Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New does not always equal good.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: New does not always equal good. Reply with quote

Last couple of years been fighting intermittant misfires/general running crappiness off and on in the 87. Started with a tune up, ngk plugs napa belden race wire which i've had success with before. Then I got rid of all my aftermarket ignition. Then replaced the distributor and coil. First with a used coil then again with a new one. Then had issues with the "new" distributor having a used module and replaced that with a new one. New cap/rotor then a year later new plugs/cap/rotor all over again.

Sometimes it would run really good, then the next time it just felt off. Then last weekend we cruised to Tillamook with Tony and the car would barely run. Every hill started it jerking and even backfiring. Tried passing one vehicle and backfired several times. Something very wrong. Felt like secondary ignition crossfiring to me. Checked the cap looked good. Looked at the wires and see no visible marks or burns anywhere on them. But went with experience and ordered a set of Taylor Thundervolts.

Installed them tonight and got that electric smoothness back! Very Happy Just took her to the top of KM mountain and back cruised right up 70mph not a misfire one. Passed two trucks loaded with hay and it was just awesome again.

Hopefully this isn't an intermittant thing again, but the car was running crappy when I pulled it in the barn and good when I pulled it out. So I think I got it. Will drive it to Longview tomorrow for another test.

Anyway, lesson is cause its new don't eliminate it as a possible issue.

Another lesson might be.. "let her develop" When it finally quits you'll find the real problem.

Funny thing.. even running crappy the ole 327 averaged 20mpg on the Tillamook trip!
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mileage you get with that engine is amazing. I need to learn how to tune all that gas saving stuff with my TBI..
Your still running the CCQ-Jet right? do you burn chips for it?
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.. still CCC. I never figured out how to burn chips for it. Would be nice to figure out though. Right now its running a hypertech chip. Mainly because that chip has a slightly higher mph for the TCC lockup then the stocker.

Pulled another tank right at 20mpg again when I filled last night. This is running top of 60mph.. with 2nd gear tire chirp starts. Laughing If I can get on the freeway and get up to 75-80mph the mpg comes up to the mid 20s. Makes me think I should toss the 3.23 gears and get 3.42-3.73s.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While 95% better I still had a couple misfires last night on my trip to Longview.. Closer inspection tonight I found a crack on the coil tower of my new coil as well. Swapped it for an original used one. Will give this a try on a trip to Astoria tomorrow.
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I read somewhere that you playing with chips for it. it must be dialed pretty well though if it runs well and gets that kind of mileage!
Is any of that in-town?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: