Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My '91 Z28
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBL_TKE wrote:
The car will not be an autocross car anymore, at least not competitively ... truth be told it will be a street car that will see a lot of roll racing.

That's an extremely important distinction.

In that case the first idea I would ditch is the transmission. A T56 built to withstand the amount of power you will be making will do nothing but bleed money. You will be regearing the car anyway to get the turbo to spool, so now is the chance to put a high rear gear in it and save yourself four or five thousand dollars in transmission work.

Second is any thought of 60lb injectors. I run 60lbs Deka's on the veesix. You need 80lb minimum.

Don't throw a lot of money into the engine. It doesn't need it to make power.

How is the E85 availability around Portland?
DBL_TKE

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What other 6 speed manual transmission would you suggest then? Theres no way I'll ever put an auto in this car.

And you're right, 60lb injectors will be a bit small. I think when i ran it through an online calculator i inputed RWHP rather than at the flywheel.

I'm not going to be doing anything fancy to the engine. everything will remain stock with the exception of maybe some good valve springs and rockers.

Theres only a couple pumps within 25 miles of me, and they are all out of my way. Though I know several people that just buy drums of it and fill up at their house. But I also plan to go out of state and do a few road trips so I think I'm going to stick to 92 pump gas. I do plan to run water or meth injection though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Twilightoptics wrote:
your bumper will be black.

Except he has an up-pipe in a vert so...

It's pointed at the passenger so what do I care? Very Happy

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't blow a headgasket. LMAO
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBL_TKE wrote:
What other 6 speed manual transmission would you suggest then? Theres no way I'll ever put an auto in this car.

T56 Magnum will hold up but that's going to melt the credit card.

You're looking at a $15K build the way you're headed.
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
DBL_TKE wrote:

T56 Magnum will hold up but that's going to melt the credit card.

You're looking at a $15K build the way you're headed.

Hence the reason why it won't be done next year but I still don't plan to spend anywhere near that much. I'm looking at about $4k for the engine build. Then I just need to factor in the transmission, clutch, hydraulics, swap mounts, and other miscellaneous things but I don't see that nickeling and diming me up another $10k or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axle, clutch and trans are already pushing up towards 10K.

Not even counting the "nickel and dime" stuff.

At the power level you're talking about you will spend 4-6K on the trans alone.

A TH400 can be built to hold that power for 1/4 of that price. You can flip the logs instead of buying a TIG machine. You can run that engine as-is instead of pouring four grand into having it done up.

None of the people in the thread have finished their projects yet, and none of us are even building up to the power numbers you want.

Internet advice is, of course, worth what you paid for it, but think about yourself in ten years deciding whether you should throw money at the "project" car or buy curtains for the wife.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to these guys. They're not just flipping you crap. At 600hp you will break everything and spend way too much building everything bulletproof. I would say almost all of the same things but I don't need to so instead I'll just sit back and watch.

Stick to the old 80/20 rule and use a mostly stock T56 and regeared 9-bolt with a basic cam/head 5.3. You'll get out of the build for $6-8k instead of $20k and still make nearly 400RWHP. Wouldn't that be a fun, attainable goal?

chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or... Just don't let it hook up! But if it does be prepped to replace parts.
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400hp doesn't exactly satisfy me. To me, a C6 corvette is just too slow. I've driven and rode in plenty of cars with that and much, much more power (most using stock transmissions btw) and know that I would get bored with 400hp very quick. C6 z06 power levels would be the minimum I would want. I can get a 600ft/lb rated MN12 for under $3500 and I've found a source for a 700ft/lb T56 magnum for $2900, though I'm still looking into that one to figure out why it's so cheap compared to other vendors. I forgot the source but a friend of mine has an MN12 in his 500hp LS3 RX-7 that he purchased for $3200 through a vendor on one of his forums and im most likely going to go that same route. All three of my friends with the 5.3/S400 engine/turbo setup have done it for around $3k including the engine and every nut, bolt, hose, etc. I'll use my 10 bolt and replace as necessary when it blows up. Eventually I'll get a nice 9" but that would be later on.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably shouldn't test the limits of a c-clip axle at high speed.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone said up above, the 9 bolt would be an ok upgrade for awhile. Easy enough to find and bolts in. I think they don't use c clips either. It won't hold up forever but better then the 10.
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already been on the lookout for a 9 bolt to hold me over, actually. Tried getting one just a couple weeks ago but it had already sold.
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ETS intercooler. 22x12x3.5 with 2.5" inlet/outlets. Thanks to Aaron.
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up a turbo. Nearly half off retail and new in the box. It's a Borg Warner S400SX3 (S471) 71mm 1.10 A/R T4 housing. P/N 177248. I decided against the larger S475 because ultimately I would never use the full potential of that turbo. This one should spool a little better and have better response.

Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: