Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LS1 fule pump question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: LS1 fule pump question Reply with quote

Team,
I know I want to go LSx in the GTA at some point. I have to drop the tank in the GTA as I suspect the fuel pump may be failing intermittently. I figured while I am in there I might as well get the tank set up for a future LS1 swap. I have read the big thread on TGO and it talks allot about swapping in a 4th gen tank.. but I know some of you have gone with out-of-tank Walbro pumps. I have a 90+ baffled tank with a soldered fuel neck (to prevent leakage there) that I will be putting in, unless the 4th gen tank is better. So... what do I do?

Thanks for the advice.

Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drop a Walbro 255 into your existing tank. It will work perfectly. The 4thgen tank is a lot of hassle for little benefit.

For fuel pressure regulation, use the Corvette filter/regulator combo.
Here's a bit of help on TGO but they make it a little more expensive than it needs to be. The basic idea is sound however.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ltx-lsx/616895-fuel-system-help-ls.html

I can go into more detail if and when the time comes for you, but the basic gist of the matter is that you can use the stock tank on a swap with no problem and no need to drop the tank during the swap.

Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not understand most of that thread. If I am keeping my L98 (which I am for now) do i need this corvette filter?

Which walbro pump do I buy? Do you have a part number? I would like to do this on Saturday.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what I want?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpn-gca758-2/overview/
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The walbro pump will work fine with your l98. L98 has the regulator on the motor. When you switch to ls1 there is no longer a fuel pressure regulator on the motor. This is when you add the corvette filter. The regulator is built into the filter. The return line only goes as far as the filter after that, not all the way to the motor.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran my LS motor for quite awhile on a walbro 255 in the stock tank. I needed to replace my tank so I "upgraded" to the 4thgen plastic tank. Although I really was going for the racetronix pump that was MUCH quieter. I never realized the walbro was so noisy until I heard something else! Laughing

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
Although I really was going for the racetronix pump that was MUCH quieter. I never realized the walbro was so noisy until I heard something else! Laughing

Ain't that the truth. Those things are whiny!
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys a whiny. I barely heard my walbro prime let alone when the motor was on.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
The walbro pump will work fine with your l98. L98 has the regulator on the motor. When you switch to ls1 there is no longer a fuel pressure regulator on the motor. This is when you add the corvette filter. The regulator is built into the filter. The return line only goes as far as the filter after that, not all the way to the motor.

This.

Keep everything completely stock and buy the Walbro 255 drop-in that you linked from Summit. As long as you have the L98 this is all you have to do.

When you do an LS1 swap, the Corvette filter/regulator combo will regulate the pressure for your engine. The return line comes from the filter in this scenario, not from the fuel rail like the L98. Almost all LS1 engines do not have a regulator or return fuel line on the engine.

My Walbro is loud, I can hear it prime very clearly and hear it at idle. For about the first month it was dead quiet, then one day I turned my car on and it was incredibly loud. I also had a Walbro 255 in a Subaru and it was as quiet as the stock pump. Quality control varies a lot over at Walbro I think. Smile

Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly,
I would prefer loud. I like the security of hearing it. If I ever decide I don't like it i'll add some insulation under the carpet. Thanks guys, I'm going to order this now.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,
It's on it's way. It should arrive Thursday or Friday. Smile
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the tanks out of both cars and have the V6 all buttoned back up. I think I broke something... I put the fuel that leaked into a bucket that had about an inch of oil and coolant in the bottom, than when I was all done I was like... "well, it's only a little bit.. that tank holds 14 gallons, it will dilude" so I poured it in. Now the engine is running a little funny. It was fine for a few miles, once I filled up it starting running like crap.

The Walbro is on the GTA's new tank (the one that came from the V6 car, and a 92 IROC before that.) but I have not yet put it back in the car.

When I took apart the V6 car I decided rather than screwing with the entire catback, and trying to get it off the car I would just sawzall the exhaust in half right before it went over the axle. Car sounds AWESOME now. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: