Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto X

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisB

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Auto X Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone knows about local Auto X events? I'm sure the summertime is more plentiful for such activities. I have always been into drag racing in the past. (Raced a 10.50 class for a long time). With the new Z already having some suspension work done, and the fact that it will be a while before I can do a motor swap to upgrade on the LB9, I figure that Auto X would probably be alot of fun with this car.

I would like to finish the suspension (Sub frames, stb, lower it about an 1" etc). Anyone else do Auto X with their third gens?

Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet but I would like to, so maybe we should go out and do some this summer. Smile
http://www.wwscc.org/
http://www.nwr-scca.org/
http://www.vcmc.ca/forum/

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis (blue89) and Isaac (Red Bird) are the two autocross regulars on here.

I've been allegedly building a cornering car for almost three years now, maybe I'll get it to a track sometime this decade. Surprised
AMAXRX

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really strongly recommend the SCCA Events at Packwood washington. Best venue on the west coast.

http://www.oregonscca.com/content/view/1286/288/

Scheduling can be found here. I intend to attend all of these events this season.

RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen Travis on here in a while, but yeah, he was hardcore into it. His car was very competitive too, well before he put the 454 in it at least!
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live far away, but I dabbled in it a few times. Last time I ran it I still had a pegleg axle and it caused issues.
20ft Longhorn Car Hauler
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I autocrossed my Camaro last year. Read the rules, first and foremost. They are very strict about what you are allowed to do to the car. I competed in STU with the Oregon region SCCA. make sure you get the best tires you can for your class. They are the most important thing in autocross.
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AMAXRX

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Good Advice.

DBL are you running LCARB's? How much drop in ride height with the weight jacks?

DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have LCARB's now. I don't believe they're legal for STU though, I'll need to reread the rulebook. I ran 1 event when I was lowered 4" under stock height but that wasn't allowing enough strut and shock travel. So for the remainder of the season I would raise it up 2" for the events to a 26" fender height. I ran with -1.6* camber which really helped initial turn in. The car ran pretty well, though I kept falling in 2nd after this one guy with an Evo X. I was hoping to be running different tires this season but it's not in the budget right now. My main drawback was that I was having a lot of oversteer when trying to apply power out of turns. This was hugely due to my 2 rear tires being a lot older and seasoned than my fronts. It was also due to being lowered so much which reduced antisquat, and thirdly due to 800/200 springs which is a little too stiff in the rear compared to the fronts. This year I rotated the front tires to the rear and got some new tires for the front so now I'm running 275/40/17 front and 285/40/17. The stagger helped a little to keep the rear in check during steady state turns but it's essentially a band aid for the mismatched front/rear springs. But the LCARB's really help keep traction while powering out of turns so I think it'll really help reduce my lap times. The first events are on the 2nd/3rd of March at PIR's North Paddock, are coming down for those?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ AMAXRX: Never mind, Laughing I see that you've already preregistered. See you there. BTW, why are you running in ESP instead of STX?
AMAXRX

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I really should have read the ST rules sooner. Did not realize that you could run SFC's in ST now. In both ST and SP rules, it states that you cannot relocate the lower arms on a solid axle suspension. Think that means you will be in SM? Dont quote me on that though, im not an expert.

A big reason that I need to run ESP as opposed to STX is the fact that in ESP you can add any stock part from any thirdgen. My car has the 3.08 rear end currently, and I could not change that in STX. I will be buying a 3.42 unit with a torsen from a 4th gen once my tax refund comes in. I also plan to eventually swap out to an L98, but probably not this year...

AMAXRX

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only they had that allowance... I suppose I could pretend I had a G92 car, and then change LSD on that allowance, but that is technically "cheating" I believe.

Edit:

I suppose I could completely convert to a G92 car, which would make it allowed by stock class rules, I can get away with having a different exhaust by ST rules, but would need to get rear discs and an engine oil cooler. Drums can be changed to disc's but not vice versa.

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to butt in on a topic on which I am no expert, but are the tech inspectors smart enough to jack up the rear, spin the axles, then check the RPO code sticker (if it is even still attached)?

If my assumption is correct and they're not that far ahead of it then I think you should make like Bill Belichick and cheat to win. Cool
AMAXRX

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is, I dont even have my RPO sticker. There really wouldn't be any way to prove it either way. I just prefer being honest.
AMAXRX

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/history-originality/570311-1991-z28-b2l-g92.html

Apparently G92's in 1991 did occasionally come with rear drums still.

I don't think the lack of an oil cooler is going to be an issue... and the differences in exhaust can be accounted for in the ST rules.

I think I might be able to pull this off legally.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: