Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone know about updates for a tpi car?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: anyone know about updates for a tpi car? Reply with quote

i took my car to a shop and they ran it on the computer. they said there have been 3 updates for my cars prom. they said that was what was makin it knock sometimes. anyone know if this is possible? they said to take it too the gm dealer and get the updates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ET phone hoME

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems moderatly reasonable but id call your local dealer and ask if there are updates for your prom and if they have them, maybe say it in a way as if this is a normal thing, im sure they could come up with and update if you have no idea whats happening.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of it personally, but I am no expert.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also never heard of a PROM update for TPI cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of seatbelt recalls, e-brake recalls, etc. but in my travels have not ever heard of a PROM recall or update. Mr. Goodwrench will know for sure. If there is one I would imagine that they would have a replacement prom... I doubt that they are burning chips at the dealership for our cars.

It almost makes you wonder what year your mechanic was using when he did this research.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schultzy89GTA wrote:
It almost makes you wonder what year your mechanic was using when he did this research.

-Schultzy

Whatever it was, I hope he shared. Very Happy Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Flyte risk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 85 TPI cars did have a problem with the proms that was fixed under a recall of some sort. thats the only prom issue I've ever heard of.
85 T/A WS6

1985 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/idxref.html
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i took the car to gm a few weeks ago. they said theres no updates. im changin out the egr valve, they suggested starting there. i got it all apart but i cant get the damn bolt on the back side of the egr. i cant seem to find a tool at any stores thats gonna work. anyone have any ideas what i might be able to do? i did notice thats its not as hard to take it all apart as the gm guy said it would be. they wanted like 600 bucks to change it out. lol. i was like yeah ok i'll just take my car home now. oh yeah. i wont be gettin it back together till the weekend. i noticed that its really black inside the plenum. what should i use to clean it out good? will carb cleaner work ok?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidcamaro wrote:
well i took the car to gm a few weeks ago. they said theres no updates. im changin out the egr valve, they suggested starting there. i got it all apart but i cant get the damn bolt on the back side of the egr. i cant seem to find a tool at any stores thats gonna work. anyone have any ideas what i might be able to do? i did notice thats its not as hard to take it all apart as the gm guy said it would be. they wanted like 600 bucks to change it out. lol. i was like yeah ok i'll just take my car home now. oh yeah. i wont be gettin it back together till the weekend. i noticed that its really black inside the plenum. what should i use to clean it out good? will carb cleaner work ok?

The black in the plenum is carbon buildup. Unless is physcially blocking something, leave it alone. You'd have to soak it on carb cleaner/gas or something to clean it out.

Maybe take out the distributor to put an end wrench on the bolt?
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i use a wrench its hitting the fuel regulator. i would rather not have to take it out if possible. maybe if i can find a wrench with a bend it in it like a distributor wrench.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its hittin the fuel regulator... pop the 4 retaining bolts off the fuel rail and lift up. The rains +injectors will come up and should give you just enough umph to get it. Might have to undo the front fuel line bolt at the front of the intake/head.

Put a dab of vaseline around the injector O rings before sliding them back in. (makes things 10 times easier, and they wont have the possability of tearing)
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the injectors just pull out? im thinkin thats the way im gonna have to do it.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidcamaro wrote:
the injectors just pull out? im thinkin thats the way im gonna have to do it.

Yep. They have little clips that attach them to the fuel rails... and they just slip up right out of the manifold.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool. thanks for the help. im gonna tackle it this weekend and hopefully ill have my car running good again.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the old egr out. but the new one looks a bit different. heres a few pics of them both

the new one is the one on the left. it doesnt have that same thing sticking out of the bottom. does anyone if this new without that little thing will work?
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of times the new ones will look different. Does your new one require the installation of a washer? Looks like it does. You need to pick the right size one from the instruction sheet then swedge it in place with a center punch. This will make the new egr valve flow the same as the old one.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it does have washers. but it has a list of numbers, the number on my old one is like 1709106 but the sheet that has the numbers on the new one go from 1709105 to 107. it doesnt show one for 106.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it is possible you have the wrong one. Without knowing which # washer you need the car wont run correctly.
kidcamaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suppose i should take it back then. i got it napa but ill go to gm and get it this time. thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: