Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird stuff going on w/my SD 350 diesel. Suggestions 4 shop?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kage87Z

1969 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Weird stuff going on w/my SD 350 diesel. Suggestions 4 shop? Reply with quote

Speedometer goes off, ABS light comes on and overdrive light on the shifter flashes on and off... sometimes all 3 at once, sometimes the OD light and the speedo act up together, sometimes the ABS light comes on by itself. Then the speedo will come back on. Fuse #3 USED to blow, but it doesn't any more.

None of these things cause the rig to run any differently.

Also, I need the linkage adjusted (Shows park but it's in reverse, won't start in "P", so I have to move it into "N" to start it.)

I'd like a recommendation or 2 for shops in the Vancouver area that could deal with this.

Thanks!

Todd Beamer - 9/11
Never Forget

My 69's story: http://myspace.com/69camaro454

My 87 Z/28's tale of woah... http://myspace.com/87Zcamaro383
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedo and ABS could be the speed sensor on the rear end. One bolt, easy to change and cheap. Shifter sounds like the linkage is coming loose somewhere.
IROCDave

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My typical response would be to purchase a GM product and get rid of the problem but, alas, I have been in the same situation with late model GM vehicles lately.

Not sure how Fords electrical system is setup, but it seems like all manufactures have copied the Germans for the last 15 years. So you have a control module for the engine, brakes, body, transmission and maybe interior? Check the fuses and realys, then find out which CM controls all of the things you are having an issue with.

FYI, in the last 3 years the following have gone on the Fritz in my GM vehicles..as I type this I understand why this term was coined 50 years ago. Under engineered with the assumption that the original design would be followed by typicall German over engineering...

Power door lock on the passengers side of my wifes Tahoe quit working. BCM tits up, 135.00 bucks to replace.
Gauge cluster on my 03 Duramax would go nuts intermitently, bad doid on the cluster printed board, replaced under recall.
Power window died on the Tahoe. Replaced motor / regulator, works like a champ again.

If you have more than one issue pop up at the same time look for the larger problem, control module.
Kage87Z

1969 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:
Speedo and ABS could be the speed sensor on the rear end. One bolt, easy to change and cheap. Shifter sounds like the linkage is coming loose somewhere.

Speed sensor was the first thing I changed. Didn't make any difference.

I believe my truck needs a shrink. That said, I'm clearly in over my head.

IROCDave wrote:

If you have more than one issue pop up at the same time look for the larger problem, control module.

That's WAY above my paygrade. A relay used to chatter under the dash... where it seems there are 30 relays... but it doesn't any more.

That's why the request for a shop recommendation.

Todd Beamer - 9/11
Never Forget

My 69's story: http://myspace.com/69camaro454

My 87 Z/28's tale of woah... http://myspace.com/87Zcamaro383
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IROCDave wrote:
Power door lock on the passengers side of my wifes Tahoe quit working. BCM tits up, 135.00 bucks to replace.
Gauge cluster on my 03 Duramax would go nuts intermitently, bad doid on the cluster printed board, replaced under recall.
Power window died on the Tahoe. Replaced motor / regulator, works like a champ again.

Laughing All three of those things were weekly, almost daily occurrences while I worked at the chev store.
IROCDave

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem modern cars have cannot be diagnosed with logic. Most of the time it is something that would appear to be unrelated to common sense. The internet is not the source that I thought it would have been when you encounter electrical problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: