Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Porting and Other Bolt Ons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan S

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Porting and Other Bolt Ons Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I'm running a 1991 L98 with a dbl roller timing chain, AIR Delete, Hooker shortys, MSD Streetfire Coil and a Dynomax catback system. I'm looking for a little more HP up top. Has anybody on here done, or have experience with Porting and siamesing the tubes/upper and lower intake, and can give me advice? Or upgrading to SLP runners? Also, can anybody give me input on running 1.6 ratio RR's are they worth it to upgrade?
All advice is greatly appreciated!
Thank You,

Ryan_S
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look to go stealthram or something else like that, unless you can get a smoking deal on TPI parts (read: free), or just want to do it to try it out.

The issue with TPI's RPM limitions is only partly flow, the lenght of the runners is not good for performance above 4k revvs, its the nature of the long runner design.

1.6 RR's, I honestly wouldn't bother with them by themselves, I would rather spend the money to stab a cam in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ryan S

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest biggest problem is my car is a '90 and I still need to pass a few more emissions tests, and the HSR doesn't support EGR, a cam would be good, I'd really like to upgrade my block to a 4 bolt main one before I make my engine perform better at a different RPM
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with 2 bolt main for the majority of people. Spend your money where it counts instead and help the engine breath.
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2 on what dewey said.

I dont think there is any reason to go to a 4 bolt main unless you are spinning that thing rediculously fast or making stupid amounts of torque. Seems that the turbo small blocks on the turbo forums don't really care between 4 or 2 bolt unless your in the 800 hp range. Absolutely no facts backing this up, just the general opinion I've noticed.

89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need EGR to pass emissions in Washington state, they do not test for NOx on older cars.

TPI is stupid, throw that crap in the woods. Razz

Can't bolt on a port job so the title of this topic makes no sense.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. No visual here in WA and no cares about the NOx, so you're good to go with a Stealth Ram. My Subaru handily passes WA emissions with no cats and no EGR.

Start worrying about a 4-bolt when you are making over 5-600RWHP.

TPI even with a port job and different plenum, runners, base etc still isn't too happy above 4k, like Dewey said it's runner length that is your big issue and there's no way to fix that aside from throwing on a different intake.

As the owner of an HSR on a mild 350, I will say that it will not give up a ton of low-end torque, but it will be plenty happy to flow as much air as you need even in excess of 6k RPM. It's a great budget intake that gives you more bang-for-the-buck than any other.

If you're interested, I can probably dig up and post my dyno graph and I'm sure someone else here with a graph for a TPI 350 could post one up as well. Aaron might still have his from the IROC.

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys. 4 bolt or allayed is needed at the 350 rwhp level. The problem is crank flex because the caps can't keep it in place. You wear the main bearings out in about 20k miles. Been there done that. And there is no reason to go 4 bolt unless you get a forged crank to go with.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius wrote:
like Dewey said it's runner length that is your big issue and there's no way to fix that aside from throwing on a different intake.

Porting a TPI intake is like drinking out of a crazy straw and then saying "the drink doesn't get through it fast enough, I think I need a wider one." Rolling Eyes
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Alphius wrote:
like Dewey said it's runner length that is your big issue and there's no way to fix that aside from throwing on a different intake.

Porting a TPI intake is like drinking out of a crazy straw and then saying "the drink doesn't get through it fast enough, I think I need a wider one." Rolling Eyes

A larger diameter straw would get you your favorite beverage faster.
Ryan S

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha alright, I guess I'll just save up and with the HSR.
Thanks a lot for the input everyone it's really nice to know what mods are cost effective before I just go out and waste money on stupid TPI ones.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you got the ACCEL base, AS&M runners and ported the plenum to match, the TPI still has a TUNED issue which is what dewey was talking about. It's TUNED by runner length and positioning that causes a clash above peak torque. The Larger setup moves that number up to about 5200rpm, but if you've got good heads and cam, you'll need closer to 6000rpm.

You absolutely cannot beat the low rpm TPI torque though. The HSR will suck you in your seat slowely as it builds more power, TPI pins you to the seat instantly.

DBL_TKE

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happened to making the best use of what you got? I was hoping for some good insight with this thread because I can't stray away from the stock TPI setup but instead got a bunch of same old responses saying not to bother with it.
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSR or Stealth ram, some kind of stand alone tuning system you can tweak with values on (Holley Commander, megasquirt, etc..) are a good investment. you'll be a couple thousand into it, but the tune-ablilty will make it seem worth while.

Then you can think about internal engine mods, (cam, rocker arms, 4 bolt block, etc.) because you'll have a platform that can be edited for mods.

<--humble .02
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealthram with AFPR for about $600.

What's the cost of a $400 Base and $2-300 runners?

End of story.

TPI is excellent in stock form, or built for towing.

Not for performance or power. Period. Sorry guys, it's just the way it is. It's not what it was built or designed for. We all wonder why it wasn't implemented into trucks but the TBI was.... because TBI has more power potential than TPI.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBL_TKE wrote:
Whatever happened to making the best use of what you got? I was hoping for some good insight with this thread because I can't stray away from the stock TPI setup but instead got a bunch of same old responses saying not to bother with it.

Stop whining and show us how it's done, champ. Wink
Leejo2005

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get one of these and be done with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-TURBO-POWER-AIR-INTAKE-SUPERCHARGER-KIT-NEW-?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item3a69d5a589&item=250883712393&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one day I'll get a truck and stick a TPI on it for pulling torque. That sounds like a great idea, actually.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBL_TKE wrote:
Whatever happened to making the best use of what you got?

There is something to be said if it is cost effective, I said, if he got stuff free, or was just going to port it himself over the winter, sure go for it. But if you are going to spend the money on a base/runner combo for TPI, spend the money on something else and get more bang for the buck.

Now, if you really want to keep TPI. The trick is knowing the RPM range you want power in, and trying to adjust the reflection length for the harmonics based on that. The TPI setup has the runners the lenght they are to get the 3rd wave harmonic from the intake valve closed to reflect back at about 4200 RPM. The width of the runner will NOT change this. It masks some of the effects if you get runners larger than needed, but it is still there. The only way to really use the TPI style intake above that range is to get true siamessed runners, and actually shorten the distance between the reflection point at the mouth of the plenum to the intake port (This is not easy, since the outside wall will be longer than the inside wall, it won't reflect the same way as stock). THEN, you have to get a cam that matches with a torque peak at the same RPM as the runner's harmonic length. (the other hitch here, is you can hit a 2nd wave harmonic at higher RPM, so if you were to add a bell extention onto the TPI intake, you might be able to get the right lenght for a 2nd wave in the right RPM range, but with the added lenght would need some pretty good flow to make it work at the higher RPM)

--John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IROCDave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your cash, buy a decent sent of after market heads, cam and intake.

If you were able to open up the intake, the stock cam would be the next obstacle. The next obstacle would be the heads.

If your after performance, all three need to be changed. Intake, cam, and heads. The exhaust also needs to attention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: