Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dynamat, ect.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Dynamat, ect. Reply with quote

So as it turns out I'm an old man now, so I guess it's time to do old-man mods or whatever. Namely I want to work on the sound deadening. Years of poor life choices have left me with terrible tinnitus and that doesn't work well with the whole Japanese-truck-as-a-rolling-beer-can.

I am thinking of using a brush-on product covered with an asphalt glued-on product. I am strongly temped to use bootleg internet recipes for both, because of course I am. Laughing

What do people like? What do you guys have experience with?
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a carpenter.. throw a couple cans of spray foam in there... Laughing
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I covered the floor of my Jeep Cherokee with asphalt stick-on mats and 1/2" of carpet padding and it did nothing for the sound. I think you've got to go all the way and do the doors and interior body panels if you want results. And you still won't have modern sound damping glass.

If you really want quiet, it's probably time to get a modern full-size SUV or truck. They are more quiet than cars it seems.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an aging group we are. Our boards now are sound deadening, and the advice is to buy an accord or SUV. hahhaa

On that note: The German cars also are fairly quiet inside, with the exception of VW or anything M
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
You're a carpenter.. throw a couple cans of spray foam in there... Laughing

Hey now, nothing wrong with spray foam as long as you can keep it from getting wet. Smile Still, there are no cavities to fill, I need something I can apply to flat or curved panels.

QwkTrip wrote:
I covered the floor of my Jeep Cherokee with asphalt stick-on mats and 1/2" of carpet padding and it did nothing for the sound. I think you've got to go all the way and do the doors and interior body panels if you want results. And you still won't have modern sound damping glass.

Oh I am absolutely going to do as much of the cab as I can: firewall, floor, back wall, roof, and doors. I don't have much real estate to cover so I may as well.

QwkTrip wrote:
If you really want quiet, it's probably time to get a modern full-size SUV or truck. They are more quiet than cars it seems.

Thought about it but no one makes anything resembling a normal-sized truck anymore and I can't do full size, my cock is too big. It's a real problem, I know.

Dewey316 wrote:
What an aging group we are. Our boards now are sound deadening, and the advice is to buy an accord or SUV. hahhaa

On that note: The German cars also are fairly quiet inside, with the exception of VW or anything M

This is very true. I was impressed with the amount of deadening in my BMW, especially considering that it was just a basic econo/sporty model and not even a fancy old-person Bimmer. Of course after I ripped all of that out it was one of the most miserable droney cars I have ever owned. Laughing
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hesitant to do something semi-permanent, but also interested in sound deadening. Let me know how the cheap DIY route turns out for you, Mr. Guinea Pig. Wink

My truck is much quieter than the Camaro, and as near as I can tell the biggest difference between them is that the truck has nearly twice as thick of jute padding with a heavy rubber sheet over it, then a thick pile carpet. The Camaro has a thin and light jute layer with a tougher, shorter pile carpet. At least more padding is a reversible mod.

I remember reading something years ago that said any asphalt-based peel and stick or paint-on products don't dampen the reverberation noise of the panel itself very well, they only dampen reflected sounds. As such, they do contribute to a quieter ride, but they don't quell the primary noise as well as padding of some sort with an air barrier component. I was doing some reading after you mentioned this to me, and some people use a closed-cell foam product designed for duct insulation. Maybe something like that is worth a try?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/E-O-12-in-x-15-ft-Self-Stick-Foam-Foil-Duct-Insulation-FV516/100028603

Last edited by Alphius on Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius wrote:
I remember reading something years ago that said any peel and stick or paint-on products don't dampen the reverberation noise of the panel itself very well

That's basically what a sound engineer told me when it didn't work on the Jeep. The whole idea is to change the vibration characteristics of the body panel so the panel does not transmit the sound as well. Problem is the frequencies we're dealing with in cars isn't in the range that the stick-on sheet works. You're probably better off with a thick acoustic pad.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this has turned into a terrible rabbit hole. Laughing

It seems that most of the benefit of the paint-on Lizard Skin-type products is heat reduction which is not a concern for me, and combined with the annoyance and downtime involved with installing it I am ruling it out.

The whole mass load vs. barrier load thing is cool. I am not looking for a perfectly quiet Mercedes experience. This is an old truck with a four banger and a live leaf rear axle. I have no panel rattle (it's a Toyota, not a Chevy) and a minimal sound system (no amp or sub).

I think my current plan is to buy a small amount of butyl tiles (or maybe asphalt if I'm being cheap) to run in the door skins, back wall, floor pans, and roof. Then skin the entire thing with a closed-cell product like Ensolite or the stuff Gabe linked to.

My dash shell is crack city and I need to pull it all out and replace it with a new shell I purchased, so I think I will start with the firewall, then do the floor and rear wall since they are easily accessible.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say asphalt product... I imagine you using 3 tab. Laughing

I've seen the guys on the 67-72 truck forum use the stuff Gabe linked.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the best, Brandon. Smile

So I have been strongly considering going with this RAAMaudio mat and foam combo pack:

http://www.raamaudio.com/package-1-20-sheets-of-raammat-bxt-ii-37-5-sq-ft-and-3-yards-ofensolite-iuo-peel-and-stick-41-625-sq-ft/

To buy the equivalent amounts of an asphalt product (Peel & Seal) to replace the mat, and the closed-cell foam that Gabe linked to to replace the Ensolite, I would be in the neighborhood of $110 with tax plus the time going to pick it up. Plus I would then have to deal with doing the entire truck in product that comes in 6" and 12" wide strips.

The RAAM product is butyl instead of asphalt (no smell) and their foam is 36"x55" so there will be much less fiddling around and much less waste due to overlapped seams. All for $180 shipped to my door.

I really wanted a good bootleg scam, but I think spending money may be the wiser choice here. I really am old. Sad
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used PeelnSeal. I love that stuff. It may be a it different not having a roof but the peelnseal + actual door panels all but eliminated the annoying noises I was getting straight up through the floor. It made the car so much nicer to drive. I know it didn't completely get rid of all the sounds but it quelled the frequencies that most aggravated me.

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the answer! This says mountain man all over it. Plus you can save on rent.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/find-of-the-week-1981-toyota-dualie-pickup-with-matching-fifth-wheel-camper/ar-BBrAig5?li=BBnb4R5&ocid=DELLDHP
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, glad to see that silly thing sold. It was up on the local craigslist around Christmas time. I think they were asking 10K for the package then.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the peal and seal stuff as well. But as arron mentioned the small rolls don't cover much and it takes forever. I now have sprayed both underneath and inside of car with the ruberised stuff from harbour frieght. And the. Put 1/2 carpet pad down. But as I have no engine. Doors are not on and the interior is out I don't know how well it will work. But with 5 kids I was thinking of putting doors on it. Cutting hole in floor with a bucket and using it as my throne room. Because I need some damn peace and quiet
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10% off sale on the RAAMmat and Ensolite foam suckered me in. We'll see how this goes! Cool
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*like*

Keep us updated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: