Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starter Woes.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Starter Woes. Reply with quote

Crew,
My Powermaster Mini-starter from 2006 has failed for the second time. Baxter's is refusing to honor the lifetime warranty the claimed the starter had because Powermaster now has a 1 year warranty. They will change their tune if I can produce a document citing the warranty. So... anyone have a warranty statement for their powermaster ministarter? Also, do you remember Powermaster startrs having a 1 year warranty?

As this will probably be a bust: After going through two of these in 6 years with this one giving me trouble for the last three I am not interested in another powermaster unless it's free. What are you all using now? Do you like it?

Thanks!
-Tony

*EDIT - I went back and read some old posts. I did this to myself with excessive heat: http://cascadecrew.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9991&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=powermaster&start=20

Never did get any chip burning stuff. I am looking for a house right now, as soon as that is done I am going LS, so I probably never will.

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OEM LT1 starters are the best bet for a gen-I SBC. Maybe LT4 if you're fancy. Gear reduction, small size, readily available.

If you are going to run an LS just throw a junkyard starter in there and roll with it until you do the swap.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a parts store LT4 starter for years. It worked great until I went LS. Prior to that, I was constantly replacing solenoids as I cooked them with my headers and even replaced the starter motor a couple times. I had the big old classic GM starter.

My truck had the same old school huge starter on it for 10+ years with long tubes though, never had a single heat related problem.

iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the generic parts store factory replacement starter (reman/lifetime warranty) on my 305 from when I did the t56 swap until I yanked the motor. With long tubes and daily driver duty I never had any issues. Never replaced it either. I may have just gotten lucky.

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IME shorties seem to cause more trouble with starter solenoids than longtubes. Of course the design of each header design has a lot to do with it as well. The FlowTechs on my IROC actually touched the solenoid on the OEM starter, that didn't last too long. Laughing
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most starter solenoids and mag switches have a maximum ambient temp limit of 120 C. Any hotter than that and you can begin to run into problems. The measurement is taken in the air about 1 inch from the solenoid (for those goofballs that are actually going to measure it).
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threw an LT1 starter in. Lets see how long it lasts. Thanks for all the advise guys, glad to know I'm not the only one with shorty/starter problems.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever oriellys carries is lifetime. My f350 chews them up every few months. I been returning them. But eventually they will turn me away. Correction. The remans one year. The new are lifetime
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchaussee wrote:
Whatever oriellys carries is lifetime. My f350 chews them up every few months. I been returning them. But eventually they will turn me away. Correction. The remans one year. The new are lifetime

Yeah I went through 3 of those, LT1 style. Garbage
That's why they have a lifetime warranty. Finally got one from a starter rebuilder and it turned the engine faster and outlived every one of the previous tenfold. Still on the engine in a 55chevy cranking away.

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, parts store starters are hot garbage. I have honestly had better luck buying OEM starters at the junkyard vs. parts store stuff.

IME the cheaper one-year remans can often actually be better than the new lifetime units. The "superior" new unit is just flimsy Chinese junk, but the cheapo rebuild unit is a Delco or Denso part with some Mexican brushes slapped in it. YMMV of course, always have the parts person pull it down and inspect it thoroughly.

I see the same thing with other parts like water pumps and alternators too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: