Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ecoboost awareness seminar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, did any of you notice the new Ford GT will have a 600 Hp 3.5L Ecoboost? That engine has the EFR turbos like the Daytona race car. Seriously detuned to stay as low as 600 Hp. Those are an 850 Hp set of turbos.

Raptor also will be Ecoboost, a hotter version than standard F150. No specifics yet, but if it is fitted with EFR turbos then look out....
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like 450hp for the Raptor.

Nair said, "The development we're doing here in racing we're taking right back into the production car, so a lot of what we learned we're putting back into the F-150 Raptor getting 450 hp…this same engine's going to go in our Ford GT at over 600 hp. So it's straight from production to racing, back to production."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autostrucks/ford-engineering-boss-confirms-new-f-150-raptor-makes-450-hp/ar-AA8CbwX?ocid=DELLDHP
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect some insane Raptors if that means what I think it means. I wonder if the 10 speed trans can handle big power.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E4OD could barely handle the Powerstroke, heck the AXOD in your Grandma's Taurus couldn't even handle the power of the lowly Vulcan V6. Sounds to me like the Ford boys are just keeping the streak alive. Wink

The interesting thing to me is how Ford's massive purchase of turbos is allowing BW to sink massive amounts of money into R&D for these EFR turbos.

I make fun of Ford and their utter disregard for what will actually work in the real world, but this is all very real data and very real money, and it will trickle down to non-stupid projects (like the 3cyl. Fiesta) and to homebrew hotrod guys like myself.

BTW, did Ford ever solve the pretzel frame problems on the Raptors? Serious question.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 6 speed is probably the strongest transmission to ever be in a 1/2 ton truck, any brand, any time.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that shuddered, slammed shifts, downshifted abruptly, got stuck in fifth gear, leaked fluid and was recalled due to torque converter failure? That's the transmission that you're going to hold up as the pinnacle of Ford's engineering?

The 6R80 isn't even the best transmission Ford ever put in a half ton.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, brother. Rolling Eyes Just because something happens doesn't mean the whole world suffers. That transmission is a brute (and drives awesome by the way). Your claim was that Ford transmissions would fall apart behind a powerful engine. I'm pointing out my trans is extremely strong for a 1/2 ton. The trend is auto transmissions are getting stronger, not weaker.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Autos are certainly getting stronger, there is no doubt. They went through the same odd dip as engines did trying to bridge the gap between power and efficiency. This causes some of the earliest automatics to be the strongest because no one cared about a silly little thing like 30+% drivetrain loss.

Then the push came in to reduce rotating mass and lighten everything up so transmissions start breaking. People forget about what a pile the early AXOD was, but that transmission would only do 60-80K between rebuilds. GM had the same issues with the 200C and the early 4Ts that were garbage.

I will absolutely give you that the 6R (and really that entire ZF design) is a great trans, but it's certainly not the strongest ever. That's just silly.

The interesting thing will be seeing how much lifespan traditional torque converter automatics will have. Automatically-shifted manuals are becoming more common, and with fully electrically-driven hybrids on the horizon who would still need a hydraulic coupler.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet auto's are almost the entire market and I don't really change all that many of them. I did however install 2 clutches this week.

If you keep looking forward because there's something better in the future you miss all the good stuff that's out now. I have a similar issue in that by the time something's old enough I can afford it, I no longer want it but whatevers new instead. Smile
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer.... Both the GT and Raptor have hybrid K03/K04 turbos. Still a good upgrade over current Ecoboost but not the monstrous potential of the EFR's.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the LET performance tune back in. I'm really curious how I compare to stock. Need somebody to pick on so I can find out. Twisted Evil
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered an intercooler today.

Haven't danced with anyone yet. Almost had a 5th gen Camaro V6 on the hook but it didn't bite.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the intercooler today. Bigger than I thought it would be. Looks small in pictures but it is anything but!
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A twin turbo upgrade kit is out now. 500 - 1100 Hp capacity. Shocked Makes just a hair over 500 RWHP on stock fuel system with a conservative 91 octane tune.

http://www.full-race.com/store/ecoboost/ford-f-150-freakoboost-twin-efr-turbo-kit.html

Too rich for my blood but talk about a sleeper!
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obligatory dual valve oil catch can upgrade for a turbocharged engine.

I got a UPR "Mega" dual valve catch can. This was a very nice kit that went together in a breeze. It took me longer to read the instructions than to install it. No gimmicky botched together hoses and parts. All very nicely done with high quality parts.

Driver side install with clean side separator in the valve cover and hose to air inlet (cold side of turbo).

Passenger side install with hoses to valve cover and manifold. Just push and wait for the "click", hoses connected. Done.

Catch can installed in front of radiator. It has a ball valve at the bottom to drain contents, and a barbed fitting for a hose if you like. I will be installing a clear hose so I can drain it without spilling on the truck and see when it stops draining. I did have to remove the side skirts at the edges of the radiator for hoses to pass through on both sides. Also had to move the ambient air temp sensor. I chose to just fold the sensor back on harness and zip tie it. One thing I couldn't do is put the engine cover back in place. I suppose I could have if I was willing to push down hard on the hoses but I didn't want to stress the connections and cause an air leak. I'm just leaving the cover off for now.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now with a catch can in place I am willing to install the intercooler I bought months ago.

Wagner intercooler (left) next to stock intercooler (right). If I remember right, the Wagner is 30% larger and has less pressure drop from inlet to outlet. The stock intercooler is a real lightweight with plastic manifolds. The Wagner intercooler is heavy and really packs on the pounds.

Side view so you can see the difference in thickness. The Wagner is quite a bit thicker front to back.

Pretty quick job with no surprises. I like it when things fit right. Thumbs up And yes, there was a large pool of oil puddled in the old intercooler. There is a source of Ecoboost misfires for ya.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty air filter = turbo passing oil.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just an undersized filter. Ford used the same panel filter as the n/a V6 on the EcoBoost trucks. I'm rarely a fan of aftermarket air filters, but in this case I think it would really help.

I think that intercooler will be a good upgrade for you, Jon. The factory unit is proven to be some hot garbage.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Yep, stock intercooler is marginal from the beginning.

Put in downpipes today. Thumbs up But it was not fun. Thumbs down The top bolts on the turbo flange were a real bitch. And there was just a lot of stuff that had to come out to get the job done.

My first driving impression is I didn't feel any difference seat of the pants, but the rear tires are telling me different. Tires light up like never before. The turbos are supposed to spool up faster but honestly I didn't really notice. They were spooling quick anyway with the tune. I'll get more out of these mods after the tune is adjusted for it.

No difference in sound in the cab thanks to the extra resonators on these downpipes. But the turbos are whistling much louder outside and you can hear it loud and clear with the windows down. Every person around can't help but notice.

The welds on the Solo brand are not very impressive. I've seen much better. But there aren't any leaks and it fit okay. Although they did not provide the right bolts for the exhaust hangers so I had to scrounge my box of miscellaneous bolts.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air intake for Ecoboost is quite good. The air box is same as used with 6.2L. I'm not even bothering to do an aftermarket intake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: