Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something blew up on Subaru Forester

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Something blew up on Subaru Forester Reply with quote

It's pretty cold here and the Subaru wouldn't start this morning at -18F. Battery is too old and weak. I jump started it and as soon as the engine ran there was a terrible grinding noise from the engine. Sounded like an accessory bearing all gnarled up. Moved the car and found red fluid on the ground where it was parked. Turned off the car and saw more red fluid dripping on the ground and steaming as it hit the cold snow. Then what looked like water started spilling on the ground. I said screw it and left the car there.

So I get home from work and saw something unusual. The clear fluid had flowed down the slope of the driveway and froze in a cord shape. It didn't make a flat puddle. It was standing high off the ground and formed a cylinder going down the driveway.

What's your guess? I'm not looking at it myself. Too damn cold with -40F wind chill. Already spent a couple hours outside today trying to get the car moved and shovel the driveway.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the Crew's noted Subaru apologist, I have to say I have no idea. Red fluid obviously sounds like ATF, but I'm having some trouble parsing your description of the the way the clear fluid froze.

Regardless, if there's two kinds of fluid coming out then something (or 2 somethings) are seriously broken.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I have a theory. This might be one of those things where you can't figure it out until you ask the question. Laughing

I suspect red fluid is power steering fluid. Location of horrible noise coincides with location of power steering pump.

As for all the clear fluid..... I had to bust through a snow wall at the end of the driveway and the car left a flat spot on the ridge from dragging bottom the whole way. Suspect the clear fluid is snow that packed up in the engine bay and melted from exhaust heat after car shut down. Odd shape of frozen water is probably phenomenon of what happens when water freezes fast in really cold weather on really cold cement.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, clear and frozen generally would mean water in the context of vehicle fluids; that theory seems sound.

I also concur on the PS fluid given your description of the sound and location.

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Something blew up on Subaru Forester Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
-18F

QwkTrip wrote:
-40F wind chill

I don't think that whatever may be wrong with the car is your true problem.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started it up today and now it runs fine. Not going to question why. Just going to sell it real quick!
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Subaru is obviously confused and thinks it is a Jeep.

I would take advantage of this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: