Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suspension rebuild & Chassis upgrades!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wulfist

1987 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Suspension rebuild & Chassis upgrades! Reply with quote

Hello Cascade Crew! My friends I've been busy, and I wanted to share what I bought myself with everyone here in case someone else is going to or thinking about the same upgrades/replacements. *With Pictures*

Shopping List
-UMI Performance-
>Sub-frame connectors
>Wonder bar
>Adjustable Panhard bar & rear lower control arms
>Rear lower control arm relocation brackets

-Spohn Performance-
>Sway bar front and back set
>Eibach pro kit springs (1.25" lowered)
>Front end rebuild kit with ball joints.

-Summit Racing-
>KYB front struts
>KYB back shocks

Day 1
Cleaned the garage and unpacked all the goodies, felt like an expensive Christmas! In the picture below is the mess my happiness generated. >.>

After I laid out my tools and unwrapped all the new parts, made sure everything was in one piece and complete.

^Part 1 of the inventory - sway bars, wonder bar, springs, struts, shocks, and panhard bar+lower control arms.

^Part 2 of the inventory - Relocation brackets and front end with misc stuff on the bench, like a new brake line =]

^Part 3 of inventory - Sub-frame Connectors // I'm thinking on calling Kitsap Muffler and having them weld these in my car seeing how I have no clue how to weld or the tools to do it. @Al Hasse, how did you go about this in your car?

From here I put the front end (roughly) together.

Tomorrow I will have new pictures on progress of actually involving the Camaro. On a side note I decided to kill extra time and replace those stock speakers with some mid-range Infinitys....WOW! H U G E difference!

^Old speakers
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a big shopping list. I remember doing that stuff to my car, you will really enjoy it when it gets donw.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wulfist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
That is a big shopping list. I remember doing that stuff to my car, you will really enjoy it when it gets donw.

The suspension I have currently is stock v6 suspension and am running a 305 now. When I go over a speed bump slowley I can feel my back end bottom out! When I take turns the whole car rolls and shifts. I don't think I will know what to do with myself!
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension rebuild & Chassis upgrades! Reply with quote

Wulfist wrote:
@Al Hasse, how did you go about this in your car?

Mine were installed by a couple of crewbies with welding skills Cool

I checked with Kitsap Muffler before I bought my subframe connectors. They'll do it but it'll cost about $95 per hour. I would suggest before you take it anywhere that you remove your carpet first - I had to douse a couple of hot spots while mine were going in.

Wulfist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension rebuild & Chassis upgrades! Reply with quote

Al Hasse wrote:

I checked with Kitsap Muffler before I bought my subframe connectors. They'll do it but it'll cost about $95 per hour. I would suggest before you take it anywhere that you remove your carpet first - I had to douse a couple of hot spots while mine were going in.

Thanks very much for the info! I will definitely do that when the time comes. I am going to do those last.
MrMike98

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since u are at it . how about a break upgrade to at least LS-1's up front??

as for welding-try the shop on the corner of 7th and Park..remember its not the shop , its the welder...so were ever you go find a good one.

have fun
Wulfist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMike98 wrote:
since u are at it . how about a break upgrade to at least LS-1's up front??

as for welding-try the shop on the corner of 7th and Park..remember its not the shop , its the welder...so were ever you go find a good one.

have fun

I will check that out, also, I haven't done much research into the LS1 brakes. This shopping list has cut me pretty thin financially. How much roughly for both sides is typical? Its most likely going to have to wait until later. =\

Although I do have day 2 worth of work and pictures going up tonight!
MrMike98

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

price depends on how much work u do..etc...
there are complete instructions over at 3rd gen.org.
i did most of my work, had local mach. shop do a little and i bought calipers of ebay with new rotors and pads~350.00..total
best think i have done...stock breaks are scary.......
your car will handle great but, if you can't stop!!!!!!!
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If and when you decide on a bigger brake setup, I can lend a hand there. It's pretty much a guarantee you will have to make an irreversible mod to the spindles (involves some cutting).
Wulfist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do want to upgrade my front brakes. That is something I'm willing to do down the line, I have no green backs for while this upgrade is happening. Thanks Al, you are a very awesome person and I was stupid to let you down in the past. Enough of all this! It's time for day 2 to be posted!
Wulfist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 2

Hours spent: Around 2.5

So I started pretty late today, around noon. After I set the mood with some music and got the cars front end jacked up I went straight into taking the front tires of so I could get to the old front end.

^The outer tie rods, peeled the pin back and out. After which put a wrench to it and they were relatively painless on both sides.

^After the outer tie rods were disconnected and hanging I went for the Idler mount, the tricky thing about this was you have to hold a wrench on the bolts indicated, but also put a socket through the wheel well on the other side to dismount that sucker. See picture below.

^That is where the socket goes in on the front passenger wheel well.

By the way, the outer tie rods and steering box mount all need a couple good hammer hits to break them loose. The steering box mount wasn't too hard to get out just took time with a wrench, when it broke free I had moved my head JUST in time to not get a forehead stamp.

^Looking at my old 1987 rubber bushings was sad... =[ They were very worn out and had a lot of play in them.

^After the old front end was completely out I put it next to the new one and got the inner and outer tie rods as close to the original size as possible so when I'm done I can limp it to a tire center for an alignment.

Ok so now that the old one is out and the new one is close and prepped I looked to taking out that old sway bar which also had a lot of sad rubber play in its bushings. Not to mention after it was out I could see it had been worn out severely.

^This is where on both points I took that long screw out (Or tried to). A lot of that crap has rusted over so bad I couldn't get it out, hopping to take a Sazzaw or something to it tomorrow or the next day to make way for the new polyurethane bushings. After those you need to unbolt the two clam shells near the middle of the sway bar and drop it down. I forgot to take a picture of this part. =[ Afterwards I used the clam shells and prepped the new sway bar to go in.

Day 3s goal is to have the old struts and springs out and start putting all the new stuff in so I can focus on the back end. More updates as they happen. Overall today was VERY fun, cold, and painful with a near head injury. =]
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need an impact and a recip saw my friend. Cool
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfff, big arse hammer and some pb blaster, and you should be able to pound the center screw clear from the sleeve. You can take the old sway bar out first, just undo the inboard mounts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
big arse hammer and some pb blaster

Just because you like to spend all day huffing and banging, John... Razz
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me work hard...really, ME?!? I have an air hammer just for instances like that. Pnematics FTW. Now days I would probably just buzz it off with a cutoff disk. I found that having a 90* and a straight grinder are the two tools I use by far the most. I use them for almost everything from cutting to smoothing to slapping a scotchbright pad on to clean metal surfaces.
Wulfist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
You need an impact and a recip saw my friend. Cool

Unfortunately I do not have these fancy things. I'll try my best to get that thing off tomorrow, the old sway bar is in fact out, but I really need to get those out too ASAP, and I will probably have to drop the A-arms and have those new ball joints put in because I don't have the necessary tools. =[
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like fire myself. Nothing like a nice toasty bushing campfire to roast marshmellows over.
MrMike98

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-arm bushings will need to be changed out...so when u have ur ball joints pressed in and out have them instll new bushing.....
Wulfist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMike98 wrote:
A-arm bushings will need to be changed out...so when u have ur ball joints pressed in and out have them instll new bushing.....

Will do, no update for today. Tomorrow I plan to hit it before school and gym so we will see if I wake up early enough

With hope day 3 will come out tomorrow!
Wulfist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this has been taking forever, I do have Day 3 and 4 to post and will be doing so later this evening. Hope everyone is having an awesome week!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: