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
charlie6178

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does, but you have to modify the fuel lines, or do AN adapters, as well as a remote thermostat and tap the intake for water at the front of the heads. I want to make it functionally like the TPIS mini ram, without spending a couple grand at TPIS. and I want to utilize the TPI rails and lines so it will be a direct bolt on without hacking at the fuel lines on the car. It's going to take a ton of welding an machine work to do it, but I am 100% confident I can make something that will work as well as the TPIS mini ram, or the McFarland short ram, and direct plug and play, and look like the car came that way. That and a set of ported 113's, with a good tune, and I think it will change the way the car pulls up top dramatically.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are doing all that, I would slap a cam in as well to take advantage of the higher RPM flow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
charlie6178

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I'm not going for huge horsepower by any means. I still want a stock camshaft sound. The heads I am working on are going to be focused on air speed Than volume, and a bunch of unshrouding and chamber work. I am going to do 1.65 comp steel rocker arms to get the lift up a bit. I want to keep the car looking, sounding, and driving, as factory appearing as possible. My main goal really is to just get rid of the thing falling on its face at high rpm with the stock TPI intake. It hooks and digs just fine down low, then as soon as it shifts to third it just runs out of beans on the drag strip lol I did some Wednesday night ET brackets last season with my 4th gen, and had a ton of fun after not racing for the last 7 years. I am just aiming at making the most out of a "max effort bolt ons" stock L98.

So if anybody has a tuned port intake / fuel rail / throttle body setup laying around they want to go away cheap, I'd love to get started on this project!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: