Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

truck opinions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchaussee wrote:
Ya. I will do fuel filter also. What other maintenance issues should beaddressed. Unfortunately my uncle did not keep up on things as he should. He buys a new truck every six or so years, so he doesnt care to much to bother with matianance.

There isn't a lot of maintenance to do on a 7.3L. Clean oil, clean air, and clean fuel. That's about it. Oil will keep getting forced into air cleaner so the air cleaner will get nasty oily and then everything will stick to the oil. Check the air cleaner every few months. There are problems that will occur on an engine with that many miles. Some common things are,

- The injector harness is probably brittle and can break. The harness is under valve covers.
- The EBP (exhaust back pressure) sensor and tube might be clogged up with soot. Engine will run better if it is clean.
- The exhaust up-pipes to the turbo are probably leaking, like almost every 7.3L. Effects turbo spool up and performance. Most people don't even realize the up-pipe is leaking.
- The turbo wheel blades are probably worn out from years of particles hitting the blades. A new blade might perk up low RPM performance. "Wicked Wheel" is commonly used.
- Intercooler fills up with oil. Take out the intercooler to drain it and you might be shocked how much oil comes out. Power will go up when the intercooler can actually do its job.
- CPS sensor might fail at any moment and engine will immediately quit running. Always keep a spare in the glove box.
- Quite a bit of air gets into the fuel system from the fuel tank. Some people like to do a fuel tank mod to reduce air in fuel. That will quiet down the engine a bit and might run a tad smoother.

I wouldn't run a tuner chip with that engine unless you do a mild economy tune from DP Tuner. A chip needs exhaust, intake, and exhaust temp gauge or you risk overheating and ruining the engine. And a 7.3L can't really make much power on a stock turbo anyway. Just leave it stock. If you want to hot rod a diesel then get a Chevy or Dodge.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

86 bucks for supplies for oil change. Wow
Kage87Z

1969 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I own a 99 F350 Powerstroke dually for the last 3 years or so... it's got around 88K.

The following problems are/were present.

Shifter cable housing broke at the transmission end.
Shifter bushings wore out on the column.

Water comes up to the dash board from underneath the windshield on the passenger side.

My speedometer stops working in warm to hot weather. The ABS light/brake lights on the dash come on and the "overdrive" light on the shifter handle blinks.

I have no idea outside the dealer where to take it to get it looked at for that.

Those things can happen all at once, individually, or not at all. It's completely random and to date has made no discernible difference as to how the truck runs.

I use it to make trash runs every now and then and to tow my trailer/car to PIR.

I paid 12.5 for it with a clean carfax.

For a truck, the interior is fine. We put in a stock ford radio/CD combo that bolted right up and works fine. The seats are comfortable enough for me and the wife.

That said, I'd recommend it to others... but my next truck is likely to be a Dodge diesel.

Todd Beamer - 9/11
Never Forget

My 69's story: http://myspace.com/69camaro454

My 87 Z/28's tale of woah... http://myspace.com/87Zcamaro383
jchaussee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't plan to ad chip because I have realized that the 7.3 is made to tow, not hotrod. It is a pig off the line. But as far as this up pipe, can you explain where its at and what to do to check it and fix it, also this tank mod. Link of it maybe?
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The up-pipe is the piece of exhaust pipe located between the cast iron exhaust manifold and the turbocharger. There is an up-pipe on both sides of the engine. The pipe loses seal at the joint and/or cracks. The fix is to replace it with a flexible bellows style pipe from the 7.3L engine used in International farm tractors. You have to buy it from an International parts dealer. It is an expensive and labor intensive fix so you probably don't want to do it unless it is causing real problems.

Fuel tank mod http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/hutch.php

If you're going to own a Superduty then you will want to join the forums at www.fordtrucks.com Many of the Superduty owners are pretty smart and know their trucks. Most the F150 owners are dumb as rocks. Interesting contrast.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on a forum called powerstroke nation, bit it is not that active. Not like thirdgen.org or this one. Asked a question over a week ago and still waiting for help.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I did find that guzzle guy. Also used it to figure out about fuel filter.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone local know how to cha.he ball joints. I may need some help
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rent a ball joint press.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup yup

Kroil and a MAP gas torch can help get stubborn old ones out.

A bit of a job on that truck as you need to disassemble the entire hub and remove both front shafts IIRC.

*Edit: I just skimmed this but it looks correct:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/354091-how-to-replace-your-super-duty-ball-joints.html
jchaussee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw on wheeler dealers where ed used a picece of all thread with a washer and a nut. Anybody ever try that method
jchaussee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look to bad. From other threads I read guys were willing to pay 700 to have it done. Thought was way worse.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchaussee wrote:
a picece of all thread with a washer and a nut

To do what? Confused

This is the tool and technique in question:

BTW, you will also need a special socket to remove the axle nut. The size and style (pin, hex, ect.) varies from year and model.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya. I remember that from omy old Chevy. Hub removal tool?
jchaussee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The althred worked same way ad press. As you tightened nut it pressed bushing out
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Still not sure how you'd get the first one out with the all-thread. Second one I can see.

Free rental beats Tacoma Screw acme all thread regardless. Wink

Please do not underestimate this job. It looks easy on paper but bear in mind that something like "remove balljoint nuts, then remove knuckle" can take an hour, especially for a shade-tree guy.

The last time I did one of these I seem to remember the guy paying like four or five hundred for it.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I am not underestimating time frame. It will prob take me a weekend off and on , but the skill level doesn't seem to be as complicated as some were making it. I have done ball joints and hubs on different vehicles in the past. But the older I get, the more anal I also get about how it is done.
IROCDave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, there's alot of super duty love flowing on this thread. Then the " things to watch out for and fix" posts. Man I find that funny. I have 155K on my 03 duramax, havent had to fix any of the issues that Fords best Deisel engine has as common problems. I'm knocking on wood as injectors are the weak link on early Dmaxes and they arent cheap to replace. Other than fluid changes the only thing I have had to replace on my truck were both front hubs. GM used the same hub / front wheel bearing for all HD's. Under engineered.

I would take a 01- ? Dmax over any same year Superduty. Superduty has been living on reputation since the late 90's hence the sales errosion ever since.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injectors in a dirtymax fail from contaminates. Change fuel filter everytime oil is changed and use quality fuel.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss has an '06 D-max 4wd and just had two injectors changed out at just under 90k miles. He does his fuel filter every other oil change and changes his oil about every 5k. So far I've done both front hubs on his truck too. And rear axle seals. He had a 4wd range switch go out too, fixed at the dealer. Aside from that he says it has been very reliable.

Between GM, Dodge and Ford I'd go D-Max any day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: