Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dash gauge reads weak voltage.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you certain that the trigger and sense wires are working correctly? Had a faulty trigger wire on a CS130 cause an issue like this one time.
kutison

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, but now I have two new wires to be concerned about. Where are they and what do they do?

The 2 wires coming off the harness?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Are you certain that the trigger and sense wires are working correctly? Had a faulty trigger wire on a CS130 cause an issue like this one time.

The two wires in the connector should both have 12 volts on them with the key in run, you can unplug the connector and check with a meter. Key off, there should be 12 volts on the larger of the two - the red one.
kutison

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, ok, ill check in the morning after school. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kutison

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car off, red is 12.72 brown is 0
Car on, both wires are 12.36

I checked with the harness detached
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct.

Are the terminals on the alternator getting a good connection?
kutison

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks clean enough to me, I assume any problem would be on the harness, the alternator connections are all new.

Not sure how I should properly clean them though. Wire brush? battery terminal spray?
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all I know, that was my problem too. I soldered a new connector onto the harness along with putting in an alternator from O'reilly's, couldn't get either NAPA unit to turn on. That connector did look pretty bad though. I also performed all my continuity checks from alternator to battery to starter prior to installing the new alternator, and while loosening the battery positive, it broke off inside. Fortunately, I could use a scribe to get what was left of the post to turn and backed it out and got a new one to replace it. While on topic with the battery, you might want to check your connections there and make sure they're clean.
kutison

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just double check the connector and it looks fine. The contacts are nice and shiny. I tested the voltage on the contacts with the harness disconnected so it seems like it's working fine.
kutison

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh, new battery check, new alternator tested good, installed both and.... Same problem Evil or Very Mad

I just so happened to notice an orange wire, to the immediate right of the battery that been destroyed. there is a black cylinder just up from the break. (fusible link?) So that needs to be repaired, but is it related to my current problem?
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of something:

Check for resistance between the lug on the back of the alternator and the positive terminal on the battery with the engine off. Should be very little/no resistance.
kutison

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the multimeter set to "200" the OHMs were around 180, car off, acc on.

More importantly, I twisted that orange wire back together to see what it did, and I got a reading of 14.62 with the car running. Seems like that was my problem.

I would solder in a piece of wire, but since I don't have a wireless soldering gun, and live in an apartment ill just twist and tape or heat shrink. Embarassed
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like someone rerouted the alternator feed from the starter solenoid to the battery.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kutison wrote:
I would solder in a piece of wire, but since I don't have a wireless soldering gun, and live in an apartment ill just twist and tape or heat shrink. Embarassed

You don't need a solder iron to do it right. Use crimps with solder already in them, all you need is a crimp tool and something to shrink the insulation and melt the solder.

Crimps like the ones in this link

http://www.repairconnector.com/categories/SOLDER-CRIMP-HEAT-SHRINK-CONNECTORS/
kutison

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what it was, but it didnt seem to come directly off the battery. Problem is fixed though, 14.4 with the car running.

Although in the process a headlight went out, and my window spray stopped working (heard a fuse blow) nither of which will keep me from the road though.

So thanks for the help everyone, I learned a lot and appreciate everyone taking their time to help me. +10 cool points to the crew.
DBL_TKE

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very informative thread, I've been having a similar issue where when the engines cold and on high idle the voltage reads normal but once the idle has settled down the voltage reads weak and drops with each additional load (headlights, radio, heater,etc). I'll be doing dome tests tomorrow.
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kutison

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the wire I was talking about.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't put that back together, it's a fusible link that did its job. You need to replace the link which should include the length of orange wire, the black plastic piece and a short length of the red wire. Take the number off the plastic piece for the correct size and get a new link at the parts store.
kutison

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, but I thought the fuse was supposed to blow, not the wire. So much to learn...
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a fusible link, the wire is the fuse. The wire that separated is smaller than the wire it protects. Because it's smaller, it doesn't handle as much current and will "burn out" and separate before the larger one, thus protecting your harness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: