Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T5 out, T56 on the way in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazingly I'm still running a chromemoly Paul shortened for me. Never even had it rebalanced afterwards. Dude's a wizard.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Paul's shortened chromoly shaft. If it happens to be the right length, all I need to do is have the yoke changed. In all I have 3 choices - Use Paul's and have the yoke changed, shorten the stocker and use its yoke, or shorten the aluminum shaft I have in the garage and change its yoke.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tranny is mounted... sort of. I need to fix two bolt holes in the frame rails. Forward on on the passenger side was never tapped and was already too big for the size tap the others are. Rear one on the driver side stripped with very little effort. Maybe just tap for larger bolt or put in a heli-coil. Now ready to shorten or modify a driveshaft and wire up the reverse lockout solenoid.

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up having to tap those holes oversized, 7/16-14 from the 3/8-16 they were. I decided to do all four to keep things uniform.

I also took a trip to Kitsap Drivelines with my driveline and Paul's. Mine had the correct yoke, Paul's was was the correct length, bet they were each a different diameter, so moving the yoke from mine to Paul's won't work. The owner, Jerry suggested instead of changing the yoke, just installing a conversion u-joint - much easier and less expensive. I should have the driveline in maybe this weekend.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drivetrain is all together now. I started the car and ran through the gears with the axle supported on jackstands without any problems. I think I'm going to like that 6th gear, 60 mph tach indication is about 1500 rpm. Looks like Dan's speedometer cable mod works like a charm Cool

Road test after I troubleshoot an electrical issue - battery not charging, most likely the battery itself, it's been in the car since I bought it nearly 10 years ago. Car starts with a jump from a charger, but after running for a while, still won't crank. I have an old Yellow Top in the garage I may try temporarily after I make sure it's got a full charge.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gender bender u-joints. Rock on!
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it turnes out to work for you too. I had it made for my 9" so I had no idea how the length would transfer over.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When and if I ever get to put in a 9" rear, I still have that u-joint too.

Test ride today, everything seems in working order, even Dan's speedometer cable mod. No highway ride yet, so haven't made it to 6th gear. I found that I needed to raise the suspension up front about 1.5" so the crossmember won't drag on every little rise in the road.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hasse wrote:
When and if I ever get to put in a 9" rear, I still have that u-joint too.

Test ride today, everything seems in working order, even Dan's speedometer cable mod. No highway ride yet, so haven't made it to 6th gear. I found that I needed to raise the suspension up front about 1.5" so the crossmember won't drag on every little rise in the road.

It'll clearance. Razz
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While driving the car the last couple of days, I've noticed a pronounced rattle coming from the rear. When removing the drive line and torque arm, I found it easier to disconnect the control arms to enable rotating the axle forward. When everything was put back together, I found that I had forgotten to tighten the nuts & bolts on the control arms Embarassed Fortunately the nuts were on far enough to engage the nylocks. Now tightened, the biggest noise from the rear is the squeak of the rubber spring isolators in the upper spring pockets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: