Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4th into a 3rd, or 3rd for a 4th

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it worth it?
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

RoosterC

1988 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: 4th into a 3rd, or 3rd for a 4th Reply with quote

I'm out on deployment right now and have been contemplating whether I should go through with the LS1/T-56 swap on my 3rd Gen, but everyone else here is saying otherwise and that I would regret destroying the 4th gen for my 3rd.

I'd basically buy a donor 4th and swap over all the interchangeable parts, 3rd gen body with 4th gen options. I know this would take a while and is going to be a PITA, but the thought of making my 3rd a beast is tempting. The only thing I'm worried about on my 3rd would be rust removal/restoration. I know the old sand prime paint adage, but don't exactly have the skills or knowledge to hit all the big things and I think that could go as far as tearing the car down to the frame and hitting the car up with Rhino Liner. The car appears to be rust free on the frame Rolling Eyes I do have mapped out what parts need changing and essentially how to do the swap, and have a lift/garage to play around in

If I get the 4th gen there would probably be a trans upgrade to the Magnum so I wouldn't have to worry about the current trans taking a dump on me. The car would be driveable from the day that I get it and no mods are required.

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you waste the money buying a whole car? I have an entire fourthgen drivetrain in my car and I never bought one. Wink
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would totally not feel bad about destroying a 4thgen to make my 3rdgen better.

As the saying goes:

It's easier to make a 3rdgen fast than it is to make a 4thgen look good.

83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius wrote:
I would totally not feel bad about destroying a 4thgen to make my 3rdgen better.

As the saying goes:

It's easier to make a 3rdgen fast than it is to make a 4thgen look good.

Quoted for the win!

Coming from another one who now has 4th gen drivetrain in hits 3rd gen. It is royally worth it.

The respect you get from having a badass thirdgen is way more than any 4th gen guys get. Besides if you want a ls1 4th gen, just get a chrysler sebring, they pretty much look the same.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't make money sense to buy a 4th gen to improve a 3rd gen. The only reason you would do it is if you want to, so it's a decision only you can make. Our opinions really don't matter.
RoosterC

1988 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you guys go about buying parts for your swap? I was thinking a Junk Yard, but that's always sketchy
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought two engines and a trans off of craigslist. Intake manifold, turbo, fuel injectors flywheel, clutch and some other stuff was bought off of FullThrottleV6. Junkyard provided small items.
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scored the lt1, t56, wiring harness, computer, and shifter all from the same car from a local guy not really sure where he got it. Probably off craps list or something.

But over all, I couldn't be happier.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the cheapest route is buying a wrecked 4th gen as a donor and parting out body and interior to recoup as much as possible. Preferrably a car that has been hit in the rear so the interior is still intact and air bags didn't blow. A complete dash with packed air bags is worth some money. You've got to be willing to deal with the part-out process and have enough space to store the junker. But the plus side is you get EVERYTHING with the engine, all wiring, LS1 radiator and fans, LS1 brake upgrade, foot pedals, and anything else you might want off the car.

Next on cost scale is buying a complete engine/trans drop-out with harness, ECM, and accessories. You'll have most things you need that are specific to the 4th gen without having to mess with a junker car sitting at your house.

Piece mealing parts can nickel and dime you to death if you aren't careful. I went this route because a stock engine was of little use to me and I had to buy a lot of new parts anyway. There are two things I have a lot of: Time and cash. I spent almost every evening for many months looking for parts and good deals at various forums. That's a lot of time but it also taught me a lot of things about what I do and don't want. The other thing I did was put my cash to work to save me a lot of money. I took a risk with $10K and bought the engine, drivetrain, suspension, and fuel system from a '99 Camaro twin turbo part-out. I sold all the stuff I didn't want and got back all my money. Plus, I kept for myself a Viper spec T56, matching driveline, RAM twin disc clutch and flywheel, HP Tuner Pro, and UMI torque arm. This is about $6K of stuff that I got free. I tell you this because most people will say it's a waste of money buying everything seperate. Not necessarily. Depends how you go about it and what deals you stumble on.

Some items you want for the swap are in high demand and if you see it for a reasonable price then snag it immediately before it is gone (see below). Trust me, trying to get a steal of a deal on these items will usually leave you empty handed when somebody else walks away with it.

• Engine/trans harness for '99-'02 6 speed car in perfect condition. Expect to pay $250.
  • '01-'02 engine PCM. Little more desirable and easier to tune with than previous years. DO NOT buy a '98 PCM.
  • Hawks 3rd gen swap headers. Riots have been started over people fighting to get a nice used set because it costs rediculous amount new.
  • Skulte trans crossmember with double hump, if you happen to find one. Not made any more.
  • FAST 90 or 92 intake, if that's what you want
  • Low mileage complete F body front accessory drive. None of the brackets are serviced any longer and can't be purchased new at dealer.
  • Cheap copy of HP Tuner.
RoosterC

1988 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for all the advice Smile

I'm definitely going to evaluate the condition of the car when I get back and see how long/if a restoration is needed, then do the LS1 swap.

If you happen to find a 4th that got wrecked from the rear let me know Very Happy

Leejo2005

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish I would have taken the 5.3 out of my trailblazer after I wrecked it. The insurance company probably wouldn't have been to happy finding a cardboard box where the engine should be.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much was the buyback? If it was cheap enough it would have made sense to pull the motor and sell the rest for scrap.
Leejo2005

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time I hadn't even considered it. I was preparing to deploy and just took the payout and bought the firebird a few months later. If I could go back I think I would have bought it back from them. It was still driveable, the tailgate just got...peeled open by a bus. It had the aluminum 5.3 too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: