Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1LE Resto time!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlie6178

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooo I couldn't help myself. I went out and bought that ZF6 6 speed lol he gave me the gear box, clutch, master, slave, line, shifter, bell housing, boots, etc.. I got the whole setup for $500. I figured it was a good deal. Then not 5 hours later I get a call from a buddy who found an LT1 T56 forumla firebird that had been rolled for $700! So last night I went and bought that T56 outta the rolled car for $450 and it has a B&M ripper on it! I grabbed the bellhousing and clutch too. So I'm totally debating which trans to put in the car, and which one to stash in the corner of my shop lol I'll post pics pater today.
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good score!!!!
89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
charlie6178

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sending both of them out to a friend of mine who has a transmission shop, to have him go through both of them. i still havent decided which one i'm going to use. i still need a pedal assembly. but i snagged the aluminum driveline out of the T56 car while i was in there. i think the ZF would be more of a cool factor, but i know the T56 will be basically plug and play. we shall see! the car is still in bodyshop stage at this point. i'm not going to any sort of trans swap other than gathering all of my parts until i have the car back and the paint and exterior is FINISHED!

my dad says i'm a hoarder hahaha i already have 2 other LS1 T56's sitting under my workbench. now, i just added 2 more 6 speeds to the pile!

charlie6178

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my ADHD continues. i couldn't wait, so i bought a new LT1 bled hydraulics set from tonkin chevy today, and ordered a mcleod clutch. i should have all of that jazz here on tuesday. i need to get the pedal assembly from skylar still, and i need a stock LT1 flywheel, then i'll be golden!
charlie6178

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooo it's been a while now since i updated. i got the car back from paint! it's 2010 camaro white, with a slight hint of pearl in it... i wasn't excited about pearl at first, but the painter insisted that we make it unique.. its grew on me and now i love it!!!

now it's been in assembly stages for a the last 2 weeks. it can't wait.

enough talk, more pics.

Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good man. Those wheels look hot. How wide are you going with the rubber?

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great!
turbo_jimi

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11
charlie6178

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fikse's are 17x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear so i'll run like a 275/40/17 up front and like a 315/30/18 rear. most likely the KDW2's.
charlie6178

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so my ADHD continues, i decided i'm not going to run the Fikse's on the car. i want it to look as factory as possible, but i hate the fitment on the factory wheels.

my latest plan has been brewing for a week or so now, and i am ready to start cutting and playing. i am going to recreate the factory 91-92 camaro 5 spoke wheel in 17x9.5" with a 5.5" BS.

i had some 01 camaro SS 10 spokes laying around (5 of them to be exact) and i took one, and cut the spokes out of it to essentially make it into a barell of a wheel. i chucked it up in the lathe and turned the entire thing down at the lips, so it has a nice double rolled lip wit the inside diameter of 15.375" and the lip is about 5" total, which gives me plenty of room.

NOW I NEED HELP FROM SOME SOMEBODY SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

i need one factory 16" camaro wheel, front or rear, doesnt matter to me. that i can chuck up in the lathe, and cut it down to where it's just a face like a 3 piece wheel would have. it looks from my rudimentary measurements of a complete wheel to be pretty damn close to the inside diameter of the hoop of the SS wheel i cut the face out of.

i can't go much further until i get a wheel to cut apart tho. i am looking for one, two, three, even a set of 4 if i have to wheels to play with so i can move forward with the project. i have a set of 4 that is on the car, but i am sure that i'm not going to get this 100% right the first time, so i would like to come up with atleast one dummy wheel to tear into first before i cut on my complete set.

i have a neighbor of mine that owns a granite business, and he is waterjet cutting me a perfectly flat piece of granite with some holes in it for a jig/layout table to get / hold the wheels straight while i tack weld them in place. it will have a hub, wheel bearing, and dial indicator mounted in it to assure everything is straight.

then after i get things tacked and welded and the wheels into one piece, and sturdy, i have talked with a Jim over at factory wheel outlet, and he is willing to get involved with me to turn the rough wheel into a finished product. he is going to help asfar as making a CNC program to cut a fresh machined finish on the face, and lip of the wheel to make it look as factory as possible.

personally i feel like it will be worth all of the time and money R&D'ing a set of custom wheels like this, just to make it all look as factory as possible. most of the time and money will be spent having the CNC programs written, and building the table / jig to build them. there for, i wouldn't be totally opposed to building more than one set if there was interest in them.

soooooooooooooooooo moral of my story is i really really really really really would love it if i could come up with a wheel to canibalize locally and the sooner the better!!

iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough*

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/wheels-tires/534275-introducing-new-wheel-boyd.html

*cough*

Ditch the polish job for painted and I think you'd have what you're after...

Oh and I didn't read the thread farther than the first two or three posts. Laughing

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
charlie6178

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is VERY similar to what i want to do, i just want it to look a little more factory. i think that the one big flat lip, gives away the custom wheel too much for what i'm going for. and i want to use a factory center cap. i want 90% of people that look at the car to think the wheels are factory stock, and walk right by it.

aaaaaaaaand i've never built a set of custom wheels and i am bored and don't already have enough of a porject as it sits hahahaha

RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fikse FM-5s!!! Hail hail Hail hail Hail hail
charlie6178

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just that everybody has the FM5's.. There's no shortage of 3rd gens with Fikse's nowadays! I want something subtle, but yet have killer fitment.
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FM-5 is my favorite wheel of all time!!!

I used to converse with the owner of this car on TGO many years ago. He custom ordered these FM-5s as they didn't have the off set for 3rdgens back then.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I've ever seen a thirdgen in person with FM5s. And I've only seen a handful on the interwebs. Jeremy (my buddy I dragged to the last portland meet) has some FM10s that look killer, even with flakey clear, but never FM5s. Shrug

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like FM5's but I agree, I've seen them on so many domestic cars that I'm already tired of them. Besides staggered diameter wheels don't look right on a third gen. We're those off of a corvette as well?
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
charlie6178

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they came on a C5 that a buddy of mine bought and put stock C5Z wheels on. I threw them on my vette for now. Never seen FM5's on a vette!!! Hahaahaa they look okay tho lol
charlie6178

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soooo i'm contuning to kick the dead horse, and playing around with wheel size, offset, manufacturing, and tinkering with every thing as i go. this is the first rough draft just to see if i even like the idea that i'm going with before i spend 100 hours to have a wheel that i'm not all that into lol

what do you guys think so far??? opinions?? constructive critisism?? totally hate it and think i'm a complete moron???

90droptoproc

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool man, I think you hit the mark if you want it to look stock. still looks clean and well designed, but fits the tred you want and has better fitment then stock

Yup yup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: