Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ecoboost awareness seminar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect this level of post-dyno excuse making from someone who put down shitty numbers, but those are very impressive. If anything I would be thinking about detuning it to save your tires from that torque spike under the curve and just for general driveability.

An excellent job nonetheless. Thumbs up
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
I would expect this level of post-dyno excuse making from someone who put down shitty numbers, but those are very impressive

This is amateur level work. I'm holding the professional quality excuses for the Firebird. Laughing

Concerning the tune, it feels linear if you stay under half throttle. It only throws surprises if you push it harder. I've never had a turbo gasser before and it does seem inconsistent / unpredictable at times.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a mail order tune or did you work with a dyno tuner? Gabe would know more on this than I, but you may be able to tune some of that boost spike out of it.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the methods Ford uses to control boost in the ECU, but I suspect that it is very complicated. I'm not sure if there's even any DIY tuning solutions for EcoBoost yet, so even if I wanted to look I probably couldn't. Whether the aftermarket has properly reverse engineered the intricacies of the boost control scheme as of yet is up for debate as well.

The combination of drive by wire, direct injection, variable cam timing and variable geometry turbos means boost control can probably be likened to a fine art. I'm guessing there's a "perfect storm" of conditions causing the intermittent spike. Lots of variables that affect volumetric efficiency in there.

Good numbers! I've driven a stock Taurus SHO a good number of times, and it's a pretty good kick in the pants as-is. 500+ ft-lb at the wheels must be serious business! Can't overstate the ability to make full boost at sub-2k.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think you're right, Gabe. Ecoboost engine tuning is very complicated. So much so that I don't trust most tuners.

This was a custom mail order tune refined through data logging and multiple revisions. In the real world you don't feel a "spike" in the sense of a temporary pulse of power. What you feel is the sudden onset of power that doesn't let up through the gear. This isn't any kind of problem that 4WD doesn't fix. Very Happy

aaron_sK wrote:
but you may be able to tune some of that boost spike out of it.

That low end torque is the only trick in my bag. I'm not giving up any of it. I don't have enough Horsepower to pull a pony car on the roll so I depend on a hole shot in 1st gear for any chance of a win. Once I'm through 1st gear it's just a question of how long can I hold off the other guy before he passes me. And with any luck I can hold them totally at bay within the speed limit and give the illusion that they would have never caught me. Wink
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught up with my tuner and learned that my numbers are in line with their past experience on a Mustang dyno. And the big torque in Run 1 is an anomaly with the dyno and it happens now and then. So that means my numbers are more characterized by Run 2, which is 340 RWHP and 442 TQ.

No more excuses, data appears legit. Wink
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it's a mildly depressing thought that a new V6 pickup truck with a tune is probably as fast as my stock LS1-swapped Z28. I made 320/340 to the wheels, but I have a solid 1500lb weight advantage. I'm seeing the EcoBoost at mid-low 13's with a tune and deep into the 12's with just a tune and meth.

Does that mean I need heads and a cam to feel superior again? Laughing

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the max effort tunes, not the norm. Those people are risking it all for a bit of glory. My guess is my truck would run 13.8 second. I have an abnormally heavy version coming in at 6300 pounds so it is an accomplishment if I can just stay mid-pack.

We are living in a golden age of performance. Some of the cars made today will be extremely valuable collector cars in the future. But I still think it's kind of odd that since 2011 the fastest OEM truck you can buy has a V6.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still doing my part to build awareness. Helping the MOPAR crowd understand the 300C HEMI is no match for the little Ecoboost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: