Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You know, I never started a project thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 56, 57, 58  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, this was flooded bad. Wouldn't start by 'clear flood' mode. Had to burn it out.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually made the idle better by playing with the tune. Me.... with no help.... I did it all by myself. Shocked Yes, I was surprised as much as you guys.

Finally, a cold start with smooth idle (followed by a little rev of course).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=166Lh9F2D5Y
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a few pictures. Nothing fancy, just a clean, stock body Firebird with a 22 year old paint job. I think she still holds her own in a crowd. Thumbs up

Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That start sounded pretty good, glad you were able to play with it a little. Cold start is hard since you only really get one chance per day. Wink

Car looks really good as well! Thumbs up

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. Keeping those wheels is a good idea imho.

What's your sidewall height?
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

275/40-17 Nitto NT05R out back
255/40-17 Nitto NT05 front
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Keeping those wheels is a good idea imho.

Ya, I agree. Rear wheels aren't tucked quite far enough but it is okay. If I showed you a picture from the back end you would see what I'm talking about.

I want the car to look like a 1989 Firebird and not try to update it too much with modern wheels. Those '90's era wheels are a good look for now and I'll probably keep wearing them next year too. Frankly, if I narrowed the rear axle a tad then I wouldn't even have any desire to get new wheels at all.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car's looking and sounding excellent. I'm not used to seeing that flat hood on a nice car. Everything else screams Formula to me. Looks alot like my car in red. Smile
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man, you have no idea how many times I wanted a Formula hood in my younger years! These days I'm happy with what it is.

I have always wondered how an IMSA hood would turn out, but with a fairly low rise. Just kind of a bulge that makes the hood more muscular.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always wanted an IMSA as well. When I spotted Schultzy's hood at the swap meet I thought I'd found one at first. I was there to buy truck parts though and was torn between buying the hood or what I needed. So Mike ended up with the BAH.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that work to install a nice low intake and then installing a bulged hood bothers me from a logical perspective. Laughing

I can see from the first and fourth pic what you are saying about the rear poke not matching the front. A taller sidewall or a lower ride height would help alleviate that, but I suspect you would not be happy with either option, especially the latter.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonder how much material there is on the wheel, maybe you could get a machine shop to mill the mounting face of the rear wheel to get it to sit a tick further in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a new camshaft today. Custom grind by EPS and it should make some real power this time.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been reading a lot about brakes trying to figure out what is wrong with my system.

Question: Does a quick take up master cylinder only work on the front brakes? It seems the design has to be that way.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brakes still suck. Really low pedal now and it just feels like I am really front bias when braking. I'm not driving the car at the moment because the pedal is so low. I have spent a lot of time reading about brakes the last week. More than I ever wanted to. But I have to figure this out because my pedal feel sucks.

1) I had to settle my mind that my brake combination is okay. Made up a big spreadsheet with all kinds of calculations and determined my brakes have the bias equivalency of a C5 Corvette. That should be fine so my brakes should work great.

2) Researched my calipers and have come to the conclusion I do not have low drag calipers so no need for a quick take-up master cylinder. My brakes should work great.

3) Checked my rear calipers tonight. Some friction (normal) when turning the rotor, proper pad position, and the sliders move freely. Piston moves freely as well. No obvious fluid leaks. Pads are barely worn at all.... interesting.

4) Had my wife push the brake pedal (car not running) while I spun the rear rotors by hand. Rotors do not grab until the pedal is way down. Turned the prop valve full lock the other direction with same results. Although I kind of expected that because we're just doing this manually without the engine running.

5) Pulled the master cylinder off the booster and checked the movement of the master cylinder push rod. Push rod moves immediately when the brake pedal is pushed and is not restricted at all. I couldn't check rod clearance yet because I still have all the brake lines hooked up to the master.

I'm done for tonight but tomorrow I am going to do the same rotor spin test on the front rotors. Results of that test will help narrow down the problem.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you've totally removed the original proportioning valve/brake switch assembly? If not those can get stuck to one side. You have to open a bleeder on the opposite end of the car and mash the brakes to force the valve to center itself again.

I also find having a set of plugs that can seal off one side of the master or other can be useful in diagnosis. Plug the rear output right at the master and see if the pedal is at the top and hard.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, original prop valve is gone.

Ya, I was thinking about plugging the rear port and seeing if the pedal feel changes. I called Earl's today to ask if it is okay to pinch my brake hose but no go on that.

Wish I still had the roll stop plumbed in.... instant line plug with the flip of a switch.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds exactly like what my Chevette did. Master setup only, no booster.

Started with the original master, got 3 different remans, 1 new. I was using S10 drums IIRC and thirdgen front calipers. Then went to an S10 master, no change.

If you pump the pedal, does pressure increase? I'd take the damn prop valve out of the equation for now.

I was convinced that one of the flared fittings was introducing air, but not leaking. Not common, but I've seen it since.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedal does not change when pumping.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO all of these symptoms point to either air in the system or a failure of one of the caliper pistons.

Buy some brass plugs and plug both sides of master. Spongy/bouncy = bad bench bleed. Slowly sinking = master cylinder DOA.

If it checks out then use the plugs to test one circuit at a time and narrow it down to front or rear.

Once you've got it narrowed down to a single circuit use a pair of needle nose vise grips with fuel hose over the jaws to clamp one hose at a time to narrow it down to a single component or line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 43 of 58

Jump to: