Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Briggs and Stratton 3hp motor.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Briggs and Stratton 3hp motor. Reply with quote

So I was recently given a lawnmower for scrap. Mower doesn't seem to be in bad shape, other than a busted pull cord. I've since replaced the pull cord, and spark plug. Changed the oil out of it, and put fresh gas in it. I finally can get it to start and run for a second, then die.

I was thinking carburetor or ignition coil next, I've tried tweaking with the throttle and Idle, but nothing improved. how would I check for spark delivery from the ignition coil, without zapping myself? but I've never redone a small engine's carb, much less one for a 2 cycle motor. Anyone have any pointers or some experience that might be able to navigate me in the right direction.

I'm kind of flying blind here and am just applying what I know from a 4 cycle engine, as basic air, spark, and fueling needs.

thanks in advance, crew.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it 2 cycle? Never ran into a briggs 2 cycle. But if its a regular briggs when you unbolt the carb from the gas tank there's a diaphram underneath. This diaphram works as a fuel pump. Also there's a small partition in the tank under the carb. That is the "float bowl".. Make sure there's no holes in either the diaphram or the float bowl.. then just blow out all the passages with carb cleaner.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like B said I would start small. I have "fixed" a couple of those motors just by rinsing the carb passages out. It's really bad on mowers since they fill with grass and dust.

Spark you can check by setting the plug on the head.

Also pull the air filter off while troubleshooting. A dirty or soaked filter will cause symptoms as you describe.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember to put the air cleaner stud back in.. That causes a leak without it. You said it starts for a second or 2.. that tells me it has spark. That system is so simple you either have it or not. Bout the only other thing I can think of is if the flywheel key has sheared. That will change the ignition timing. Happens alot with lawnmowers. You hit a root or something and the flywheel keeps on going shearing the key.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neighbor has a briggs mower. There's no fuel filter on his. I'm constantly cleaning the carb. Luckily it has rubber gaskets so no parts, just a hour every few months.

Keeps him happy about the band noise lol.

Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, new filter, cleaning the carb and some spray ethanol seemed to do the trick. Fires and runs. Stayed running with my hand on the "throttle" bar for a solid couple minutes. Big thanks, everyone for your input.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue to consider with these two strokes is the ethanol content in the gas. It kills tHem. When I love lived in renton I had no problems but now that I am back north in ferndale I gotta clean carb after every mow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: