Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EGR Digital control issues!?!?!...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not always. Found several times the load side of the fuse pin tension is loose. Fuse shows power on both legs, but it doesn't get past the fuse itself.

Found a lot when people use those fuse jump pieces that go around the fuse. It spreads the pins.

chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exception to every rule.. But I bet you still agree that you should electrically check fuses instead of just looking at them.
sheltonw3

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well either way , it turns out there are quite few things that this car needs to have fixed and replaced, it turns out some parts were never fixed and some other parts were not upgraded, so I will start with the bulb and check the fuse in the engine bay and compile a list of what will be upgraded , the car had some work done back in early april and small tune up in mid august , but since its going nowhere now , I might as well get everything else done, the [Ing] module most likely is shot and since the egr shot sparks we're just gonna upgrade it anyways , we already did 1/4 of the other items in the engine bay and just get it running again and put in some new front KYB-GR-2 shocks and later on do the rear shocks as well, the next car shows are coming up some time in march!

and in the mean time I gotta search for some 82' trans am parts soon, my friends up north are restoring a 82' recaro and 84 T/A to there former glories and hope the have them running by late july!

BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check all of the fuses to be safe....you're already there lol notfan of test lights dvom is the way to go, I'm concerned as to why the egr threw sparks......it makes no sense to me
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
Exception to every rule.. But I bet you still agree that you should electrically check fuses instead of just looking at them.

Of course. Just had to point out the above as I've run into it now on several vehicles friends and work! It's a PITA to find.

In training, I've actually had the instructor cut off the leg of the fuse!

chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like when you check every fuse in the box and they're all good.. only to get out the electrical diagram and find out the customer had removed it! Fill in one of the blank spaces and whatever comes back to life. LOL
sheltonw3

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem RESOLVED!...I checked at the battery area first , went around could'nt find anything bad or shot , while I was checking , I remember this guy named Scott from Ohio was telling me about how some time the main battery cable can easily become the culprit of the car not starting if it gets "inter wire corrosion"...So I traced the wiring back to the right side of the engine bay and tested the wiring there and got dead signal and followed the main 2nd lead and it itself was trapped in the split loom it had done bubble up and not only corroded but it melted!....So I went in and pulled 9" of 10 gauge red wire and spliced it in and threw in a clanp to the pos terminal and the ol' sumbitch fire on up!....so the next step will be to replace the whole battery to starter cable and get a 8 gauge wire with a crimp on and mountable ring terminal to battery and that should be a perminate fix there*
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the fusible link died? If so, you need to put another in or you'll have an engine fire.
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
So the fusible link died? If so, you need to put another in or you'll have an engine fire.

Minor details sir, engine fires cant be THAT bad Laughing

Id listen to paul and replace the fusible link, that stretchy/crunchy wire you yanks is an old school fuse so put a new one in its place or whatever caused it to burn up wont be so clean next time, you may be out of a car

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheltonw3 wrote:
So I went in and pulled 9" of 10 gauge red wire and spliced it in

Duh
sheltonw3

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car isn't going anywhere til the cable problem is fixed and the wire itself connects off the positive terminal and when it was installed in early 2007 it had to be crimped, thats the way it was made and GM cleary made it this way, so I am going a different route and I may end up keeping the starter cable the way it is and just place in a whole new cable direct from the battery to where the fusible links are mounted in and avoid crimping to the battery , the first time it happend the whole thing was completly corrupt and its just better to redoo as every else has done!...I have seen this done on 3rd gen dot orgs web site hundreds of times!...and this will allow me to add some new power add-on options and install an inverter down the road!
sheltonw3

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whne it rains , it pours, I was doing a full inspection on the car and the right break line POPPED! Shocked ....But its alright We already had the new line in the trunk , just gotta til my break guy gets here on saturday!
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good thing you caught it doing an inspection, and not going down the interstate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: