Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 4x steering.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Ford 4x steering. Reply with quote

First, I apologize for taking up PHP space.

Ford truck guys, I have the 79 4x4 box, I see where it mounts on the frame, and how it fits, and the radiator/frame clearance issue. I'm not full engage, until I got everything done, and good.Do I need the pump as well, I don't know the pulley/pressure rating, so do I need to go with the fox mustang mount and pump? the mid shaft from column to steering box is done. So many questions about conversion and no answers.

Aaron, I know you're pretty sharp on this. I have the pieces for the full box on the frame. Big question is if I can use the existing pump that came factory with the 390? Also to replace the control valve/shaft. Any suggestions?

Brandon, Paul, any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks crew.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you can use the pump as long as you can find/make hoses to connect the 2. The more specific stuff maybe Aaron has answers to.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quasi-Traction wrote:
First, I apologize for taking up PHP space..

It's not like we're doing anything with it. LMAO

I wouldn't run any Ford pump, honestly. They are low pressure (especially at idle when you want line pressure to move those tires!) and noisy as hell.

I did a Saginaw conversion on both my Ford trucks and couldn't be happier. Unfortunately the hot ticket for a Ford-to-Sagy conversion is to rob parts from a van, and Ford never put an FE in a van, so you'll have to build something.

You may have some luck just reusing the bracket off of an SBF or Lima-equipped van. The bracket for my diesel came off of a Windsor. Failing that, I know you're a welder, so I'm sure it would be easy for you to modify the van brackets, or to fab up some brackets like these:

http://www.benchworksteering.com/Ford%20FE%20360%20390%20Power%20Steering%20Pump%20Kit.htm

...or even something fancy with a turnbuckle adjustment like this:

http://www.cvfracing.com/Ford-FE-Power-Steering-Bracket-Saginaw-Pump-p/390-psbrkt-s.htm

For the lines you may get lucky and be able to reuse the van's lines (I reused them both times without issue). If not, having a local hydraulics shop make some up should be quick and economical.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm less concerned with brackets, and more my questions was if having the later 4x4 box with the older pump, was going to make my PS seem like not enough at low rpm and too much at higher rpm. Sounds like it is and its just smarter to ditch the factory pump on there, Go with a Saginaw pump, and have lines made between the later 4x4 ford box, and the Saginaw pump.

I was thinking something like what this guy did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaoAaW8eP0g

or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaoAaW8eP0g
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: