Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me with the choke

View previous topic :: View next topic  
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Help me with the choke Reply with quote

Ok, so I have an edelbrock 2101 intake, and holley 6772 carb, and a 1/2" phenolic spacer.

I need a choke for this thing. I messaged holley themselfs and asked about an electric one. They said they dont make an electric choke for it cause its a divorced linkage. Confused

I kept pecking around, and as far as I can tell that just means the choke isnt part of the carb. More the intake Confused

So, is edelbrock "1931" the choke I need, then make my own link rod since I have the 1/2" spacer?

Another thing, It appears this carb was a direct replacement for the quadjet 4mv? If thats the case, why cant I use a "stock replacement" electric choke for the 4mv? It appears there are some that mount down on the intake.

20ft Longhorn Car Hauler
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised you need a choke. That's probably a function of the carb being jetted lean though. Most holleys you only need to pump it a few times to get them started then keep it running for the first minute and you're good to go.

Being a qjet replacement it is supposed to use the stock divorced choke. However the combination of the holley and the edelbrock intake is going to screw you. Most often things are just different enough to not work right.

Hate to say it. But the best idea I see is Aarons manual choke idea. I don't like it, but you've got apples, oranges, and avacodos here. Divorced chokes don't work well without having the stock exhaust manifold and heat riser valve installed. They do make an electric one, i've got one somewhere.. its a cludge. Works ok stock, but I tried to do what you're doing and it didnt work at all.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it takes about 6 trys on the key, and about 15 pumps, plus keeping your foot in it. Then you have to wait tell its about 160deg engine temp before it even THINKS about moving on its own power or stalls out. Once its above 160, it runs fairly well.

Ive read you "supposibly" cant even put a manual choke on these. But I found a thread where a guy said he did, but no pics or explinations.

I have to have a choke, or its all getting yanked out and something else put in.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual choke you just need a bracket to hold the cable housing and then a lever with a hole in it on the choke that works at the right angle. Shouldnt be too hard to rig up. Most cable kits come with universal bracketry.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
I'm surprised you need a choke. That's probably a function of the carb being jetted lean though.

Yup yup

Should not take more than two pumps to start unless the weather is bone cold.

Holley sells a kit for manual choke on the 4150/60. I do not know if it would work on a spreadbore, but as B said it shouldn't be too hard to fab what you need.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local place had the 1931 kit in stock Surprised

picked it up. I had to bfh the cover to make it fit, but it did. Got some brass rod and started bending it using the rod in the kit as a template. I think I can make this work.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have stock exhaust manifolds and a heat riser valve? If not then that won't quite work right.

The heat riser valve blocks off the exhaust coming out of one engine bank diverting it up through the intake manifold to the other side. That is what heats up that choke coil. Without it your choke is going to stay on longer then intended.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have vette manifolds
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing to consider when trying to run the factory choke stove: some aftermarket intake gasket sets do not have the proper port for the exhaust crossover, it is just blanked out.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the more I deal with this bs, the more I wish I would have left it off and went injected. Mad

I likely used gasket set ms90314-2
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That gasket appears to have the exhaust port in it.

The heat riser plate for a 'Vette should be readily available.

Running a Holley on a smallblock Chevy isn't that big of a deal. People have been doing it since the 50's. Laughing
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not going to be happy with this carb ever.. If he can install efi so cheap he probably oughta just do it.
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple of double pumper holleys like this one, but why won't that choke and choke horn work in the picture? Can you convert it to electric choke?

Mine was a little under jetted but a couple of pumps and a little baby sitting got it idling by itself in about 5 minutes. And thats with no choke at all.

89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what a choke horn is........ you've been over seas to much and are talking forgin languages Laughing

I have not found a guaranteed electric choke that will work on this.

After all that pumping and cranking, it will idle. But if you touch the gas to move it before it reaches about 160deg, it stalls. Then you have to pump n crank all over again.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your idle mixture is too lean. And likely idle is too low. That motor id be looking for about 750 in gear. Get a tach.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I need a tach. I feel it may still be a bit lean as well. I still dont have the right fuel pressure regulator on it(have it, just not on it yet). Ive been looking around for portible af gauges. Holy crap that stuff is expensive.

Its getting pulled out this weekend and put on hold a few weeks while I finally fix the camaro. Transmission, steering wheel, new battery, possibly drivers door hinge AGAIN.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we put the hood on it tonight, then messed with the choke.

Ended up having to re-bend the link rod I made which is no suprise since I was guessing it. But we got it to choke n start decent. Kicked up to fast idle. Even around 100deg I was was able to stomp the gas and no stall. Kicked off of fast idle around 140'ish, but the blade was still tipped closed a little bit.

Its pulled outside now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: