Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New PR at the drag strip

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBL_TKE

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: New PR at the drag strip Reply with quote

So after hearing that Derek's got his engine running better and running against my friends '05 Legacy GT I started getting the itch to see what my car could really do on the 1/4 mile.

So this weekend I borrowed a pair of 26x8.5x15 Mickey Thompson ET drags from a member on LS1tech. When I had talked to him he had told me they were drag radials. I was looking for DR's because they are a little more forgiving and I don't need to run a driveshaft loop with them. But after driving out to McMinnville I wasn't going to complain.

On the way out there I weighed my car on a scale, 3550lbs on a full tank of gas. Without me that would be 3400lbs. So I went straight to my shop and took out my passenger seat (39lbs), my sub box (46lbs), and installed the wheels which were 13lbs lighter each than my SS wheels. So overall I took out 111lbs which brought my car down to just under 3300lbs.

I also finally installed my Founders lower control arm relocation brackets, and set my front struts to full soft. I bumped up my base timing from 6* to 11* then I figured I should check and adjust my fuel pressure. When I dyno'd my car back in the spring I noticed that my car ran just a tad lean. I never felt the need to really change anything but since I was adding soo much timing I figured I should probably bump up my fuel pressure to be safe. Well, it turned out that my FP at idle was at 36psi with the vacuum line to the FPR unhooked. Shocked stock is supposed to be 46psi. And what is really shocking is that I had set my fuel pressure to 48 psi over the winter. So somehow, my FPR mysteriously dropped 12psi over the last year. Anyway I ended up setting it to 50psi.

I was able to convince Derek and another coworker of my to come out for some racing as well. After seeing them make some pretty good runs I was anxious myself. I ended up only making 2 clean runs. I didnt feel like making too many passes as I didn't to risk breaking anything. Running slicks with a stock T5, stock torque arm, and stock rear end is just asking for disaster. My best time is as follows:

60': 2.18
1/8: 9.133 @ 71mph
1/4: 14.214 @ 98.76mph

I am extremely happy with this time. Now of course I am still disappointed with my 60' time, I was hoping to at least get a 1.9 but I was afraid to launch to hard. That means I'm still leaving a good bit of ET left on the table. I was honestly trying to hit a 13.99 and I bet if I can launch this thing better it just might get there. I was pretty shocked at how much ET and MPH I picked up. I shaved over a second off my previous time and gained 6mph and all I did was install some Dyno Don headers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. Is this still with tweaked frame?!
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep launching hard, it will work itself out. Wink
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep how often does everyone in your group set a PR?? Lol the 'bird ran a 14.7 @ 94 and I have some excusses too! Believe it or not Laughing

'88 FORMULA
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats guys! Sounds like fun.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Well done. Is this still with tweaked frame?!

Yes, it's going to be awhile before I can come up with the money to fix it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Just knocking on the door to 13s.

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
Nice job! Just knocking on the door to 13s.

Yeah, I think I could hit 13's if I got a little braver and launched harder. A 2.1 60' with slicks is kind of pathetic. I was hoping for at least a 1.9.
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of encouraged to see how fast I can get this thing. I may find some vortecs and put that Ramjet on and see what it can do. On the other hand I know I'm going to do an LS build in the future so idk if I want to waste my time or money on this 305.
RK82

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a PB last friday

60': 2.09
1/8: 9.81 @ 71.14 mph
1/4: 15.35 @ 88.65 mph
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it Dewey that still holds the fastest time with a 305?
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiveoformula wrote:

Juiced, I probably do. Skyler's new PR is down there with mine, I ran a 14.1 N/A, and 13.3 on the spray.

--John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
fiveoformula wrote:

Juiced, I probably do. Skyler's new PR is down there with mine, I ran a 14.1 N/A, and 13.3 on the spray.

--John

How much are you spraying?
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 160shot in, but I made the same power on the dyno as when I had a 100 shot in. I am pretty sure that at this point my motor is SO worn out, that it just blows any more past the rings. So, figure it as a 100 shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: