Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody use the Torque app?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Anybody use the Torque app? Reply with quote

I've been using this app for awhile now. Gives you a nice dashboard display of whatever pids you want to look at.

But last couple days I've had it on monitoring my fuel trims because I installed a device to change afr during closed loop at boost pressure. My jeep being a california model likes to stay in closed loop even at 0 vac unless you're over 50% tps. So i'm watching the trims and they richen up like they're supposed to, but while just cruising the bank 2 trims will sometimes just richen up on their own. They also do it all the time at idle. The o2 readings however show maxed rich so it should be leaning things out. My new enrichening device comes with a bypass plug you can install to put things back factory. Does the same with this, so its not the new device.

Here's where i'm wondering about the app. Cause if I hook my tablet to jeep instead of the android app things go back to normal. Also the tablet shows less fuel trim adjustment then the phone app.

Kinda frustrating. Anybody else with any experience with this thing? I didn't seem to have any issues when I was using it to monitor other pids.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility. Since the 2nd bank is the one that seems to get stuck and that one is using the simulated narrow band output of my Innovate wide band.. seems pretty coincidental. I noticed that the narrow band output is factory programmed for 0.1-1.1v output. When the fuel trims get messed up the output is stuck rich at 1.1v Maybe this voltage is just slightly too high for the jeep pcm and it doesn't know what to do with it? This is programmable.. so thinking I should go in and lower that to 1 or even 0.9 Possible?
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's not the app. But think it might be the wideband going over 1v on the narrow band output. I reprogrammed that to be just under 1v max tonight. Give that a try tomorrow.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltage change seems to have cleared up the fuel trim issue.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the torque app a couple times on the bird before the turbo and always thought of it more as a novelty than anything else. Never payed much attention to it since the motor was basically stock. Laughing Although the gps speedo was nice to verify mine with!

Glad the o2 scaling was an easy fix though!

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far seems to be working well. Added an LED last night to tell me when the device starts to richen the mixture. Had to turn it up a bit today, which means I'll probably have to turn down the extra fuel from the 7th injector.

Interesting little device. It will modify the signal of up to 4 narrow bands or 2 wideband o2 sensors. It has a 2.5 bar map built in that you can adjust to switch the enrichening on at any point. There's also a 2nd adjustable input. You can disable the built in map and use up to 2 external sensor sources, invert the sources, use one or the other, or And function of both. It has 2 outputs that can turn on led's or water/meth injection at different points..

Only thing is, I bet you couldnt get on a plane packing one..

chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured out a little trick with this device.

First thing, i've been running it with just the front o2 sensors hooked up. Didn't worry too much about it because it didn't set any codes this way. But sometimes it didn't seem to react very quickly and on long pulls it would slowly drop back to 14.7. So I connected the post cat convertors to the other 2 inputs. Wow, now the jeep wants to go 9:1 and flood out on a long 55mph pull. Some adjustment is necessary. Who would have thought the post cat o2 sensors would make that much difference?

Now my brainstorm. This thing has 2 trigger inputs. Input one can be an external 5v source or hook a couple wires together and it uses the internal map sensor so you can adjust it to come on at a set boost level. I've used 1psi.

2nd trigger is again 5v external source. Both triggers can be run inverted as well, but that isnt needed in this. Up til now I just hooked the 5v power to this input so that it used strictly the internal map for trigger.

My trick.. The Innovate AFR meter is run off a 5v signal. So if I figure out the voltage for the AFR that I want and set the 2nd input trigger to that. Then hook the innovate output to the enricher input... The enricher comes on at 1psi of boost and richens the afr until my set point then disengages. At that point the factor ecm tries to go back to 14.7. If I'm still under boost this will oscillate near my AFR setting.. As long as my enrichment program is fairly close this thing will try to tune itself to a set AFR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: