Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

just sayin' Hello again

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pathology knight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: just sayin' Hello again Reply with quote

it's been a LONG time since i've been around, but i'm getting back into the spirit of things. Just wanted to say Hi again to everyone.... Down the hatch
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this. Hi. Cool
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
Good to see you again. Why don't you re-tell us about your car?
pathology knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my car is an '89 T/A GTA. It's got the 5.7liter TPI and 700r4 tranny. It's been converted into a KITT replica, using both '82 parts and '89 parts. Any yes, i'm sure some of you are lowering your head in shame....

I've still got a ways to go with the conversion, but it's coming along. I had a lot of maintainance done on it years ago, but then it sat for years. In a few weeks i'll be taking it in to the shop for new springs/struts (1" lowering kit), some other suspension and riding quality upgrades, a full tune up with new fluids all around, and a good general once over. I want to make sure the car is in great running condition so it'll make it for some car shows around the NW.

Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOA!!

OMG I want to sit in it. That is freaking cool. It looks like a realy detailed conversion, so many of those are exterior only, then you get in and it's just the plain old rally gauges. That looks super clean.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed you kept your Aero GFX. Which rear bumper did you use? do you have a photo from the back? Which tail lights did you use?
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive always wanted to see a kitt conversion in person. I had thought about doing that dash in my vert to see what kinda looks I would get. Laughing
pathology knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i kept the gfx. I liked the looks of them, even though they are "incorrect" to a conversion. I also kept the GTA rear bumper and tail lights. The tail lights have a cover over them, but i don't like it. When the weather gets warmer, i'm going to take the cover off and spray-tint the lights for that blackout look. Probably just hit them with some VHT Nightshade (or something similar) and see how that looks.

I added the '82 fenders with the air vents and had some custom gfx made for that area that falls into the air vent. The '89 gfx are taller then the previous ones (like on an '85) and actually covered up the air vent. From the factory, the '89 fenders didn't have this vent due to the taller gfx.

I've got some tweaking to do to the wiring in the dash, but it's mostly done, except for some cosmetic things i've got to fix. I've got to add a new speed calibration unit to correct my speedometer and reset the odometer for the correct milage. I've got to double-check my tach and other gauges too. All of the factory controls and buttons are integrated into replica buttons and switches. The only factory controls that remain are the rear defrost and the heater controls. Everything from lights, windows, blinkers, cruise control, etc are wired into a KITT button. It's also got push button & remote start.

Other than some small parts & details that need to be taken care of, the interior is all new and was redone in the correct tan with the PMD seats. I would say the conversion is about 90% done.

Next up is some new suspension parts and a good tune up with my tax return! Very Happy

Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those GFX look really good. that is a neat piece. Is there a reason you did not just go with 89 T/A factory GFX and fenders with the smaller air extractor?

I agree about the blackouts, those GTO brand blackout lenses look good on some cars, the later model T/As are not one of them IMHO. Some spray on tint is what is needed. What will you do about the center piece? Will you get a base model firebird one that is flat and spray it as well (to cover up the firebird that is underlayed) or leave the gold bird from the GTA back there?

Did you have to convert to a Camaro center console or did I missee that?
pathology knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GTA gfx are taller and therefore didn't have fenders with the air vents. They did do a shorter gfx and air vents on other years (started in '85 i think) but it wasn't worth changing everything. If i remeber correctly, the gfx and air vent piece was different. The fender was the same, and the air vent hole was the same size, but the gfx and insert piece was different. Since my gfx are factory, i decided to leave them. Plus i also wanted the 82-style air vent.

The blackout doesn't look bad at the corners, but having the 3-piece is a joke. The pieces are connected with 2 vertical pieces of rubber that look terrible IMO. I'll probably just paint the center black like i did on my 2000. Since my lights are the bubble style, it wouldn't make sense to have a flat center section.

My center console is from my old 82 parts car. Everything is pontiac, except for my shifter assembly. That is from a camaro. I used it to convert over to the top-button knob style instead of the T-handle the '89 came with. It was just easier to swap in a camaro one.

Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Pontiac style push button if you are interested (just the knob and button, not the shifter itself)

I did not mean the 82-84 flat one, I meant the 85-90 one without the separate GTA bird that is inset. This would be on the base models and Trans Ams. It has a bird etched in to the back of it, but its surface is smooth, and contoured to match the taillights.

and this one was on our GTAs, the same contour, but with a separate glued in firebird badge. All the tint in the world is not going to cover up that bird.
pathology knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

being that the center doesn't actually light up, i might sand it and tint it (to see how it looks) or just paint the entire thing black like i did on my 4th gen.

send me a pm or something with a pic of the knob you have. i'd like to take a look at it. Wink

Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to dig it out. It's buried somewhere in a box of parts.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally dug out the shift knob. Here are photos.
pathology knight

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm sent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: