Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Valvetrain tick...need i be scared?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Valvetrain tick...need i be scared? Reply with quote

So I've touched on this with Aaron, my lifters on the passenger side are noisier than hell. I've adjusted the rocker arms using the eoic method, and the engine running method. When the car is cold and I start it...nada, no sound. When the engine warms up the tick is fairly loud. I'm pretty positive its not supposed to do this. To describe the sound its similarto the tick of a shotty throwout bearing, its not a metal on metal clack....but more...hollow...I guess? and its very apparent between shifts when my rpms are dropping. Checked the throwout btw, definitely not it. Its coming from the valve cover area. My only though is its gotta be the lifters.... I want clear backup to that before I drop money on lifters and rip my intake back off.

Helpful info anyone?

I noticed the passenger side didn't have even flow of the oil when the rocker arms were moving, is that a sign of lifter collapse? They all had oil, some just more than others [/list]

BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody?
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of weird to have problems only on one side with lifters. How does your header gasket look? Exhaust leaks often sound like a tick.

'88 FORMULA
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm in the car it seems to be more to the passenger side, could just be sound tricks though. Exhaust gaskets are good, the tick would go away when I left off the throttle if it were exhaust too, which it doesbt, the noise is most noticeable when my rpms are coming down
DBL_TKE

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard a throw out bearing tick, Only squeak?
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive heard them make a hollow tapping sound beofre, its the only thing I could compare it to. What ibwant to know is if there is a way to test the lifters to verify they're toast or is it just gonna be a do it and hope I'm right kind of deal?
DBL_TKE

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can open and close the oil fill cap to see if you hear a dramatic increase in noise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It increased a bit but a majority of the noise is on the passenger side. I called my friend who I recieved the motor from and he said he had trouble with the lifters ticking a bit so I'm just gonna pull the trigger on it and hope for the best
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a roller motor or just hydraulic flat tappet? Kinda sucks to bad he didn't tell you that before hand... who knows if the cam is flat or something. How does it run?
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify this, I got the block from him and the crank, had them worked and assembled, he gave me various spare parts which greatly reduced my bill lol its a full roller, I bought an lt1 cam and put it in. I'm not too terribly upset about it because they weren't something I paid for lol it never even occured to me where they came from they were in the block when I dropped it off to bowtie to be worked. I called him up and he remembered that he pulled them from his 87 for the ticking. I have new Delphi ones on order and I threw some oil stabalizer in there to quiet them down until the new ones show up
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have been nice if he had told you that when he gave them to you. Rather than finding out later, you could have had the option of replacing them to begin with.
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true lol lesson learned
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as an update to the situation....

New lifters: check
Removed broken stud: check
New pushrods : Unfortunate check

I tore into the motor the other night and got the new lifters in along with new pushrods because low and behold the broken stud incident bent my pushrod, so i replaced them all lol I soaked the lifters in a oil/zinc bath for a few hours while i was getting everything apart, bought a bolt extractor set and it worked flawlessly on that broken stud, then i loctited a new one in its place. So at this point i can honestly say i reworked the top end of a motor with less than 2k miles on it.... Very Happy

The ticking is gone....ish? Its different now, im assuming the loud tick i head was a combination of the shotty lifters and the bent pushrod. Now im hearing a tick on acceleration which im hoping is just my exhaust, the headers are good and tight but i need to take a second look at the collector donuts and the cat connection. Ideally i want to get someone else to see/hear this thing because at this point im feeling insane. Drivability definitely improved with the lifters/pushrods being swapped, it was kinda sluggish at first before but now it just goes, out of my crazy fear though i dont want to attempt to beat on it and have another large failure. I need a second set of eyes/ears to either confirm or disprove my fears lol

And on a seperate yet related note i scored a set of zq8 rims in great condition with baldish tires for $175 Laughing i have 2 on right now i have to file down the hub opening a hair on the other 2 because around 2000 the s10's had a slightly smaller hub setup, nothing major. Alot of people dont like them but i hated my RS rims, its different yet it fits....and i got 4 rims with tires for a quarter of what most people pay for a single rim so needless to say im pretty stoked on that

91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on which zq8's, that is what I wanted to put on tell I got the crosslaces' off someone on here.

Good job on fixing the valvetrain. If its only ticking on revup, I would suspect exhaust, esp if you have headers. I have yet to own a set of headers that didnt tick or come loose, or have some type of issue.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good gasket with Hedmans and never ever had a problem.
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said second set of eyes lol they're the "newer" ones, deeper dish with the straight 5 spokes, I noticed the noise gets quicker when I shift and under load, at idle all I can hear is the injectors, ill have to look it over, its possible my welded air tubes have a hole, the guy who did it said to bring it by if a leak develops
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is a video from inside while driving, its hard to hear with the freaks of the body but if you concentrate its there, under consistent load above a certain rpm its unnoticeable, and at a slightly lower rpm at consistent throttle you can hear it get faster then slower then faster, and towards the end when I down shift you can hear it clear as day, we used a stethoscope today and all the rocker arms sound consistent so I'm at a loss
Here's the link let me know what you think

BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn phone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HsOqnEGock&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: