Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a set of DeWalt Max 20v. Like Aaron said, they always kind of smelled like burning brushes, but one day the impact sparked and smoked something terrible and smelled like the gates of hell opened up in my shop. I took it apart and one brush cracked right into pieces, so I shaved it flat and put it back together and it still worked fine until I gave it away. The batteries were starting to be crap, to the point where I could drill maybe 5-6 holes in a 2x4 per battery. This was about 20 months after purchase, so I gave them away and bought a set of Makitas cheap from an electrician buddy of mine and they are still going strong. The Makitas are just a bridge solution though; when I wear out the batteries, I'm buying Milwaukee Fuel like Aaron has. Those suckers are amazing.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I have never had a crush sleeve so hard to crush in my life. Granted I'm doing this on the ground with both the exhaust and the torque arm in the way, but my god. I ended up taking the nut off 3 different times and lubing with moly wheel bearing grease to gain any forward progress at all. I was using an old 9/16 end wrench with the box end over one ujoint bolt and braced against the torque arm to hold the pinion, turned that sucker into a U. But I finally managed to get the slack out and a bit of pre-tension.

New side bearings and I have alot more pretension on the carrier as well. I'll bet that was the noise when you release the throttle.

Slid the rotors on, looks like everything fits. Seems i've gone the long scenic route to putting in a 4th gen rear. This started out as an 87 2.73 open rear. Then at some point I got 3.23s, then put in an auburn posi. Which I removed when I scored an SLP takeout Zexel which also required a 28spline axle upgrade. Now i've cut off the drums and put on 98 discs.
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, the only thing different from a 4th gen rear is the width now. Wink
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting there...

Ya ya ya .. Pink

Redder.

The wrench I used to stop the pinion from turning..

chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight setback. The prop valve I bought came from a 91 disc/disc camaro. Looks identical to mine.. except the thread pitch is course instead of fine on 50% of the fittings. Sad So I took both of them apart and they appear to be identical inside except for the spring. Wasn't using the stock spring anyway, so I put one of my new heavier springs in my original valve and re-installed. Now I need to bleed everything again.

Still waiting for my rear brake brackets too.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barely worked on it, but got the brackets installed. Discovered that I must have used the front ls brake hoses on the rear. I had a choice of a couple very long hoses or a couple short ones with a 90* sweep on the banjo. Neither worked well up front so I stuck with the stock hoses there. The short ones seemed to work best in the rear, but maybe the long ones were for an upgrade over stock 4 wheel disc?

Anyway, I used the short hoses but had to hit the bracket with a harbor freight step drill by one size. Still locks the hose from turning and fits perfect. Hawks conversion cables are fit into the brackets now.. I'm hoping my ebrake drum adjustment is close. I was figuring on adjusting through the backing plate but don't see a hole? Still need to slide under and hook the brake cables up on the front end. Tomorrow.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Finis! Even has a working ebrake which I haven't had for quite awhile. Can bring the tires just to the point of lockup very very easily.

Car hadn't been run down the road for awhile, just short starts to move it around. Plugs were fouled and for the first few miles I thought I had running issues again. But she cleared out and is running awesome.

Bad thing.. putting back tires back on I notice they're starting to dry rot. Sad Don't even want to think about how old these actually are. So now I need to start to think about new tires and/or possibly wheels of larger size.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and about the Hawks conversion brake cables. They don't follow the same path as the originals, at least not the original drum brake cables. Gotta ignore the cable hold down on top of the rear drivers side. Both cable route under the rear. I put them between the rear housing and sway bar. Other then that they seem to fit fine.

Brake hardlines : Using the 4th gen brake hose/cable brackets the original drum hardlines were easily tweeked into position. I did no cutting or replacing. One side I had to make a bit of a U behind the axle to take up a couple inches of extra line. Doesn't look bad and I didn't feel like trying to cut the spring from the outside of the line in order to shorten it.
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear the Hawks cables work. I'm about to pull the trigger on them, but wasn't sure if I should pay extra to get the ones from FlyNBye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: