Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake build thread.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Brake build thread. Reply with quote

1st up, a follow up to a discussion that Alhasse, Brandon, and a few others were party to at dyno. Turns out everybody was right. Laughing

The topic I raised was "can I put my 89+ PBR disc brakes on my 10-bolt drum rear end"

The answer is yes, and there is an easy way and a hard way. The hard way can be seen here. http://www.thirdgen.org/ls1reardisc different brakes, but the same method applies.

The easy way is here. http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/brake-board/423270-hassle-free-drum-rear.html?ref=esp-link you do have to buy this http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i30.html

Thought I would give everyone some closer on that.

Next, I am feeling motivated, and have decided to get off my ass, and put my LS1 front brakes on. These things have been sitting in my garage for almost 4 years, they were assembled when i moved into my house, and have still not left the garage.

Paul helped me modify (meaning, he did most of the work) some junkyard spindles, and even sandblasted them for me years ago. in the intervening years, a small bit of surface rust had developed on one of them, so I sanded that off and primed them tonight. I will throw a few coats of semi-gloss black on them tomorrow.

I will also re-research what is needed for this swap, as I have forgotten almost everything I one researched. I will also spend some time tomorrow taking stock of what parts i have, and see if there is anything else I need to acquire before bolting these suckers on and driving.
nonsensekid20

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, say I wanted to go the easy way, but with LS brakes. Will those brackets still work? And what to do with the fronts?
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm busy next weekend, but if you need a hand, I'd love to pitch in. I wanna see the build up on these.

I'm seriously on the fence right now about an 86 IROC that a muffler shop had for sale, or buying up Skyler's old 85 Z/28.

If I don't go that route, its still fun to collect knowledge and help a friend out.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonsensekid20 wrote:
So, say I wanted to go the easy way, but with LS brakes. Will those brackets still work? And what to do with the fronts?

Fronts is a longer post. There is a bunch of info on TGO, i'll be looking it all up over the next few days, and i'll post links here for you.

as for the rears, i don't know anything about the LS1 rear brakes, but this is the site where i found the hassle free bracket. I do not think the brackets would work, as the rotor size will be different. http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/c1_p1.html
The sight is run by ed Miller (EBMILLER on TGO) who is the authority on brake upgrades for fbodys you can allways PM him over there and ask, or search on TGO.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have read on tgo, ed is MIA and so it may be better to source the brackets elsewhere if one needs them ib a realitivly short time.
alloy
T56 Elitist

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done many the "hard" way, and it isn't hard at all. A sawzsall makes quick work of the flange, and a sharp drill bit for the holes. Takes about an hour to mod the flange. The hardest part was making up the new flared brake lines and the new braided flex lines.

www.t5cablespeedometer.com
www.t56cablespeedometer.com

Ronald Reagan: "Most of us wonder if our lives made any difference. Marines don't have that problem."
redlava

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the front brakes make sure you get the front 1le brake hoses. Even though people say the stock ones are long enough, they pull a little to tightly for my taste.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a set of braided steel 1LE brake lines. Smile
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, here are the instructions for building the LS1 brake kit.
http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=329

all of this information was compiled from this, the mother fo all TGO threads.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/faq-board/183169-98-camaro-ls1-brakes.html

Have fun!
Twigger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far keep the pictures coming!
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i finished painting my modified spindles. about 3 coats of gloss black.

I mounted the caliper carrier brackets to the spindles, and everything went fine. Per the article I linked before I tightened these bolts to 83 foot pounds with Loc-tight.

Things went a little awry when i mounted the caliper carriers to the caliper carrier brackets. They were not true. one side was closer (actually scraping) the rotor, while the other side was even. both sides need to be centered on the brake rotor in order to maintain even braking pressure and even pad wear. I will need to procure some spacers in order to properly mount the caliper carrier over the rotor. standard washers are too thick.

I had hoped to have this done on Sunday, all of this will depend on being able to locate the spacers I need.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take a caliper to your carrier and messure it. When I originally did the C4 swap, the carriers were had large variations in them, so even with the bracket true, the carrier wasn't.

That being said.... if your carrier is not making contact with the rotor, you are probably alright. The floating caliper will center itself, then the hydrolic pressure moves it, you'll be alright on pad wear and braking so long as your rotor isn't contacting the carrier.

You may be able to just pick up another carrier and solve the issue, my guess is that is the case, and not the brackets being untrue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, the LS brakes fit under crosslace wheels?

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Ed Miller, they do. But you need a spacer between the wheel and the hub.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/posts/brake-board/278821-brake-upgrades-wheel-fitment/2189344-post4.html

Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that the clearance without the spacer is the width of a playing card, and that the spacers (that I do have) are just for peace of mind.

I'll fit up the other carrier tonight and see if they are both off by the same amount or what. if one is fine and the other is warped i'll pick up a replacement. If they are both tweaked i'll see about spacers (the one does hit the rotor)

I did not know the caliper "floated" in the carrier enough to "self align", that is great news. thanks for that information.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No John is a little off. He had terrible pad wear. The caliper floats in and out, side loading will break the slides or at very least the pads will wear unevenly.

You need to install the caliper on the carrier itself and recheck and check BOTH sides. Put new pads on and see how the gaps are.

Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine had wear because we machined down the carrier, and it wasn't square. so I wore the pads with a funny taper. If the carrier is squar to the rotor, but slightly offset the caliper will just be possed just slightly off center on the pins, not big deal there is ample room along the slide pins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whiskeychick

1987 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just in case I have the ls1 rear brakes on my gta. they fit under the lace wheels, it is just very tight. I had to make mine work for the 9 bolt, so can't help with specifics.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't recall that the carriers were milled?
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, when Dan and I first installed them, the carrier rit the rotor, so we trimmed it to fit, which after the fact proved to be out of square and that is why the pads wore with that funny taper on them. You notice it didn't just wear one pad faster than the other, it wore a funny taper into both pads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: