Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My '91 Z28
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBL_TKE

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '85 is not drivable. No engine, transmission, springs or shocks/struts.
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you parting it out?
Kage87Z

1969 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That car is insane... When I saw it at the track, there was a slobber problem.

Mine.

Stare Factor: 10.

Todd Beamer - 9/11
Never Forget

My 69's story: http://myspace.com/69camaro454

My 87 Z/28's tale of woah... http://myspace.com/87Zcamaro383
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSFreak wrote:
Are you parting it out?

That's the plan. When I get some time I'll disassemble everything then make a separate post for it.

Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I picked up a pair of 10" Kicker Comp VR's (2ohm, dual voice coils). I'll be wiring them up soon. Very Happy

DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a few other goodies that are patiently waiting for me.

Stay tuned... Smile

DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: SLP Loudmouth 2 Reply with quote

I purchased this exhaust over a year ago and finally got around to installing it on my car. It is a 3" stainless steel cat back exhaust system designed for a 4th gen F-body. It uses a bullet style muffler positioned before the rear axle, then splits off into two tail pipes after the over-axle bend.

I forgot to take more pictures but in order to install this on a 3rd gen you have to swap the hangers from left to right. The intermediate pipe going to the muffler is too short to reach the y-pipe so when I cut off my old exhaust I left about 8-10" on it past the y-pipe connection. Now this is on a factory dual cat car so that means those with a single cat would also need the 45* bend to reach the cat.

I measured all the pipes to see what it's true diameter is:

2.75" ID at the pipe that connects to the Y-pipe
3" muffler
3" over the axle
2.75" tail pipes
3.5" tips

I have a few things to note. I'm not that impressed with the quality of the stainless steel. Seems to be a pretty low grade especially compares to the muffler, or even to that of Magnaflow. There is a mix of band clamps and regular exhaust clamps. I don't like how poorly D-shaped exhaust clamps seal. IMO they should all be band clamps.

Overall I'm very satisfied though. I was surprised at the sound. Everyone kept telling me how raspy and loud these exhausts are but in fact it isn't. It has a very deep bassy tone at idle, and really wakes up with a deep aggressive tone at WOT. keep in mind that I'm still running the factory manifolds, Y-pipe and cats. It's very quiet inside the cabin driving around town with the windows up. I'll post a sound clip soon.

DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/Sk8erBoiX11/91%20Camaro%20Z28/19f63ee8.mp4

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horseshoe clamps should be called horse-something else clamps. Wink I'd consider buying band clamps for the whole thing if you don't want to have it all welded.

Sounds very nice. It will get more raspy when you install headers and gut the cats, but it will lose some of that low drone.
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate rasp, I'll be keeping cats as required for the STU and ESP classes for autocross. And this exhaust doesn't drone at all. If it did I wouldn't mind, it doesn't bother me. But I'm definitely going to get some more band clamps. 3 x 2.75" and 1 x 3".

In fact I may entertain the idea of deleting the muffler altogether. I thought this exhaust would be louder.

TurdGen1989

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jelly
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm on my way home last night I noticed a "noise" that turned my stomach. I'll be diagnosing it tomorrow. Good thing I never got rid of my old 305...
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was just God telling you to buy a better engine than a POS TPI 305. Wink
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
That was just God telling you to buy a better engine than a POS TPI 305. Wink

Lol true, but my autocross class strictly limits me to the bone stock engine that my car was equipped with from the factory. Besides, if I'm going to do an engine swap I want it to be on my own terms.

Anyway, here's the deal. Last night I made a few passes at the drag strip. There were no engine problems or noises at all, ran the same as usual. After 20+ miles of driving once I was done racing I started to notice a rattling noise coming from the drivetrain, below the car. I'm familiar with what rod knock sounds like now Rolling Eyes and that was my first fear. However, this seems to be a bit different. While racing I had one pass where the tranny wouldn't go into 2nd gear. I brushed it off, everybody tries to shift faster than their ability once in awhile. The next pass I missed 3rd gear. Again I thought maybe I was being a little overzealous with my shifting. But I've been having a clutch chatter problem, plus it'll grind going into 4th (only under full throttle shifting at redline, and I've been noticing lately that the shudder is slightly intermittent.

The noise can be described as an inconsistent but constant rattle that almost goes away when applying throttle and is most noticeable when the engine is coming back down in revs. Doesn't matter if it's in gear or not, or if the clutch is engages/disengaged. Definitely coming from underneath the car. Engine performance isn't affected at all, can't even feel it. It is definitely not a rhythmic rattle, and doesn't not increase with RPM'S. Also I did one cold start and it was completely gone for several minutes until everything warmed up.

Last edited by DBL_TKE on Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We rained out at the drag strip so I put my car on the lift at the shop. Again there was no noise on cold start up. You could start to hear a rattle that continued to increase with time and heat. I eliminated the sound from the engine at all, also eliminated it from the transmission. It turned out to be one of my catalytic converters actually. Used a long screw driver as a stethoscope to pinpoint it. The thought had crossed my mind that it might be exhaust related but I dismissed that idea simply because things never turn out that easy for my cars Laughing

This is a blessing in disguise, my next mod will probably be headers, y-pipe and cats. On that note I gotta get cracking and pick some out. I still have my Edebrock TES shorties but those are complete junk. However I've been toying with the idea of cutting off the collectors, welding some real collectors on and replacing the crappy y-pipe merge with a better design. Can anyone point me in the right direction to some decent header collectors?

Otherwise I'm considering some Hooker 2055's or Dyno Dons. But I'd rather see if I can work with what I got.

Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whew! glad to hear that it wasn't more serious.

Cool

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just how do they test to make sure you have a 305 and not a 350 in the car? If you cant see the casting #s it gets pretty difficult to tell.
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
So just how do they test to make sure you have a 305 and not a 350 in the car? If you cant see the casting #s it gets pretty difficult to tell.

True, but any racer is able to file a protest, which do get reviewed. While it's not likely to happen at local events, it's frequent at regional championships and the tech inspectors will investigate the issue at hand until it is resolved. In any case, you are responsible for classing your own car and following the rules. I do have a few little "rule bending" idea's that probably won't get noticed though, such as 1.6 rockers, ported heads, ported, intake, etc. I already have 3.73 gears and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator which are both illegal.

And Schultzy, You're relieved? How do you think I feel. Laughing

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand wanting to stay in class. If your shopping headers I'm guessing it's Street Touring?
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBL_TKE wrote:

And Schultzy, You're relieved? How do you think I feel. Laughing

Hehe I hear you bud. I have been there and done that so even though it wasn't me, my stomach felt a little sick that your sweet new Z might have had a major problem. Enjoy the sweet feeling of relief!

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: